Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon 40 super precision matte screen  (Read 1581 times)

chrishphoto

canon 40 super precision matte screen
« on: February 02, 2010, 08:36:24 am »

Hi,

I am considering the ef-d super matte screen for my 40d as I am fed up with the dof issues you get with fast lenses using the standard screen. I mainly shoot with a 2.8 "normal" zoom or primes ranging from f1.4 to f2 but sometimes need to use slower lenses, such as the canon 70-300 is zoom or tokina 12-24 f4. I'm sure the screen will work well for the fast glass but I'm concerned that it will make the zooms unusable. Has anyone used it with similar lenses?

Any feedback would be appreciated,

Chris

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:58:12 am »

I use that screen on my 1D II bodies. It does a much better job of previewing DOF than the standard screen. With the fast prime lenses, the screen is very bright. With the f/2.8 zooms, it is noticeably darker but still usable. With an f/4 lens, it is very dark, but I only had serious problems when shooting outdoors in the snow (my eyes were adjusted for very bright conditions,) or indoors under very dark conditions.

Note this is for photojournalism, it would not be an issue for tripod mounted landscape photography.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

kitalight

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 11:50:56 am »

I have the EF-S screen (same but without grid lines) and it works fine indoors with my 40D and F3.5-4.5 zooms, 4.5 prime and wider primes stopped down to F4...it is, however, too dark indoors to comfortably view through the F3.5-5.6 18-55mm kit...at least for me....outdoors it's okay....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:51:44 am by kitalight »
Pages: [1]   Go Up