Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Check of monitor blackpoint fails  (Read 1678 times)

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
Check of monitor blackpoint fails
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:55:24 am »

Hi!

I tried to check my monitor blackpoint according to the procedure advised by Bruce Fraser in Real World Color Management, 2nd edition: create a PS document which is solid black, then make a selection and increase the brightness of the selection using Curves.

First I was unable to fill the Background layer with black, so I used a Fill Layer. But regardless how high I raise the 0-point in Curves (all the way up to 255), nothing happens. - The layer IS selected.

This is PSCS 3 on Mac 10.6.2.

What's wrong?  

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 12:24:40 pm »

Quote from: Hening Bettermann
Hi!

I tried to check my monitor blackpoint according to the procedure advised by Bruce Fraser in Real World Color Management, 2nd edition: create a PS document which is solid black, then make a selection and increase the brightness of the selection using Curves.

First I was unable to fill the Background layer with black, so I used a Fill Layer. But regardless how high I raise the 0-point in Curves (all the way up to 255), nothing happens. - The layer IS selected.

This is PSCS 3 on Mac 10.6.2.

What's wrong?  
To fill the background layer with black, an easy way is to hit D and then X to get the background to black, and then make a new file choosing the background color from the drop-down menu.

Then, make a small rectangular selection.  Add a Solid Fill adjustment layer and when the color picker comes up, type in a new value for R, G, & B.  If you want 1 level increments type 1, 1, 1.  Or, if you want 5 level increments, type 5, 5, 5, etc.

Then, hit Selection>Reselect and move the selection where you want it, and repeat the process with your new values (2, 2, 2, or 10, 10, 10, etc.  Repeat to your heart's content.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:10:06 pm »

Thank you for your fast reply, Walter. I could not reproduce your recipe, but trying it, I found the way to do it:

Double-click the layer image in the layer palette, then hit OK in the dialogue that comes up. This converts the background to a normal layer, which is not locked. Then use Edit > Fill... to fill the document with the foreground color, which had been pre-selected to black. Then proceed like described in the book: Make a selection, hide the marching ants (View > Show > Selection Edges (toggle off). Then open Image > Adjustments > Curves, target the 0-point, and use the arrow keys to move the 0-Point up the vertical axis.

My marvelous monitor (Eizo CG243W) showed a visible difference already at level 2!    

Thanks again! - Hening
Pages: [1]   Go Up