Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speedboat Rocks, Lake Tahoe  (Read 1719 times)

GrantKaye

Speedboat Rocks, Lake Tahoe
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:28:59 pm »

Greetings to all. I made this exposure Monday night at Speedboat Beach on the north shore of Lake Tahoe. The light was dim, but right before the sun disappeared behind a bank of clouds to the west, it shined through on some rocks and I grabbed this shot. I am learning my way through B/W conversion, and this is one of my first efforts in PShop doing any significant amount of digital dodging and burning. My wife got me an Ansel Adams calendar for the holidays, I credit her gift for reminding me that it is OK to approach post-processing like I was back in a wet darkroom under an enlarger, bringing out contrast and adding light to selected parts of the image.

But - I ask you, does it work? Can you tell that I did it? And also, I think when making the exposure, I subconsciously lined up the far shoreline with the wave-eroded higher shoreline that's exposed on the rocks in the foreground. Does this bother you or add to the image? Further, would you have taken a different approach to PP, i.e. bring out or subdue different elements of the exposure? Thanks for the C and C.

[attachment=19972:speedboat_rocks.jpg]

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 01:29:12 am »

Overall I like it, but if it was mine I don't think I'd have cranked the black point up quite so high.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 06:47:27 am »

I'm with Mike: I would not have set the black point so high; you are obscuring the dark zones too much, at least for my tastes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:47:48 am by EduPerez »

francois

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 07:05:36 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Overall I like it, but if it was mine I don't think I'd have cranked the black point up quite so high.

Mike.
I also agree regarding the black point. The image doesn't need to be so dark in the shadows.
Francois

fredjeang

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 08:33:02 am »

Quote from: GrantKaye
Greetings to all. I made this exposure Monday night at Speedboat Beach on the north shore of Lake Tahoe. The light was dim, but right before the sun disappeared behind a bank of clouds to the west, it shined through on some rocks and I grabbed this shot. I am learning my way through B/W conversion, and this is one of my first efforts in PShop doing any significant amount of digital dodging and burning. My wife got me an Ansel Adams calendar for the holidays, I credit her gift for reminding me that it is OK to approach post-processing like I was back in a wet darkroom under an enlarger, bringing out contrast and adding light to selected parts of the image.

But - I ask you, does it work? Can you tell that I did it? And also, I think when making the exposure, I subconsciously lined up the far shoreline with the wave-eroded higher shoreline that's exposed on the rocks in the foreground. Does this bother you or add to the image? Further, would you have taken a different approach to PP, i.e. bring out or subdue different elements of the exposure? Thanks for the C and C.
Hi,
I think on the contrary that the extreme black point was a good idea in this picture. But maybe it has to be more radical.
In my version to ilustrate my point,
[attachment=19991:speedboa...hed_fred.jpg]
I used the black to erase non important details in the moutains so the stones and the sky are emphatized.
In this case, the black is important.

Cheers,

Fred.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 11:12:04 am »

Quote from: fredjeang
Hi,
I think on the contrary that the extreme black point was a good idea in this picture. But maybe it has to be more radical.
In my version to ilustrate my point,
[attachment=19991:speedboa...hed_fred.jpg]
I used the black to erase non important details in the moutains so the stones and the sky are emphatized.
In this case, the black is important.

Cheers,

Fred.

Hmm, this is interesting...non-commital as opposed to statement...there is an opportunity to use  a global stronger black point but mask to bring back selective detail on just the highlight side of foreground beach stone...wondering what you removed from "mountain detail" ...if in focus, some would have been nice for balance...(you say erased, but hoping you worked on a mask)...this is the type that was always fun in the darkroom, notekeeping on exposure and laying plans for dodge and burn...we're so lucky to have the editing capabilities which exist today especially if captured raw with low iso...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:13:09 am by psheleyimages »
A common woman~
Pages: [1]   Go Up