Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip to Ireland  (Read 4355 times)

AJSJones

Trip to Ireland
« on: March 02, 2004, 07:41:42 pm »

Ireland in April? Hmmmmmmmm, don't forget the umbrella :-)

Seriously though, what you've selected seems right for your stated  shooting goals.  I personally would add the 70-200 and a 1.4x - I would feel "naked" without some long capability and that's a light versatile combo to add.  Think of a ruined monastery in a misty (!) vale in the morning, or the sun peeking through the clouds onto a distant cliff - there's lots of landscapes that aren't wide-angle. (and those were in July!) Look at some of Michael's landscapes - a not inconsiderable fraction are using long lenses.  I'm still trying to get to see the "little" ones in the landscape the way he does!  Be a shame to miss them.  For walking tours, the 17-40 on the camera most of the time but the 70-200 in a day-pack with the filter case?

Enjoy!
Andy

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Trip to Ireland
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 09:17:37 am »

Hello Dave,   I was in Ireland in 2002 with family.
A real challenge to take out gear and seriously try to photograph scenics with family sitting in car or watching from distance waiting for me to get done.

In April it will probably be very cloudy most of the time and gray.  Not very photogenic with sky in image.  The telephoto shots will enable you to create some interesting closeups of the topography and country scenes.
http://www.inspirationalnature.com/html/index.cfm
This is my website: go to Galleries then International
in the first row is Countryside which is Ireland with telephoto lens.  This was taken with the 100-400 EF lens
Good luck on your trip
Larry

GerardK

• http://www.kingma.nu
Trip to Ireland
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 02:27:12 pm »

I'd say at least lose the 100 mm macro and get an extension tube, doesn't contain glass, doesn't weigh so much but can be used with both your 17-40 and your 70-200 for effective macro photography. All those shades of green in moss close-up...

I've got Ireland pictures at www.kingma.nu. Enjoy. Don't miss Donegal.

gurtch

Trip to Ireland
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 06:08:05 pm »

Hi all:
My wife and I are taking a vacation trip to Ireland the end of April. I'm not sure how much of my photo equipment I should take. If I take my entire digital SLR outfit, I won't be able to carry it on walking tours, etc. My primary interest is seascapes/landscapes; but I do plan on taking my fast 50mm lens for taking available light shots in local pubs (which we both inbibe in). Should I take a flash and off camera extension cords? I will take a 17~40mm f4L for landscapes/seascapes, with polarizer and ND grads. So definately, I will take the 50mm and WA zoom. The questionable items are 70~200 f4L,  100mm f2.8 macro lens, a 400 f5.6L, and 1.4X and 2X extenders. I will take a monopod and lightweight "travel" tripod in my suitcase. I can't imagine needing a macro and long lenses, so was thinking of leaving them home. Any experienced travellers to Ireland? Given my photo interests, what would you take, in an effort to travel light? The camera body is a 1Ds, and you know what they weigh, so weight is a concern.
Thanks in advance.
Dave Gurtcheff in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

gurtch

Trip to Ireland
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 09:20:26 pm »

Thanks, Andy. Good suggestion, to consider the 70~200 and 1.4X. I agree, I could get the kit into a medium sized bag, along with battery charger, and take my "fanny pack" (or small day bag) to carry the longer zoom and 1.4X with camera and short zoom on my shoulder.
We selected end of April and early May, as we were advised that school wasn't out yet, and there may be less crowds and summer vacationers, but we WILL pack umbrellas. BTW, I have not mastered the "telephoto landscape"....I always seem to be around 24mm to 35mm. I've got to work on that.
Thanks again
Dave

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
Trip to Ireland
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 02:14:43 pm »

I would certainly bring some telephoto-lens along. You could check my Ireland landscape pics, if you want to:
Ireland photos.

Have a nice trip - the country has a marvellous atmosphere.
I don't have a signature.

gurtch

Trip to Ireland
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 03:50:03 pm »

larryg, Wim and Gerardk:
I went to your web sites, and looked at youir Ireland photos. Very nice, and gives me an idea of what the country side looks like. I will now definately take my 70-200 zoom plus 1.4X.
thanks for taking the time and effort to help out.
Best regards
Dave G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up