Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: By the riverside  (Read 1677 times)

FelixAmrhein

By the riverside
« on: February 06, 2010, 06:57:11 am »

It hasn't been this cold in the city of cologne since the legendary winter of 1978/79. That was three years before I was born.
The snow actually survived several days without melting, wich is rather unusual around here. And beautiful snow it is. Not too dry, so it sticks to everything it falls on, coating even the tiniest twigs in white. So I grabbed my camera and went down to the fields at the riverside. My gloves are too thick to let me comfortably operate my camera, so I just put on the left one.
10 minutes later my right hand was shaking pretty bad. Quite a challenge for the shake reduktion system. Another 10 minutes later I could not feel those fingers anymore, which made operating these tiny buttons even harder.
Needless to say, the main mood I wanted to express was freezing cold.
But it was also very silent, with the snow absorbing any ambient sounds. Myself being somewhat moody these days, I felt the scenery to be surreal and the dark water felt quite menacing.

I tried to express those feelings in my pictures, but I am not sure if I was successful at all. Of course they work for me, since they remind me of how I felt right then. But what about you? I would very much appreciate any feedback!

[attachment=20042:snow_2.jpg]

dark waters
[attachment=20043:snow_3.jpg]

[attachment=20044:snow_4.jpg]

wild goose flying by
[attachment=20070:snow_5.jpg]

[attachment=20046:snow_6.jpg]

[attachment=20047:snow_7.jpg]

[attachment=20069:snow_11.jpg]

-Felix
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:33:21 pm by FelixAmrhein »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
By the riverside
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 07:29:55 am »

Not sure what it is*, but the first & last photos stand out for me; I really like them a lot. Certainly they convey the sense of cold you mention.

Edit: * Thinking about it, it's the composition & tonality of the first one, and all about composition with the last.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 07:32:10 am by Chairman Bill »

fredjeang

By the riverside
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 03:50:59 pm »

Fourth and last are my favorites.

Fred.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
By the riverside
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 04:36:46 pm »

I like the one with the bridge most - for overall tonality, sharpness and tender white tones.
Also the birds for the dynamics.
I also like the last one for composition reasons.

Very nice shots - thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:37:34 pm by ChristophC »

John R

By the riverside
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 06:58:46 pm »

The only one I don't care for is the second image. But the others, especially the the two bird images, I really like. Taking pictures in snowy conditions almost always produces interesting images, with its simplified colours and environment, and sometimes austere look. Wonderful work.

JMR

FelixAmrhein

By the riverside
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 06:17:31 am »

Thank you guys!
You are right, John. Snow makes everything look more pretty and less ordinary.
Interesting that none of you seems to care too much for the 2nd one, since it's one of my favourites, actually.
Pages: [1]   Go Up