Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey Hahn...  (Read 1838 times)

dwood

Hey Hahn...
« on: February 09, 2010, 02:04:04 pm »

When all's well, I like using your PRB paper. However, I've grown tired of having to throw out print jobs because of random specs/flakes that show up way to often. I had thought (hoped) that this was a thing of the past but here I am with a new 24" roll, experiencing the same frustrating (and costly) results. This is the last roll of this paper that I will buy. I expect better. I expect WAY better.

rant over

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Hey Hahn...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:41:34 pm »

This may or may not be what you are experiencing, but thought I should mention it.

I felt the same about another "dirty" roll paper.  What I discovered is that when mounted in the printer, heavy paper with a springy quality can unwind enough to contact the plastic cover and other parts of the printer.  I found that just cleaning the printer's plastic cover and the metal surfaces near my paper rolls completely solved the "dirty roll" problem.  Have been regularly wiping those surfaces with a slightly moist t-shirt between rolls and that has almost completely eliminated the dreaded white-spot problem from all my media.  I had not ever cleaned those surfaces when using RC and other thin, flacid papers that don't unwind much, and I had quite a severe build up of flaky crud everywhere in the paper that only started to matter with the heavier papers that would spring out enough to contact that stuff.

tived

• http://
Hey Hahn...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:12:38 pm »

We are having the same issue here, where we loose several prints per roll (44") because of specs in the paper is falling off, its very frustrating in particular as this isn't some cheap paper.

Henrik

dwood

Hey Hahn...
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:31:38 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
This may or may not be what you are experiencing, but thought I should mention it.

I felt the same about another "dirty" roll paper.  What I discovered is that when mounted in the printer, heavy paper with a springy quality can unwind enough to contact the plastic cover and other parts of the printer.  I found that just cleaning the printer's plastic cover and the metal surfaces near my paper rolls completely solved the "dirty roll" problem.  Have been regularly wiping those surfaces with a slightly moist t-shirt between rolls and that has almost completely eliminated the dreaded white-spot problem from all my media.  I had not ever cleaned those surfaces when using RC and other thin, flacid papers that don't unwind much, and I had quite a severe build up of flaky crud everywhere in the paper that only started to matter with the heavier papers that would spring out enough to contact that stuff.
Thanks for the tip Bill. I'll give this a try. However, I've never encountered these issues with Harman FB AL or Ilford GFS rolls. This is my 3rd roll of the Hahn PRB where I've run into these dang specks/spots...very frustrating.

johncustodio

Hey Hahn...
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 11:32:38 pm »

About a year ago I bought an 11x17 box of Photo Rag Baryta. It had 1 or 2 specks on many sheets. I returned it to the dealer and they set me a replacement. I checked each sheet in the 50 sheet box and about 3/4 of the sheets had at at least 1 speck. I returned the replacement and got my money back. This was a year ago, and I'm sorry to hear that Hahnemuehle still hasn't gotten their quality control act together on this paper.
-John
Pages: [1]   Go Up