Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here's one for Mike  (Read 2095 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Here's one for Mike
« on: February 05, 2010, 06:15:36 pm »

This guy's ready to get to work finding breakfast.

[attachment=20027:Blue.jpg]
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Payne

Here's one for Mike
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 08:18:16 pm »

Nice one ... which lens were you using?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:18:27 pm by Jeremy Payne »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Here's one for Mike
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:53:35 am »

Nice shot!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RSL

Here's one for Mike
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 10:23:28 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
Nice one ... which lens were you using?

Jeremy, I was using a camera lens.

Seriously, I was using the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR, which is one of the best bargains in the photographic equipment world. Its VR is excellent and the thing's incredibly sharp for a lens that sells for $500 and change. When I'm out on the river I hang the lens on my D3, set ISO to automatic with a top value of 6400, switch to manual and set aperture at f/8 and shutter speed at 1/1000. If it's a dim day and the ISO cranks up high enough to give me some noise, I can get rid of it with Nik's Dfine or Noiseware. Most of the time there's no noise at all. That depth of field and shutter speed will let me catch anything that flies. I don't bother with sitting birds. They're too easy.

Jeremy Payne

Here's one for Mike
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 10:31:29 am »

Quote from: RSL
Jeremy, I was using a camera lens.

Seriously, I was using the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR, which is one of the best bargains in the photographic equipment world. Its VR is excellent and the thing's incredibly sharp for a lens that sells for $500 and change. When I'm out on the river I hang the lens on my D3, set ISO to automatic with a top value of 6400, switch to manual and set aperture at f/8 and shutter speed at 1/1000. If it's a dim day and the ISO cranks up high enough to give me some noise, I can get rid of it with Nik's Dfine or Noiseware. Most of the time there's no noise at all. That depth of field and shutter speed will let me catch anything that flies. I don't bother with sitting birds. They're too easy.
As much as it overlaps with the 70-200, I think I want one of those ... soooooo much nicer to carry around ...

Ed Blagden

Here's one for Mike
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 01:40:38 am »

Nice shot Russ.  What makes it work for me is the background - the black water and the green water lilies really set off the heron.  It's a shame about the little green splodge just behind his head  but there isn't much you can do about that.

Ed

alangubbay

Here's one for Mike
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 04:51:10 am »

"It's a shame about the little green splodge just behind his head  but there isn't much you can do about that."

If you do not like it, remove it.  What is the problem?  Personally, I should also reduce the contrast and saturation of the green background so that the bird stands out better.  Nevertheless, a very impressive photograph.

RSL

Here's one for Mike
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 03:25:02 pm »

Quote from: alangubbay
"It's a shame about the little green splodge just behind his head  but there isn't much you can do about that."

If you do not like it, remove it.  What is the problem?  Personally, I should also reduce the contrast and saturation of the green background so that the bird stands out better.  Nevertheless, a very impressive photograph.

Yeah, actually it would be easy to remove the "splodge" with a one-minute clone job. And with Viveza it would take about fifteen seconds to cut the contrast and saturation of the green background. The "problem" would be that the result wouldn't be what I saw.
Pages: [1]   Go Up