Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sports Illustrated  (Read 2401 times)

Rob C

Sports Illustrated
« on: February 09, 2010, 03:38:20 pm »

I see from the satellite that the shooting of the new edition is going to be shown on one of the CNN channels on Saturday (Europe); won't get to see it on paper and probably forget on Saturday, but looking forward to when it makes the website!

Rob C

EDIT: for anyone who cares, it's advertised for Saturday at 23.00hrs (European Time) on CNBC.

Also, there's a thing by Rankin on Penn on BBC's Horizon next time around.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:54:46 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

Sports Illustrated
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:29:00 am »

Just in case anyone else was suckered into watching, I'd like to apologize here and now for what turned out to be the most pathetic attempt at documentary that I have ever watched; transifixed in its awfulness I couldn't even switch off, gripped in the belief that it just had to improve. It did not. No more CNBC for me - ever!

Sorry again,

Rob C

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Sports Illustrated
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 04:53:10 am »

Perhaps you were the only guy who was watching with an interest in photo technique.  I'm guessing there was a slightly different demographic in mind for the network, and even that was more tease than substance.  Did you at least get to see the model caressing the swastikas on the side of the old airplane?  That seems to be this year's tidbit to stir up additional interest.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Rob C

Sports Illustrated
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 05:45:43 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
Perhaps you were the only guy who was watching with an interest in photo technique.  I'm guessing there was a slightly different demographic in mind for the network, and even that was more tease than substance.  Did you at least get to see the model caressing the swastikas on the side of the old airplane?  That seems to be this year's tidbit to stir up additional interest.

Don't recall any aircraft, just a horse, some hotel pillars, some rivers and the Atacam Desert. What they did show was some pics from old shoots - they were a mixture, but some were outstandingly good. A lady called Ms Campbell was an ex-editor/director of the shoots prior to them becoming separate issues outwith the magazine and some from her period were beautiful; but I think they were people like Glaviano and Ioos the Elder etc... so much that's new is just - well - new.

However, one shouldn't judge a product by the tv show hung around its neck, and as I'm unlikely ever to even see the magazine, I shall probably never know how it printed.

Rob C

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Sports Illustrated
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 02:22:30 pm »

CNBC is running it again on 2200 today CET - probably again later in the week as I'm sure there are a lot of, umm, "photographers" and "sports enthusiasts" and "swimsuit procurers" interested in the subject matter.

As a "photographer" I'll have to take a looksee...

In fairness, the SI Swimsuit Edition photography hasn't seen the (as steep a) downward spiral into the alien-looking over-airbrushed models seen in popular glamour photography.

edit: not sure what you were looking for in the program, Rob, but I found it quite good. It was on CNBC which of course had a business-slant to it, which I found insightful, if cursory. Probably nothing new to anyone in the business, though. I was somewhat surprised there was even a mention of a photographer being present at the shoots.

Oh, and there were some beautiful women, too.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:02:55 pm by feppe »

Rob C

Sports Illustrated
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 03:59:38 pm »

Quote from: feppe
CNBC is running it again on 2200 today CET - probably again later in the week as I'm sure there are a lot of, umm, "photographers" and "sports enthusiasts" and "swimsuit procurers" interested in the subject matter.

As a "photographer" I'll have to take a looksee...

In fairness, the SI Swimsuit Edition photography hasn't seen the (as steep a) downward spiral into the alien-looking over-airbrushed models seen in popular glamour photography.

edit: not sure what you were looking for in the program, Rob, but I found it quite good. It was on CNBC which of course had a business-slant to it, which I found insightful, if cursory. Probably nothing new to anyone in the business, though. I was somewhat surprised there was even a mention of a photographer being present at the shoots.

Oh, and there were some beautiful women, too.

Well, what I had hoped for was something along the lines of the documentary that was done on Patrick Lichfield and one of his Unipart calendar shoots. All that I can see from the SI job (I even recorded the damn thing) is terrible graphics/colours and the cheap cheap design of the production. I understand that it is a 'business' programme but I think it failed even there. Any revelations about the business model must have been so obvious to anyone in business that the photography part could have been the only interesting bit for anyone watching, except that it wasn't even that. Part of the trouble was the voices: they grated; worse, the man in charge (I think the main editor) seemed to me to be even more uncomfortably at a loss than the rest of the crew. It is usually (but not always) a mistake to allow the model to speak; her personal ambitions are not generally interesting to anyone else - unless there exists a LuMo site somewhere.

Anyway, I do accept that I may have expected too much and also that I certainly failed to get it!

Ciao - Rob C

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Sports Illustrated
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 04:08:38 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Anyway, I do accept that I may have expected too much and also that I certainly failed to get it!

Alternatively, your earlier diatribe might have altered my expectations so low that even a turd would smell like roses

Rob C

Sports Illustrated
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:27:13 am »

Quote from: feppe
Alternatively, your earlier diatribe might have altered my expectations so low that even a turd would smell like roses

Now that would indeed be a talent! Do you think I might find there's a market for it here in Spain?

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up