Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: RGB Street Snap  (Read 4889 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
RGB Street Snap
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 11:42:02 am »

Speaking of lines and shapes, forms and colors... by coincidence, I found the following quote in the book I am reading, Landscape into Art, by Kenneth Clark, where he cites Socrates:

"I will try to speak of the beauty of shapes... straight lines and curves and the shapes made of them... They are not beautiful for any particular reason or purpose, as other things are, but are eternally, and by their very nature, beautiful, and give a pleasure of their own quite free from the itch of desire: and in this way colors can give a similar pleasure..."

I've always suspected I have something in common with Socrates, now I know exactly what  

Patricia Sheley

RGB Street Snap
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 12:06:44 pm »

Quote from: Slobodan Blagojevic
Speaking of lines and shapes, forms and colors... by coincidence, I found the following quote in the book I am reading, Landscape into Art, by Kenneth Clark, where he cites Socrates:

"I will try to speak of the beauty of shapes... straight lines and curves and the shapes made of them... They are not beautiful for any particular reason or purpose, as other things are, but are eternally, and by their very nature, beautiful, and give a pleasure of their own quite free from the itch of desire: and in this way colors can give a similar pleasure..."

I've always suspected I have something in common with Socrates, now I know exactly what  

I don't know if you wander in the book "The Nature of Photographs"/Stephen Shore...There is one segment ,The Mental Level that parallels/informs that piece of Socrates...speaking of the activity of reading a photograph...your focus shifting,not your eyes actually refocussing, but that your mind is changing focus "within your mental image of the picture"... this particular discussion happens to be faced with the Paul Caponigro image, "Death Valley, California, 1975"
It is an interesting discussionof "Pictures" that "exist on a mental level that may be coincident with the depictive level....."
A common woman~
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up