Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorMunki and Snow Leopard and Epson NCM  (Read 3135 times)

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
ColorMunki and Snow Leopard and Epson NCM
« on: February 12, 2010, 05:08:26 am »

Does any one know if the same problems are affecting ColorMunki profiling and the inability to pass off untagged rgb on SL and Epson drivers?

I could test it, but if anyone has the answer it would save me time, and material.

I have 9900 running SL.

Since in theory you have to print from the CM application one doesn't have any controls on color management, but that is assuming that it can send untagged charts through generic rgb. Yet is that going to put out a max density and have no inherent limits?

Thanks.

BTW All the testing I did with the Z3200 I have doesn't show any problems with the CM or profile charts through Photoshop.

na goodman

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:50:01 pm »

neil snape

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 01:44:13 am »

I did thanks. There are still too many holes in SL and things are falling through the cracks.

I made a profile on that system yesterday. No idea as I didn't have time to test. Exactly why I was asking here if any one knew for sure.

The first chart looked light. I suppose there is no other way than to print with 10.5 , which I can do if I have more time. I did hook up a router and the schools other older Mac to the same printer.

I can also runs some tests here on print as PDF and check rgb numbers but without a reference I don't think we'll get far.

Hate to say it but on this one a definitive answer from X-Rite would be the right thing.

No one else printing from SL and the ColorMunki?

na goodman

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:55:54 am »

I really feel XRite passes it off as an OS thing to Apple or Adobe. I run a 3800 and a 9800 using SL. I use CS4 but have kept CS3 on my machines just to print targets out of. This has been a problem for so long that I think it just gets shoved to the back burner with no real resolution to the problem. As I recall there may be more information specifically to your combination over at DPReview. I think it was in a discussion between CM and Spyder3Print. Sorry, I couldn't find the exact discussion.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 08:27:54 pm »

I spent some time testing a ColorMunki.  There are issues with SL, but it appears you can produce an accurate target by choosing Epson Color Controls in the Colormatch dialog box, but turning Color management off in the Printer Settings Dialog.  If you leave the default to ColorSync in the ColorMatch dialog, the target will definitely have a problem and the resulting profiles very limited gamut.

In most programs, such as Photoshop, this isn't possible because the ColorSync/Epson color Controls buttons are grayed out.

Bill Atkinson's Lab Test page looked terrific and there were no significant differences between one printed with the canned Epson profile for my 7900. I did a little write up including a Colorthink graph comparing the ColorMunki Profile to the canned Epson one if you  are interested

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 09:08:48 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I spent some time testing a ColorMunki.  There are issues with SL, but it appears you can produce an accurate target by choosing Epson Color Controls in the Colormatch dialog box, but turning Color management off in the Printer Settings Dialog.  If you leave the default to ColorSync in the ColorMatch dialog, the target will definitely have a problem and the resulting profiles very limited gamut.

In most programs, such as Photoshop, this isn't possible because the ColorSync/Epson color Controls buttons are grayed out.

Bill Atkinson's Lab Test page looked terrific and there were no significant differences between one printed with the canned Epson profile for my 7900. I did a little write up including a Colorthink graph comparing the ColorMunki Profile to the canned Epson one if you  are interested

So that pretty much confirms that ColorMunki uses the old printing path. So there should not be an issue with creating profiles if the correct setting in the driver are chosen, and as long as the driver is written correctly for SL then there should be no double profiling going on when printing from PSCS4.

Doyle

neil snape

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 02:14:13 am »

Thanks so much Wayne. That's the answer I needed.

So I'll have to go and reprofile, as I didn't do that.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 11:42:34 am »

Wayne,

Nice review of the ColorMunki.  Your results echo mine.  The print profiles are very close to those made with targets containing many more patches.  It also works seamlessly with NEC Spectraview software for monitor profiling.  I run a windows system so I don't encounter any of the Apple Colorsynch problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up