Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson x880 series vs. Canon x100 Series  (Read 9622 times)

PeterSibbald

• http://petersibbald.com
Epson x880 series vs. Canon x100 Series
« on: February 11, 2010, 08:39:35 am »

I'm considering the Epson 3880 and 4880 as well as the Canon 5100 or 6100. With the latest rebates, the 6100 is about the same as the 5100 if you were add the stand all about the same price as the 4880 give or take the base model vs the Colorburst RIP (lite) .

Most of my work for fine art printing is archetypal 35mm documentary, which in my old B&W darkroom days = gritty, grainy documentary, pushed 35mm Tri-X on Leitz condenser enlarger 16 x 20 – 20 x 24 archival prints. Digital allows me to evolve in some way to colour as well; I'm still experimenting.

This would which would lean toward the 3880...

But then I have monkey-wrench: a large format pano project to print. Many of my un-interpolated multi gigbyte files can easily yield up to 4' x 12' so the added width of the 6100, although only 24 " is a bonus.

From what I can tell in the forums, for any of the machines with the latest built-in printer drivers I probably wouldn’t need a RIP… that is, not for anything but the panoramics.

In that case, for the 3880, which brand and model RIP does one need to get at least that 37.5 inches, and is there a RIP that will get one a longer piece of the roll, say 48 inches?

The right RIP or other workaround at the right price to get 16" x 48” panoramics might make the rest of my cogitations below redundant...

Except that anything but an inexpensive RIP begs the question: if one needs to spend $500-$1000 on a RIP, and the time on the additional learning curve, perhaps one is better to go for one of the industrial-built machines, such as the 4880 or x100s which, with roll feed, accommodate longer prints with standard drivers matching their rolled paper, that is if they don't need RIPS for the panos .

Does anyone know if the 4880 or the Canon x100s need a RIP to do the longer panos, and if so which one(s) can do the job most economically?

On the other hand, in respect of the 3880, I could simply forgo the capability of printing the longer panoramics altogether and farm that part of my needs out to a pro lab.

But then again, it only takes the purchase of a couple of custom Lambda fibres or a few custom Inkjet fibres to use up another $1000 which brings me up into the same Epson 4880/Canon x100 territory, after which point I own the means of production.

What to do, what to do...?

It is in the episodic nature of documentary work that printing happens intensively but intermittently.

What are the cost ramifications for inks drying up and clogging for a machine used this way? Is it a better bet to continue farming out the work to labs after all?

If this was a quality enlarger in analogue times that appreciated or held its value this would be a no brainer but a digital printer that effectively depreciates to near zero in 3 years or less?

The 3880 is relatively current. The bigger machines are clearly near the end of their cycle, probably with a 4990 announcement due soon and Canon X300s apparently announced in Japan recently, and presumably soon to be likewise here.

Does/should one want to invest $1000s in a machine that will be used intermittently for big projects then sit idle for great periods in between and be obsolete at least in terms of resale imminently?

One can never win at the upgrade battle unless “last year’s” discounted model will suit one fine, which is I guess one of the things I’m trying to establish. Perhaps a 3-year-old machine would be just fine, excellent even.

I need to confirm that the circa & post 2007 have more or less conquered the following issues: colour accuracy, profile accuracy, neutral grays, metamarism, bronzing, colour fastness, low contrast, shallow blacks, smear resistance, abrasion resistance, archival stability at least to roughly 100 years.

By the way, for me the blacks switching issue that otherwise militates against the 4880 for some people is probably not that big an issue in that I do not see myself printing much matte.

Bigger for me is the issue of reliability, service and support. For indeed, what hasn’t changed much is that the big photo companies such as Epson and Canon remain dominant and that there is a semi-monopolistic tyranny we end users must subjugate ourselves to if we wish to play in the this new electronic reality. Like many of us, I’ve had more than enough battles with all these companies. Earlier user reports here and elsewhere suggest that the latter company in particular has remained generally hostile/difficult/unreasonable toward end users when it comes to service, support and upgrading as it is in others of its product families. Has that changed at all?

Otherwise, point to Epson. Two points perhaps with better warranties.

Clogging… and commensurate material wastage: seems to be one, maybe two points to Canon.

3880 vs 6100; David vs Goliath, the former a hefty but easily carried by one person piece of desk real estate, the latter (as I understand it) 175 lbs delivered in two crates, a VERY large piece of furniture. 4880 somewhere in between. That probably comes down to which my family will hate the least.

Per Wilhelm June 2009 archival tests: Epson Good, Canon Better, HP Best

In terms of print quality, I did a quick and not very scientific comparison of the print results of the 4880 vs the 6100 yesterday on an Epson pearl finish paper (would have preferred a smoother stock but that was what they had at the moment...) . I was not the operator and the operator was more familiar with the Epson, and yet it was my impression that the 6100 was somehow more professional in its controls, displays, auto-feeding, speed, quietness.

In terms of print quality, and without putting an instrument on the samples it is my impression that:
• they're not very different
• the blacks of the epson were possibly slightly deeper
• there was possibly slightly less bronzing with the Epson... that is if I'm using the term correctly here (I mean a visible variation in the reflectance of the surface based on how thickly the ink is laid down)

Given that this was a quick test with probably not the correct profiling I'm not sure how valid, if at all, these impressions are, but given my lack of access to the facilities it is the best I can do for now. It would certainly be best to test each machine using best practices to strive for the best result each could yield and then compare those.

Is there anyone on this list who has tried such comparisons--but hopefully done a more thorough and accurate job--and can speak to this at all?

Final Question: What am I missing that will help me make this decision?

Apologies for the length.

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:38:56 pm »

I can't address the specific questions you posed-my current printer is the Canon 8100 and before that I had an Epson 9800, preceded by a 9600. I looked long and hard at the HP Z3100 but that version had some color issues (fixed in the Z3200) ,and paper handling problems (not fixed.)

The quick story is I believe all three printers produce excellent prints and whatever advantages one of them might have, it's over a pretty narrow range of colors and balanced against equally slight deficiencies somewhere else. I do find my Canon, with good profiles, slight more accurate to what I see on my calibrated NEC 30" monitor. I used the ImagePrint RIP on the Epsons. Black detail is much better.

The Canon is far more reliable than either Epson printers were. In two years of use, I've had three head clogs, versus almost daily clogs on the Epsons. This in a commercial printing environment. I have replaced the heads once, under warranty.The Canon is 3x faster than the Epsons (the 9900 appears to have caught up in speed.) Paper handling is equally good. If you don't use a RIP, the Canon 16 bit Photoshop plug-in is much easier than printing to an Epson through the driver interface. No contest there. And of course, I have Matte and Photo black on the Canon. I've made prints up to about 150" on the Canon; I'm not sure how much longer it can go.

You see the Epson line of printers much discussed here and very little about Canon printers. Most of the discussions deal with solving problems on the Epsons. Canon x100 printers aren't trouble-free, but there is an order of magnitude of difference beteen them and Epsons, it would seem. I have also had excellent support from Canon-they have definitely fixed their tech support issues from several years ago. To be fair, I also had decent support from Epson when I needed it.

Hope this helps.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:50:41 pm »

I won't go into some of the specific questions about this or that model, but one thing I have found is that I always want a larger printer. My first 'real' printer was an Epson 2000P (remember that piece of junk?), and I was dying for an Epson Pro 3000 update so I could move up to a 'huge' 17 inch printer. Then a few 17 inch printers later I was wanting a 24" printer for 20x30 prints and panoramas. And I jumped over the 24" and went straight for a 44". Now I have three 44" printers (Epson 9900, Canon 8300 and the HP Z3200) and I wish I had a 60" printer for doing true 40x60" canvas wraps.

My suggestion is to take a hard look at how many cut sheets you really need to prints, and if it isn't that much I would go for a 24" printer. The 6100 is a steal at the moment, and is a great printer.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

shybuck

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 12:54:10 pm »

I have to agree about the lack of problems for the 6100. I've had mine for over a year, have gone over a month without printing and have never had a clogged head. The driver is easy to navigate and the 16bit plug-in makes printing easy. Color accuracy is superb.
Here is a link to ink permanence www.wilhelm-research.com/canon/ipf6100.html.........good luck

hsmeets

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:00:03 pm »

Not owned an epson/hp before, went for the canon 5100, has been flawless for 2 years now. Still very happy with it, but for one thing....i should have bought the 24" model.....when I was looking for a printer I qualified print output of all three as on par with each other, there are differences, but my take on this is that it is not better or worse, just different. But others may have stronger opinions about that. Choosing for the 5100 was simple: HP no 17" model, Epson 4800: Black ink switching and fear of clogging misery (was clogged at demo), Canon risk of expensive head replacement but by far the cheapest: 5100 + possible 2 new heads was just a bit more expensive then a 4800.

RIP:
double check if you really need that (the canon PS print plugin is very nice). Better put that money in a proper profiling kit.

Pano's:
the longest I printed using the PS plugin was about 17x50 inches, and that was nowhere near the limit. The PS print plugin for 5100 allows custom paper sizes to a max 17x708 inches. Ofcourse not tested :-)

Clogs, Ink & heads :
They say epsons use a lot of ink to clean, however, the canon, per canon recommendation, stays on stand-by and wakes up every day to do a clean, my current "guestimate" is that it needs 0.5ml to 0.7ml of ink to
do so. Opposite to epson, canon heads (2 of them) are 'consumables'. Canon heads are expensive if you need to replace, some of the unclogging is done by remapping nozzles. As far as I can judge after two years the heads are still healthy. Heads are so expensive that in case of a 5100 here in the Netherlands, given the value of ink that comes with a new printer, it's better to buy a complete new printer then just the heads....I hope mine last another 2 years whereafter I'll probably trade up to a 24" model anyway and if I experience no major issues that next printer will be a 6300 (just announced by canon).

Costs and farming out:
farming out is probably cheaper as you never need to invest upfront in buying a printer (with amortization and all of that) also you can spend your valuable time on other things (maybe billable time) instead of fuzzing around with the printer.
OTOH  
Owning a printer gives more control on quality and what you want to get, like your choice of paper on not the choice the lab offers, etc etc ( and too some extend faster turnaround times).

I'm a hobby user, farming out would to date have been much cheaper for me, but wouldn't have given me the control and flexibility I like so much. The extra money involved making that possible was IMHO worth it to the last cent/penny.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 03:15:24 pm by hsmeets »
Cheers,

Huib

Gemmtech

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 04:02:06 pm »

"If you don't use a RIP, the Canon 16 bit Photoshop plug-in is much easier than printing to an Epson through the driver interface."

Can you be more specific?  I have never used the Canon professional models but have use a lot of their "consumer" grade models and I have always preferred Epson's interface, but that just might be because I've been using it for 10+ years.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 05:23:48 pm »

Quote from: shybuck
I have to agree about the lack of problems for the 6100.... and have never had a clogged head.
While I have no issues with the Canon ipf6100 (i owned and used one myself for nearly 2 years) , I do feel statements like this are misleading.  I can almost guarantee you have clogged nozzles in the heads.  In fact there are almost certainly nozzles clogged so badly they have been mapped out, and replacement nozzles  have been mapped in their place.  At some point in the future you may possibly run out of spare nozzles, and have to replace one or two printheads ... at a cost which will make ink seem not so bad.  This is just how the technology of the printers work, and users are just unaware of the clogging with Canon and HP printers.  They didn't plan it this way, they aren't hiding anything, but in fact the heads are listed as a consumable and is user replaceable.

Pigment printers = clogging.  You can't get away with from it.  Canon printers consume far more ink to keep nozzles clear than most users are aware of because it is so gradual, and most head cleaning cycles happen when no one is aware of them.  Not bad, a very nice system, but it's not head and shoulders superior to Epsons.  It's just different and some users of each system will have great success, some mixed, and some not so good.

Which technology produces the most accurate ink dot size and placement?  I think the Epson technology is superior, but certainly print quality from all of these printers can be so outstanding that for most it really isn't an issue.  It takes a very good operator to get the best out of any of them.

Gemmtech

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 05:49:08 pm »

Wayne,

How's your 11880 been?  Still trouble free?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 05:57:28 pm »

Quote from: PeterSibbald
Bigger for me is the issue of reliability, service and support. For indeed, what hasn’t changed much is that the big photo companies such as Epson and Canon remain dominant and that there is a semi-monopolistic tyranny we end users must subjugate ourselves to if we wish to play in the this new electronic reality. Like many of us, I’ve had more than enough battles with all these companies. Earlier user reports here and elsewhere suggest that the latter company in particular has remained generally hostile/difficult/unreasonable toward end users when it comes to service, support and upgrading as it is in others of its product families. Has that changed at all?

Otherwise, point to Epson. Two points perhaps with better warranties.

Clogging… and commensurate material wastage: seems to be one, maybe two points to Canon.

3880 vs 6100; David vs Goliath, the former a hefty but easily carried by one person piece of desk real estate, the latter (as I understand it) 175 lbs delivered in two crates, a VERY large piece of furniture. 4880 somewhere in between. That probably comes down to which my family will hate the least.

Per Wilhelm June 2009 archival tests: Epson Good, Canon Better, HP Best

In terms of print quality, I did a quick and not very scientific comparison of the print results of the 4880 vs the 6100 yesterday on an Epson pearl finish paper (would have preferred a smoother stock but that was what they had at the moment...) . I was not the operator and the operator was more familiar with the Epson, and yet it was my impression that the 6100 was somehow more professional in its controls, displays, auto-feeding, speed, quietness.

In terms of print quality, and without putting an instrument on the samples it is my impression that:
• they're not very different
• the blacks of the epson were possibly slightly deeper
• there was possibly slightly less bronzing with the Epson... that is if I'm using the term correctly here (I mean a visible variation in the reflectance of the surface based on how thickly the ink is laid down)

Given that this was a quick test with probably not the correct profiling I'm not sure how valid, if at all, these impressions are, but given my lack of access to the facilities it is the best I can do for now. It would certainly be best to test each machine using best practices to strive for the best result each could yield and then compare those.

Is there anyone on this list who has tried such comparisons--but hopefully done a more thorough and accurate job--and can speak to this at all?

Final Question: What am I missing that will help me make this decision?

Apologies for the length.
Yes, a long post.  Difficult for anyone to wade through all of that.  There's a ton of information out there, and guessing you've spent some time with google only to find that nearly everyone responds based on their personal choice.  Most (not all) using Epson's are pretty happy and most (not all) canon users are pretty happy.  Clogging with Epsons is an in your face experience, with Canon and HP it happens but you aren't aware of it.  Thus on the surface the Epson's seem worse, but some in depth research really shows the difference is from the underlying technology, and bottom line once everything is considered the difference in operating costs aren't that significant.

In an effort to address some of your questions I will mention I am biased toward Epson printers. That bias is based on my belief that the underlying technology of how the dots of ink are placed on the paper offers superior control in dot size and placement.  I also believe Epson is ahead of the others in screening technology, the result being when printing very high quality high resolution files at the printers highest quality settings, the Epson will provide better detail and micro contrast - but this means using their newest printers (79/9900).

However, I have had and used a Canon ipf5000 and 6100, as well as pretty much every Epson that has been made since the 2200, and from that experience I will say the ipf6100 is an outstanding printer.

Support:  EpsonUSA has been outstanding for me dealing with issues of my 7900 printer, which is now performing flawlessly (0 clogs in over nearly 2 months).

Regarding your comparison of 3 printers, I believe out put quality from the ipf5100/6100 and the Epson 4880 will very very close, the new screening in the 3880 may be a slight advantage on occasion.  I find the canon shows a little more bronzing on some paper types, and also find Gloss Differential to be an issue more often on the canon.  I think the blacks are pretty close, and profiles I've made show the blacks virtually identical. The ipf6100 is faster than either of hose two printers (although the 7900 is actually a little faster than the Canon).

Archival ratings ... seems they are all sufficiently long enough to be a non issue.  99.99999% of all inkjet prints being made will probably have issues other than fading long before that can occur.  The only way to guarantee an image will look good enough a century or two from now is preserving the underlying data that created it and hoping there is a technology that can use that data.

Based on everything you have stated, personally I think the ipf6100 would be an ideal choice.  The 3880 is a wonderful printer but why fight the challenge of panoramo's.  However, if you can send those out for printing, the small footprint and great reliability of the 3880 (not many clogging issues with the venerable 3800 printer)  might be a good choice.  I personally think the 4880 is far better in paper handling and hate the paper tray of the 5100 so if the 3880 just won't do it, I recommend moving either to a 4880, ipf6100, or even a 7880.

The only other thing I will mention is in regards to Black and white printing.  I don't do much of this and know that users of both systems will tell you both produce very good black and white prints (and from my personal experience with both I agree with this).  However, I have read comments from photographers who I regard as very skilled in black and white printing that talk about the merits of Epsons ABW mode in getting great monotone prints, and you may wish to do some research on this.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:47:09 pm by Wayne Fox »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 06:00:58 pm »

Quote from: Gemmtech
Wayne,

How's your 11880 been?  Still trouble free?
Still running great.  I'm seeing a few more clogs than before (maybe once a month I have to run a clean on a channel or two) but then the ink is so expired I need to throw it out.  Not sure if that contributes to clogs or not.  I wish they made 350ml for the 11880.

my 7900 is running really well ... in a new location with a little more humidity. no clogs in nearly 2 months.

Gemmtech

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 09:37:50 pm »

"although the 7900 is actually a little faster than the Canon"

Wayne, do you have this backwards?  The Canons I have owned over the years have always been much faster than the Epsons, consumer versions of each.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 10:09:24 pm »

Quote from: Gemmtech
"although the 7900 is actually a little faster than the Canon"

Wayne, do you have this backwards?  The Canons I have owned over the years have always been much faster than the Epsons, consumer versions of each.

Nope.  Yes the Canon's are far faster than the previous model Epsons, but the newer Epsons are substantially faster than previous generations and are slightly faster than the Canon's now.

Problem is finding comparable quality levels, then compare those speeds.  As an example, the very highest quality setting possible on both printers, the Canon prints @8.33 ft2/hr, the 11880/7900/9900 at 12.33 ft2/hr.

there is a multitude of quality settings for both printers, and as you move to lower quality settings you get more speed.  The challenge is to say which quality setting is equivalent.  So an assumption that 720dpi on the canon is a "lower quality setting" than perhaps a Canon at 12 pass 600dpi doesn't work.

Bottom line I spent a great deal of time trying to answer this question a few years back, and in my mind when you find equivalent quality settings, the newer Epsons are faster.  The only place the canon has an advantage is when doing 8pass/600 dpi printing, for which there is no equivalent quality setting on the Epson.  

You can read about it here if you are interested ...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:10:11 pm by Wayne Fox »

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 10:26:48 pm »

...but the 8100 and 9100 are a good bit faster than the 6100 due to their faster carriage speeds. Although I haven't done anything scientific, I have run the 8100 side by side with the 9900 and they seemed the same speedwise. But we're talking about old Canon's - we should be talking about the 6300 and 8300 printers now where the prints speeds are about the same but the quality is improved.

The other difference between these printers is the spooling times which can vary from OS to OS to method used. Photoshop under Snow Leopard takes a while to send a print job to the spooler so it can then send it to the printer. The Canon print plug-in bypasses this and allows the printer to immediately start printing as it continues to spool. On big prints this can have a significant effect on overall print times.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up