Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: Epson R1900 chronic paper feed problem  (Read 6176 times)

jnmoore

Help: Epson R1900 chronic paper feed problem
« on: February 12, 2010, 02:15:02 pm »

One week after my one year warranty coverage my R19000 has serious paper feed problems. Pulls the paper through faster on the right (big roller) side thus angling and mangling it. Sometimes the paper will make it through but mangled. Most of the time just jams and has to be pulled out.

Phone Epson technician and we walked through various test all of which failed. In the end he is sending me "cleaning papers" that he claims work 90% of the time. Colour me skeptical but I'll wait and give it a try.

Before this the printer was excellent (except of course for ink cost). Print 80% on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and 20% on Moab Entrada.

Paying shipping back and forth plus repair costs may not be worth it so may have to get a new printer unless I'm lucky and one of you has something new to try that might work?

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

redriverpaper

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 09:50:39 am »

Quote from: jnmoore
One week after my one year warranty coverage my R19000 has serious paper feed problems. Pulls the paper through faster on the right (big roller) side thus angling and mangling it. Sometimes the paper will make it through but mangled. Most of the time just jams and has to be pulled out.

Phone Epson technician and we walked through various test all of which failed. In the end he is sending me "cleaning papers" that he claims work 90% of the time. Colour me skeptical but I'll wait and give it a try.

Before this the printer was excellent (except of course for ink cost). Print 80% on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and 20% on Moab Entrada.

Paying shipping back and forth plus repair costs may not be worth it so may have to get a new printer unless I'm lucky and one of you has something new to try that might work?

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

John,

First I would get a flash light and inspect the feed path from every angle for stuck pieces of paper.  That might cause the paper being pull in crooked.

Second clean the feed roller a number of times with an alcohol pad (like doctors use before giving you a shot).  Both of the papers you mention (and many others) leave behind coating that eventually fouls the feed roller's ability to grab paper properly.

Hope that helps.

Drew

jnmoore

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:21:24 pm »

Quote from: redriverpaper
John,

First I would get a flash light and inspect the feed path from every angle for stuck pieces of paper.  That might cause the paper being pull in crooked.

Second clean the feed roller a number of times with an alcohol pad (like doctors use before giving you a shot).  Both of the papers you mention (and many others) leave behind coating that eventually fouls the feed roller's ability to grab paper properly.

Hope that helps.

Drew

Thanks Drew,

Cleaned and inspected as you suggested with no luck. Portrait letter paper now feed fine but if I run the same paper through in landscape (or any larger paper) it pulls the roller side faster than the other and jams. It seems there is something (roller clogged?) on the one side that slows the paper down? Still awaiting cleaning papers from Epson before deciding what to do. Saw a HP8850 on sale for $350 -- was tempted.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up