Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD resolution  (Read 3474 times)

willconnor

LCD resolution
« on: February 11, 2010, 02:00:08 am »

I've been hoping for some time that a MFDB would be developed with an LCD screen that would actually function for checking critical focus.  I have experience with the Phase and Leaf backs, both of which are pretty useless for focus check.  I see that the new screen on the Hass. H4D 60 has a higher resolution  TFT screen of approx 460k pixels.  This is double their previous screens resolution.

This is the same spec as the Canon 1ds III, which I've heard is a good screen.  Might this be the same screen?

Should I get my hopes up that this new Hass screen will be usable for focus check?

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
LCD resolution
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 06:31:42 pm »

Quote from: willconnor
Should I get my hopes up that this new Hass screen will be usable for focus check?

Unless the camera firmware allows zooming in to 100% of any selected portion of the image, no. 460,000 LCD pixels is not enough resolution to judge focus for a low-end digicam, let alone a camera with >20,000,000 pixels. If you need to check focus critically, shoot tethered.

Nick-T

LCD resolution
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:48:41 pm »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
Unless the camera firmware allows zooming in to 100% of any selected portion of the image, no. 460,000 LCD pixels is not enough resolution to judge focus for a low-end digicam, let alone a camera with >20,000,000 pixels. If you need to check focus critically, shoot tethered.
I think you'll find that all the current backs allow for zooming to 100% so the answer is yes you will be able to check focus.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

TechTalk

LCD resolution
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 07:13:09 pm »

I've been hoping for some time that a MFDB would be developed with an LCD screen that would actually function for checking critical focus.  I have experience with the Phase and Leaf backs, both of which are pretty useless for focus check.  I see that the new screen on the Hass. H4D 60 has a higher resolution  TFT screen of approx 460k pixels.  This is double their previous screens resolution.

This is the same spec as the Canon 1ds III, which I've heard is a good screen.  Might this be the same screen?

A Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III has a 3" TFT with 230,000 pixels. Hasselblad has had the same specs on the LCD panel of the H3D-II series since 2007.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

willconnor

LCD resolution
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:18:09 pm »

Unfortunately, I can't shoot tethered until a more portable solution comes along.

This new screen for the H4D 60 is twice the resolution of the one on the Canon 1ds III, which I heard is pretty good, though I've never seen it.

I would guess, though, if this new screen were all that great, Hasselblad would be touting it more.

Anyone from Hasselblad on this forum that can report a hands-on look at this screen?

And is it planned to go on all the H4D models in the future?

willconnor

LCD resolution
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 08:21:25 pm »

Unfortunately, I can't shoot tethered until a more portable solution comes along.

This new screen for the H4D 60 is twice the resolution of the one on the Canon 1ds III, which I heard is pretty good, though I've never seen.

I would guess, though, if this new screen were all that great, Hasselblad would be touting it more.

Anyone from Hasselblad on this forum that can report a hands-on look at this screen?

Nick-T

LCD resolution
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:28:48 pm »

I have seen that screen and held my iphone next to it for comparison. The two screens were displaying different images but I would say they looked equally good.
Nick-T

bcooter

LCD resolution
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:45:08 pm »

Quote from: Nick-T
I have seen that screen and held my iphone next to it for comparison. The two screens were displaying different images but I would say they looked equally good.
Nick-T

What size is the embedded preview in the h4?

I know from my Aptus and Phase experience, the preview was quite small and didn't have any processing noise reduction, which meant even if you viewed the preview outside of the camera in a software like I-view it looked somewhat small and rough just like the lcds on the cameras.

So in other words are the previews on the H4 larger and have noise reduction?

BC

Nick-T

LCD resolution
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 09:00:36 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
What size is the embedded preview in the h4?

I know from my Aptus and Phase experience, the preview was quite small and didn't have any processing noise reduction, which meant even if you viewed the preview outside of the camera in a software like I-view it looked somewhat small and rough just like the lcds on the cameras.

So in other words are the previews on the H4 larger and have noise reduction?

BC
Coot the embedded previews vary in size by sensor but the ones from my 31 MP are 1024 px X 812 and match the raw for look.
Nick-T

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
LCD resolution
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 11:54:23 pm »

Quote from: Nick-T
I think you'll find that all the current backs allow for zooming to 100% so the answer is yes you will be able to check focus.

Nick-T

Is that zooming on a full resolution version of the image, or is it upsampling from a lower res preview?

Zooming to 100% shouldn't be that dependent on the display ... after all that means you have one captured pixel to 1 display pixel.  If your display has less pixels it just means you see less area of the overall image when you are at 100%.  so if you can't focus at 100% the problem may not be the LCD display but just the rendered image really isn't adequate for judging focus.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
LCD resolution
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 12:44:30 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Is that zooming on a full resolution version of the image, or is it upsampling from a lower res preview?

Zooming to 100% shouldn't be that dependent on the display ... after all that means you have one captured pixel to 1 display pixel.  If your display has less pixels it just means you see less area of the overall image when you are at 100%.  so if you can't focus at 100% the problem may not be the LCD display but just the rendered image really isn't adequate for judging focus.

FWIW the Aptus, when you zoom in to 100%, renders a portion of the RAW file with/ without sharpening (whichever you choose) and it does it every time you zoom or scroll. IMO this is the only way to check focus and it works a lot better than on my Nikon (which upsamples a jpeg).
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

willconnor

LCD resolution
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 02:38:15 am »

Quote from: yaya
FWIW the Aptus, when you zoom in to 100%, renders a portion of the RAW file with/ without sharpening (whichever you choose) and it does it every time you zoom or scroll. IMO this is the only way to check focus and it works a lot better than on my Nikon (which upsamples a jpeg).

Yaya,  

I use an Aptus, partly because it had the best screen at the time.    I agree it is possible to evaluate focus but it can be pretty tricky to read depending on the subject matter.

I'd like a higher res screen and one that's faster to negotiate.  If not on the back itself, then a small screen tethered.

Something like the Epson P-6000, which now can be tethered, but still will not accept RAW from medium format cameras and
does not use firewire.

Lawrie_Hope

• Peartreephoto
LCD resolution
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 04:40:47 am »

Yaya,  

I use an Aptus, partly because it had the best screen at the time.    I agree it is possible to evaluate focus but it can be pretty tricky to read depending on the subject matter.

I'd like a higher res screen and one that's faster to negotiate.  If not on the back itself, then a small screen tethered.

Something like the Epson P-6000, which now can be tethered, but still will not accept RAW from medium format cameras and
does not use firewire.

Leaf Capture Remote, on an I-Pad, now that could be interesting?
Lawrie Hope
London, UK
Peartree

http://www.peartreephotoshop.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up