Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using the SpectraView II w/ the NEC P221W  (Read 4871 times)

Kit-V

Using the SpectraView II w/ the NEC P221W
« on: February 07, 2010, 12:57:30 pm »

Since this is my first post on this forum, I beg your indulgence if my inquiries seem a bit remedial. As a newcomer to the realm of color management, I am eagerly climbing the learning curve toward a goal of developing my personal artistic expression.

I recently ordered an NEC P221W display with a SpectraView II calibrator/software. The display will be connected to my MacBook Pro 2.4GHz running OS 10.6.2. Although it is my understanding that the SV-II software will automatically calibrate & profile the display (depending on the "target" I select), I nevertheless have a few preliminary questions.

(1) Since my objective is image processing & excellent print matching, am I correct to select the "photo editing" target in SV-II (i.e. white point = D65 & gamma = 2.2)?

(2) Does SV-II automatically select the luminance value or do I select it myself? (It has been suggested that I initially start w/ a value of 120cd/m2).

If there are any other suggestions that you might offer in the calibration/profiling of the display, I would really appreciate the benefits of your experience.

Thank you for any help. I am looking forward to the future dialog here.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 01:12:27 pm »

Quote from: kitvercella
(1) Since my objective is image processing & excellent print matching, am I correct to select the "photo editing" target in SV-II (i.e. white point = D65 & gamma = 2.2)?

(2) Does SV-II automatically select the luminance value or do I select it myself? (It has been suggested that I initially start w/ a value of 120cd/m2).
1. Not necessarily although its a decent start. The White Point and Luminance targets are solely based on the viewing conditions of the print you hope to soft proof and match. That means you have to define the viewing conditions, the booth or illuminant you’ll use nearby the display to view said print and display. The correct values are those that produce a visual match. See:http://digitaldog.net/files/Print_to_Screen_Matching.jpg

2. There’s no automatic feature and again, the cd/m2 value will be based on the viewing conditions. Ideally you have control over both as seen in the image referenced above. I’d try to keep the cd/m2 at 130, 140ish as a minimum as its difficult to physically lower a new LCD much lower than that. Do so if you find the “prints too dark” issue and an inability to raise the print viewing conditions. Lower is better in terms of longevity of the display but there’s only so low you can go. The ideal situation is having control over both display luminance and print viewing luminance.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:34:03 pm »

Just to add a bit to Andrew's second point, purely for clarification.  No, SVII doesn't control luminance value automatically in the sense of choosing it for you, but it does let you set it "automatically" as part of the one step calibration/profiling process.  You can save as many custom target settings as you like, and reload them at will.  For example, I have a "Nill standard" target that's D65/2.2/100 cd/m², and a "Nill print" target that's D65/2.2/80 cd/m², and switch between them as appropriate.

Nill

MartinCh

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 08:23:57 pm »

nec monitors have close to adobe rgb gamut, what happens with out of gamut colors? ( still printable with a printer such as 9900?)
just a few color percentages not editable or shown on monitor? do you work around this or a solution?

what specific colors are affected in their spectraview II monitors? (eg. p221w, 2690,) does this make much difference in a final print?

p221w, 2690wuxi2, pa241w,
pva screen or (more touted) IPS?
22 or 26" screen?
worth the upgrade? which worthiest?

or eizo topnotch work?

WombatHorror

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 03:00:38 am »

Quote from: MartinCh
nec monitors have close to adobe rgb gamut, what happens with out of gamut colors? ( still printable with a printer such as 9900?)
just a few color percentages not editable or shown on monitor? do you work around this or a solution?

what specific colors are affected in their spectraview II monitors? (eg. p221w, 2690,) does this make much difference in a final print?

p221w, 2690wuxi2, pa241w,
pva screen or (more touted) IPS?
22 or 26" screen?
worth the upgrade? which worthiest?

or eizo topnotch work?

It nice that they go beyond AdobeRGB in some parts.

Anyway Photoshop will just read the monitor profile and make full use of the full native gamut, no worries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up