Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New HP Printer Utility v 1.6 for Z3100  (Read 2325 times)

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
New HP Printer Utility v 1.6 for Z3100
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:46:55 am »

I just got a notice (I think this is the first time that this has ever happened) that there is a new version of the HP Printer Utility available for my Z3100.

The new version is v 1.6.

Anyone using this version yet? I used to like being a guinea pig when I first got this printer 3 years ago, but I have things working well enough that I don't know if I want to mess with this.

It doesn't offer much except possibly for the third improvement below:

* It is now possible to search a printer looking for its hostname.

* The process of finding printers is optimized to search only for HP Designjet printers, highly decreasing the time needed to discover them.

* It is easier now to navigate the appliation and create new paper presets for your own paper types.

* The status of the printer will appear faster.
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:27:46 am »

Quote from: Jim Cole
I just got a notice (I think this is the first time that this has ever happened) that there is a new version of the HP Printer Utility available for my Z3100.

The new version is v 1.6.
That's odd:  I just checked my Printer Utility (Windows) and found that I'm running v1.7.1.1.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:49:10 am »

Interesting. I'm currently on 1.4.1.16. I am on a PC so I don't know if that makes a difference.
Jim Cole

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:10:02 pm »

Thanks for the info folks. I went ahead and upgraded to the v 1.6 which installed cleanly and then went to the HP site and grabbed the 1.9 version which also installed cleanly.

Interesting that I got the notice on the v 1.6 and not the 1.9 unless I needed to do the upgrades in steps before gettingthe next notice which would be unusual. Either way, HP's notification system needs a bit of work, although that's nothing new.

Thanks again
Jim Cole

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 03:57:26 pm »

HP has some interesting naming conventions.  The current version of the Utility for my Z3100ps is 4.4.2, from last December.  They don't seem to update things on the PS side as often as the raster driver, so I have no idea how we managed to get as high as version 4.  It is a slightly improved interface, and may be a touch peppier.  Thankfully, the Printer Utility has always been stable for me and never introduced problems with their "improvements", unlike a few firmware upgrades.  Oddly, the correct name on the application is actually HP Utility (at least on a Mac), and HP Printer Utility is what used to be called the HP Printer Selector (if memory serves me correctly).  The HP Printer Utility opens the HP Utility for the chosen printer.  Really a useless step, since the HP Utility allows you to choose which printer you want to work with.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

artobest

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:55:47 am »

My HP Utility (ver. 1.9) will find my PS driver but not the raster driver. Not sure how to proceed, but I just never use the PCL driver now.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 06:43:37 am »

Quote from: artobest
My HP Utility (ver. 1.9) will find my PS driver but not the raster driver. Not sure how to proceed, but I just never use the PCL driver now.

I have an older version 1.6 on one system I never print from. The Z3200PS is represented as the Z3200PS and I see no need that it is represented otherwise. The job file shows all the jobs printed from another system for both the PCL3 and the PS3 driver on that system

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:39:56 am »

Hi,
I’m on a Mac and here are my suggestions (would probably be similar for a PC):

Restart the printer. Power down. Unplug it for a minute or so. Replug and restart it.

You can try to see if it works at this step. If not you have to do the following:

Throw away the HP printers in your Apple Print and Fax System Preferences Pane (not sure what the Windows corollary is), and after restarting the printer create new ques for PS and PCL3 drivers.

Restart the printer and your computer.

I had a similar issue and got things back in this manner.

So long for now, TOM

Quote from: artobest

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 12:58:36 pm »

If you are going to trash your existing HP software and reinstall, I suggest that you use their uninstaller rather than trying to do it manually.  There are extraneous bits here and there that are difficult to locate and you will have a fresher start if you uninstall first (speaking from experience, having run into issues from this before).
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 01:33:55 pm »

I have the base Z3100 running HP Printer Utility 1.9.0.1

When I go to the HP site and look at the drivers, firmware and software it shows this as the latest and its dated 23 Oct 2009
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up