Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Lord!  (Read 3330 times)

Rob C

Good Lord!
« on: February 02, 2010, 03:56:01 pm »

I have just retyped a list of all my stuff for the home insurance broker, mainly because he thinks he is losing track of the changes in the photographic bits. I can tell you, it gave me quite a shock! I had no idea that I have been spending (tempted to write wasted, but controlled myself just in time) quite as much on things digital, computers and printers included in that. Frankly, were I suddenly to have thought of spending the same amount in one fell swoop, I would have been unable to steel myself to doing it.

Of course, this is somebody in a retired situation speaking, but even so, it does raise the hairs on the back of my neck. So I suppose I can conclude that it isn't only governments that screw up.

Rob C

Harold

Good Lord!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 05:12:06 pm »

Does that mean that you will be forced to come out of retirement?

fredjeang

Good Lord!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 05:12:35 pm »

...and if we add in the list of wasted-spending, the amout of extra time per day we are stuck in front of our computer because of color profiles, noise ninja, and fractals calculations, plus, the amount of health wasted in back pain, neck cramps and eyes fatigue, plus the amount of wasted electricity and batteries to feed our nice engines, plus the wasted backups, lost pictures, sofware learning curve and the amount of wasted hours we all spent in DP review to watch thechnical reviews....plus...
healthy calculations are sometimes not only the most obvious.  

Fred

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Good Lord!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 05:23:17 pm »

Is there something else you would have rather spent the same amount of money on? If no, then it is money well spent.

fredjeang

Good Lord!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 08:34:35 pm »

Quote from: Slobodan Blagojevic
Is there something else you would have rather spent the same amount of money on? If no, then it is money well spent.
As long as one's aware, it is always well spent.

Ray

Good Lord!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:27:05 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
As long as one's aware, it is always well spent.

I'm often criticised by my partner for spending money on useless things like cameras. Her rationale seems to be, if I can spend $20,000 on camera equipment and printers, then I can afford to spend the same amount on other things which don't interest me, but which interest her.

I have great difficulty in explaining that because I have spent $20,000 on camera related equipment, I am therefore unable to afford another $20,000 on a river cruise down the Danube.  

But it looks as though I'll have to, nevertheless.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Good Lord!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 11:57:40 pm »

So Rob, if on that list you cross out all the items you don't actually use or need, how painful is that?

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Good Lord!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 12:32:18 am »

Quote from: Ray
I'm often criticised by my partner for spending money on useless things like cameras. Her rationale seems to be, if I can spend $20,000 on camera equipment and printers, then I can afford to spend the same amount on other things which don't interest me, but which interest her.

I have great difficulty in explaining that because I have spent $20,000 on camera related equipment, I am therefore unable to afford another $20,000 on a river cruise down the Danube.  

But it looks as though I'll have to, nevertheless.

I have always found its best not to ask permission from my wife to purchase anything - I instead just ask forgiveness after the fact.  

Oh, and that only occurs if she notices the new 'toy' lying around and asks 'when did u get that?'  

To the inevitable question 'of how much did it cost?' I always answer ' better you dont ask, lets go out to dinner'  
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Ray

Good Lord!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 02:59:51 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
I have always found its best not to ask permission from my wife to purchase anything - I instead just ask forgiveness after the fact.  

Oh, and that only occurs if she notices the new 'toy' lying around and asks 'when did u get that?'  

To the inevitable question 'of how much did it cost?' I always answer ' better you dont ask, lets go out to dinner'  

Good advice! I'll try that in future   .

My partner doesn't read this forum.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:02:28 am by Ray »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Good Lord!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 03:38:03 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
A small ad I heard quoted in a news programme a while ago:

FOR SALE: Harley Davidson motorbike. Hardly used. Bought only two weeks ago. Apparently "Do whatever you like" doesn't mean what I thought.

Jeremy
(actually, although it said "what", it didn't say "whatever")

Rob C

Good Lord!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 04:47:27 am »

Quote from: bill t.
So Rob, if on that list you cross out all the items you don't actually use or need, how painful is that?

Bill, it makes it even worse! Nobody wants to buy for anything other than sacrificial (mine) prices.

Rob C

Rob C

Good Lord!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 04:51:40 am »

Quote from: Slobodan Blagojevic

The only thing I can think of is long-term security. Trouble is, I have to go and have another stent inserted in a couple of weeks and so even that seems to be somewhat doubtful. Oh well, can't do anything now about either the cameras or the stent, so may as well just carry on drifting.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

Good Lord!
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 04:53:26 am »

Quote from: Harold
Does that mean that you will be forced to come out of retirement?

Harold, you think there is always choice?

Rob C

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Good Lord!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 09:57:01 am »

Quote from: Rob C
The only thing I can think of is long-term security. Trouble is, I have to go and have another stent inserted in a couple of weeks and so even that seems to be somewhat doubtful. Oh well, can't do anything now about either the cameras or the stent, so may as well just carry on drifting.

;-)

Rob C

FWIW I've been paying for a number of medical exams recently. It amounts to a very costly way to be frightened and tortured. I guess the reward amounts to a lot of emotional content for the $$$$......

I’d be much happier to dump money into *anything* than that.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Good Lord!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 10:49:46 am »

Quote from: Justan
FWIW I've been paying for a number of medical exams recently. It amounts to a very costly way to be frightened and tortured.

My personal favorite is the nerve conduction study, which entails receiving about 45 minutes of electrical shocks while needles embedded in the skin and various other sensors measure the nerve's response to the shock...

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Good Lord!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 11:04:00 am »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
My personal favorite is the nerve conduction study, which entails receiving about 45 minutes of electrical shocks while needles embedded in the skin and various other sensors measure the nerve's response to the shock...

I had that one a few years back. Actually I had 2 of them. I accepted it as painful payback for some of the things I did to slugs when I was a child.

And the worst part was that it was no more useful then the “tests” I’d done on slugs.

But still, it’s fairly entry level in the realm of medical torture.

Joe Pesci said it best, and I will paraphrase: They fu*k you at the hospital. First they drug you [if you are lucky] and then they fu*k you. Then they turn you over to the insurance company and then they fu*k you too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up