Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Temple in a forest  (Read 4155 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Temple in a forest
« on: February 11, 2010, 01:32:01 pm »

12th C temple of Mahadeva (Shiva) in a remote forest at Tambdi Surla in Goa (the oldest surviving temple in Goa - hundreds were destroyed by the Portuguese).  It was the middle of the monsoon season, and I got there soon after a heavy downpour.  This framing suggested itself naturally.

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Temple in a forest
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 01:47:31 pm »

Love these old temples.  One day I hope to devote some serious time to photographing ancient worship sites.  Hard to believe the absolute stupidity of someone destroying something like this.  Shame on them.  Very nice can't wait to see more.  Tim

Quote from: Parrikar
12th C temple of Mahadeva (Shiva) in a remote forest at Tambdi Surla in Goa (the oldest surviving temple in Goa - hundreds were destroyed by the Portuguese).  It was the middle of the monsoon season, and I got there soon after a heavy downpour.  This framing suggested itself naturally.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Temple in a forest
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 04:13:47 pm »

Quote from: tim wolcott
Love these old temples.  One day I hope to devote some serious time to photographing ancient worship sites.  Hard to believe the absolute stupidity of someone destroying something like this.  Shame on them.  Very nice can't wait to see more.  Tim

The early Portuguese conquest of Goa was marked by brutality, cruelty and intolerance.  There was such a thing as the Goa Inquisition.  

I have photographed a great deal of churches and the surviving temples in Goa over the past 3 years, before the liberated souls bring to conclusion the unfinished work of the colonialists - the new dangers are environmental destruction & concretization.  But not to worry, we can always recreate the pristine past with Terragen :-).
Pages: [1]   Go Up