Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snowy Dartmoor monochromes  (Read 3283 times)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Snowy Dartmoor monochromes
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:24:12 pm »

Pick of the bunch from a recent day out wandering over Dartmoor. Weather was pretty grotty - low cloud, light very flat, snow showers & wind. Comments re. improving these much appreciated
[attachment=20064:Gate.jpg] [attachment=20065:Sheep.jpg] [attachment=20066:Stream.jpg] [attachment=20067:Wall_2.jpg] [attachment=20068:Wall.jpg]

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 02:10:04 pm »

Quote from: Chairman Bill
Pick of the bunch from a recent day out wandering over Dartmoor. Weather was pretty grotty - low cloud, light very flat, snow showers & wind. Comments re. improving these much appreciated
[attachment=20064:Gate.jpg] [attachment=20065:Sheep.jpg] [attachment=20066:Stream.jpg] [attachment=20067:Wall_2.jpg] [attachment=20068:Wall.jpg]
Given the weather as you say, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the one I like the most is the one with least (rather boring) sky: the second. The sheep mirroring the stones of the wall make it an appealing shot, which repays a bit of careful looking.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:49:04 pm »

When snow is presented as gray, there should usually be a compelling (esthetic) reason for that... I do not see that reason here.

FelixAmrhein

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 03:53:29 pm »

I also love the second one. Great composition with an interesting subject. Not sure about the reason, but I like the snow the (non-white) way it is. The low contrast somehow fits the mood.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:34:22 pm »

OK. Thanks for the feedback. A quick fiddle with white balance, and hopefully an improvement.
[attachment=20071:Sheep.jpg]

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 08:37:16 am »

Would that be the Dartmoor of "The Hound of The Baskervilles" fame?
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 09:36:31 am »

Yep, same place.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 10:11:10 am »

OK. Thanks for the feedback. A quick fiddle with white balance, and hopefully an improvement.
[attachment=20071:Sheep.jpg]
It's not an improvement, in my view. The loss of contrast spoils the image. I'd stick with the original.

Jeremy

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 10:17:13 am »

So, how to improve the whiteness issue with the snow, without losing contrast, without burning out highlights, and retaining some detail in the snow? I'm using Aperture 2 for processing.

fredjeang

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 01:13:59 pm »

Quote from: Slobodan Blagojevic
When snow is presented as gray, there should usually be a compelling (esthetic) reason for that... I do not see that reason here.
I agree Slobodan, I had the same feeling. When I first looked at the pics I noticed something weired about the grey, and was wondering why.
If it would have been part of a clear artistic proposal, I would not have asked myself the question.
But I think it is an interesting topic and chalenge, technicaly and artisticaly.
I would use 3 layers with different settings and merge them with different opacity, then the mask.

Fred.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 03:44:10 am »

So, how to improve the whiteness issue with the snow, without losing contrast, without burning out highlights, and retaining some detail in the snow? I'm using Aperture 2 for processing.
I'm no expert, I'm afraid. If I had an image which looked like your second version, I'd try raising the black slider in Lightroom. I imagine there's an equivalent in Aperture.

I don't have the experience to visualise the effects, though: I have to try it and see. Just a thought.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:44:50 am by kikashi »

John R

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 12:45:05 pm »

I like the sheep shot. But overall I think I know why your images are on the dark saturated side. One is the light, heavy overcast. so that somber look can't be avoided.  And two, as we have discussed many times, sometimes its about expression and not about accuracy of tones or colours, or correct white balance. This is not to say, I think it works on all the images, but when the graphic nature of the subject comes through, such as on the sheep image and stone fence image, I think it is appropriate. Snow is notoriously difficult to correctly depict under any lighting and I have learned that what works best is what best brings out what I want to express.

JMR

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 06:21:51 pm »

Some fiddling with Aperture, and hopefully ...
[attachment=20163:Wall.jpg][attachment=20162:Sheep.jpg]

John R

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 06:53:13 pm »

It looks good to me, especially the sheep image, rows of austere criss-crossing paths and lines, including the fence and the grey band of sky itself- nice.

JMR

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 03:48:48 am »

[attachment=20163:Wall.jpg][attachment=20162:Sheep.jpg]
I think the sheep photo now looks better than either of the two previous renditions. The only thing that bothers me a little is that some of the shadow detail appears to have been lost: I'm looking in particular at the top stones of the wall.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up