Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto D1 Air Monolights  (Read 3657 times)

JoeKitchen

Profoto D1 Air Monolights
« on: February 10, 2010, 09:31:36 am »

I have used a couple of different monolight brands (never Profoto) and have found that, although less expensive to get the same w/s as power packs and lighter (something very nice for location shooting), that they are not as reliable as power packs in a couple of areas.  Now I know that Profoto has higher standards than the rest so the D1 Airs look like a nice option, but I have a few questions.  

First, monolights tend to be less consistent with color balance then power packs.  Is this the case with the D1 Airs or are they consistent enough where you would not notice it?  Or better yet, are they close to power pack standards?  I am concerned with both the consistency between multiple heads and adjustments in power.  

Also, changing the power of monolights can be annoying if they are placed high, but Profoto has created an USB device for the D1 Airs allowing you to change the power via your computer.  If you are using multiple units, will this device allow you to change the power individually for each unit?  

I have heard that monolights wear out faster then power packs.  Is this true?  Being that I am an architectural shooter this may not matter as much.  

Last, do these have zoomable heads like the heads for their power pack systems?
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

CBarrett

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 10:20:42 am »

Quote from: JoeKitchen
I have used a couple of different monolight brands (never Profoto) and have found that, although less expensive to get the same w/s as power packs and lighter (something very nice for location shooting), that they are not as reliable as power packs in a couple of areas.  Now I know that Profoto has higher standards than the rest so the D1 Airs look like a nice option, but I have a few questions.  

First, monolights tend to be less consistent with color balance then power packs.  Is this the case with the D1 Airs or are they consistent enough where you would not notice it?  Or better yet, are they close to power pack standards?  I am concerned with both the consistency between multiple heads and adjustments in power.  

Also, changing the power of monolights can be annoying if they are placed high, but Profoto has created an USB device for the D1 Airs allowing you to change the power via your computer.  If you are using multiple units, will this device allow you to change the power individually for each unit?  

I have heard that monolights wear out faster then power packs.  Is this true?  Being that I am an architectural shooter this may not matter as much.  

Last, do these have zoomable heads like the heads for their power pack systems?

Joe,

I've had 5 of the 500's since this summer and can offer a little feedback.  First, I've mostly used Elinchrom and Balcar monoblocs for the last decade or so and reliability was a huge issue with both.  I bought Profoto, counting on reliability and have to send three units in for repair already.  What I've heard from a couple dealers, because Mac won't tell you anything, is that the initial units had an issue with the flash tube mount, where the tubes could wiggle loose, cause an arc and fry your board.  All my repairs were under warranty, returned in a week and I hope to see no more of these issues.

As for operation, I couldn't be happier with these strobes.  I haven't seen an issues with color variance, but honestly... for interiors under mixed light, would you?  I use the Air Remote which allows you to adjust the power levels from camera and this is AWESOME.  You can change them individually by assigning each to a separate sub-channel... haven't played with that yet.  Also haven't tried the USB remote or software.  Profoto seems to advertise these as needing no reflectors, but I threw a standard grid reflector on one and got a stop more light!  Then I ordered 4 more reflectors.  These throw such beautiful, soft light that I find myself using them on all my hotlight shots too, using just the modeling light.  I also carry some light green gel that get's the strobe really close to florescent.  Lastly, these things recycle wicked fast.  My old ones were usually three seconds and these take about 1 second at full power.  The only thing I don't like about their design is that they won't tilt straight up because of the handle and power cord, this is a drag for ceiling bounces.

Even with the repairs I've had to have done, I'd still buy these again.  Maybe I'm just used to strobe always breaking down?

-CB
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:24:13 am by CBarrett »

gwhitf

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:45:31 am »

Years ago, when I did a ton of travel editorial, I bought those Elinchrom monoblocks, trying to save on space and weight on the airlines. They were recommended by a strobe dealer in LA that I used at that time, (past tense). They broke down all the time. Not sure the deal with them, but very delicate design; were not designed for rough use or travel.

I have heard the same complaints about the Profoto monoblocks. It's as though every brand needs a "mistake", and the monoblocks were Profoto's mistake.

I have the 600B and the 7B, and honestly, in these crazy travel times, even they are too bulky and cumbersome. I'd love a steroid version of the Canon 550EX, or the Q Flash Quantum -- something not so plasticky feeling, with a real live stand adapter built in, that wouldn't snap off.

Not sure what happened with those monoblocks, but I rarely hear a good thing about them. It's a shame; perfect design for airlines.

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:54:15 am »

I can not really speak about the air mono blocs in particular, but I have extensive experience with the compacts (300 & 600). They are great, very reliable. Not a single issue in 3 years of hard shooting.I tried lesser expensive brands and found that they could not handle the wear & tear.  I mix them with my acute B 600s and the color temp is spot on (according to my color meter) Also mix them up with other profoto rental stuff and it is all good. would love to have the airs since adjusting the power when the are up high is a pain. I would recommend the Acute B series since it is great to have a battery power pack that color & contrast balances with the ac units.
Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up