Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rodenstock 40mm HR W versus Schneider 43mm  (Read 9679 times)

JdeV

• http://www.jonathandevilliers.com
Rodenstock 40mm HR W versus Schneider 43mm
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:29:45 pm »

Before I order the Rodenstock 40mm, which I know pretty well, has anyone tried the new Schneider 43mm?

I'm interested principally in real world coverage for them both. Paper spec. gives the Schneider 20mm extra which would be very valuable to me.

If I'm reading the charts right the Rodenstock has greater sharpness at 40 l.p.m from about a third or so out of the centre of the image circle than the Schneider at 30 l.p.m.

However, the Schneider, despite the symmetrical design, seems to have similar fall-off and of course the greater coverage.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:53:17 pm by JdeV »

tho_mas

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 02:34:18 pm »

Quote from: JdeV
has anyone tried the new Schneider 43mm?
I was told it will be out late spring, more likely summer this year.

JdeV

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 02:54:55 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
I was told it will be out late spring, more likely summer this year.

Alpa have had one for some time. I guess it was a pre-production sample.

They told me that distortion was almost zero for the Schneider and, 'moustache' for the Rodenstock.

archivue

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 05:12:42 pm »

They told me that distortion was almost zero for the Schneider and, 'moustache' for the Rodenstock.

Distortion, that's the reason why i've bought a 35XL... i will wait for the 43 !
But the 40 is easier to focus on a LF camera and plenty sharp... always compromises !

JdeV

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 06:07:56 pm »

Quote from: archivue
Distortion, that's the reason why i've bought a 35XL... i will wait for the 43 !
But the 40 is easier to focus on a LF camera and plenty sharp... always compromises !

Two things:

Have you tried the Arca software with your 35XL? (Sorry if this has been talked about before).

Do you have the 47mm? If so, how good is it? In the centre but also at the edges of that 113mm image circle.

tho_mas

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 06:24:27 pm »

Do you have the 47mm? If so, how good is it? In the centre but also at the edges of that 113mm image circle.
Question is also: on which sensor?
I use the 47XL with a P45.
I think we can talk endlessly about what we call sharp...
For stitching - as there is also an increase in overall resolution - I go without worries up to 17mm shift (even 20mm if in the respective image area is sky or something that doesn't ask for crisp sharpness).
I'd say up to 12mm - probably up to 15mm - nobody would seriously critizise the performance of the 47XL.
Center performance, of course, is excellent.
However I am probably going to exchange it for the 43XL. The 43XL is supposed to be much better regarding corner sharpness, light falloff and distortion.
Alpa Lens Corrector works like charm with the 47XL... the nice thing is even the shift settings in the software are working phenomenal.

CBarrett

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 11:53:19 pm »

I've heard that the 43 will likely be available come May, while the 28 probably won't poke its head out till Fall.  I'm anxious to order an Rm3d, but torn on what to do about glass.  My Apo-Sironar Digi 35 and 45 will get me by until the new Schneiders are out, but they are a frequent cause of frustration.

Have my crappy 35mm mounted at $1k or buy the 35mm XL or just wait for someone to come out with a new 35?.... etc, etc ,etc Yada Yada.

Unfortunately the 35 and 45 are my most common lenses.

RobertJ

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:14:13 am »

Without having to start a new thread, can anyone tell me about the Schneider 90mm f/4.5 digitar N vs. the Rodenstock HR 100mm f/4 in terms of sharpness and control of abberations, etc.  I know the Schneider has a larger image circle (90mm vs. 70mm), but I'm more concerned with resolution.  Are they almost identical in performance?  There's also a $1,000 price difference between the two...

CBarrett

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 12:55:39 am »

Quote from: T-1000
Without having to start a new thread, can anyone tell me about the Schneider 90mm f/4.5 digitar N vs. the Rodenstock HR 100mm f/4 in terms of sharpness and control of abberations, etc.  I know the Schneider has a larger image circle (90mm vs. 70mm), but I'm more concerned with resolution.  Are they almost identical in performance?  There's also a $1,000 price difference between the two...

Actually, I find the 90mm HR (which has a 125mm circle and a nice price) to be exceptionally sharp.

RobertJ

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 01:04:40 am »

Thanks Christopher.
I know Rodenstock has the line of HR lenses that have the larger image circles (digaron-W), and according to them, these line of lenses, including the 90mm, are about as good as the 100mm HR and the digaron-S lenses, but not quite.  So if the 90mm is spectacular, I'm sure the 100mm should be pretty darn good too.  I guess we'd probably be splitting hairs by comparing these lenses...

archivue

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 05:52:42 am »

Actually, I find the 90mm HR (which has a 125mm circle and a nice price) to be exceptionally sharp.

+1 !

same lens as the Apo sironar digital 90 !

i don't have the 47 but the 45 apo sironar digital... quite a good lens with a 22mp Aptus... closer to the 55 performance, than the not so good 35 apo sironar digital.

The 35 XL is really good, but 10-12mm rise max !
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:22:44 am by archivue »

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 11:10:11 am »

The 35 XL is really good, but 10-12mm rise max !

In my experience (and others I know) up to 17mm displacement has yet to be a problem.

archivue

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 11:51:34 am »

Quote from: asf
In my experience (and others I know) up to 17mm displacement has yet to be a problem.

i've read that also from others... it the reason why i've send my lens to schneider to check it !

asf

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 12:26:45 pm »

i've read that also from others... it the reason why i've send my lens to schneider to check it !

If you're using it on a bellows camera that's more likely the cause

archivue

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 12:56:06 pm »

If you're using it on a bellows camera that's more likely the cause

yes, it's possible... but once my Fline have been check, i've carrefuly check the // of standards, and i was using live view... it still the same !
Anyway, i will probably have it mount for my next camera...

asf

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 01:56:20 pm »

yes, it's possible... but once my Fline have been check, i've carrefuly check the // of standards, and i was using live view... it still the same !
Anyway, i will probably have it mount for my next camera...

You're able to precisely check the parallelism of you standards when shifted 12mm+ to the degree necessary to insure tolerances necessary for a digital back? Every time you set up? You have that much set up time available to you on each shot? Combined with the relative slowness of Leaf's live view, with it's grainy 60's b/w video feed quality and student horror movie effect refresh rate, my patience would be severely tried.

I've been through these problems with rail cameras (specifically the f-line) many times. In my case it was not possible to keep the standards square enough for lenses 35mm or wider (camera had been serviced by arca). 2 other photogs I know have been through the same situation and come to the same results. In each case the rail camera - arca f and sinar, could not provide the degree of precision necessary to consistently use lenses 35 mm or shorter (without tedious 4 corner and center focus checking). When shifting, the bellows, no matter how supple or pliable, inevitably pull enough to cause problems.

archivue

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 04:42:23 pm »

You're able to precisely check the parallelism of you standards when shifted 12mm+ to the degree necessary to insure tolerances necessary for a digital back? Every time you set up? You have that much set up time available to you on each shot? Combined with the relative slowness of Leaf's live view, with it's grainy 60's b/w video feed quality and student horror movie effect refresh rate, my patience would be severely tried.

yes i know... so it's why i've took some time to make a final test for the lens... and why, i'm in a way to buy a RM3D (or MAX, but probably the arca) this year !

archivue

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 04:43:47 pm »

"When shifting, the bellows, no matter how supple or pliable, inevitably pull enough to cause problems."

i have a special set up actually... the super wide bellow, and a M line back on a F-line !
i can even use a rotaslide with a 35XL with this set up.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:44:35 pm by archivue »
Pages: [1]   Go Up