Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The female presence ??  (Read 11887 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
The female presence ??
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 07:37:21 pm »

Quote from: blansky
I think that pretty much everyone can attest to the fact that women are far too emotional for these types of forums. Added to that their total inability to handle mechanical type devices as well as computers and it just adds up to an unmitigated disaster.

They obviously are much better suited to the cooking, homemaking and perhaps sewing sections of the world wide web.

I'm joking.......... boy, some people are so sensitive.

Michael

Translation: Men aren't encumbered by a right brain, while women are? 
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
The female presence ??
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 11:08:07 pm »

Yes, Lisa, I love your mountain pix. Do let us all know when you have the Dolomites up on the web site.

Eric

Lisa.... that would be great to see your Dolomite images when they are ready....... I shot that area about 4 years ago..... it's fantastic.

OK, OK, I'll post a note here (well, in the Locations subforum) when they're done and posted...I'll try to finish them in the next week or two.  It's good to know that somebody is enjoying them...  

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Ray

The female presence ??
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 11:08:30 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
One has to look no further than the UK's Margaret Thatcher: the best prime minister in decades, she was brought down by the egos and envy of her own male politicians.  Clever boys.

Tell me, Rob. Wasn't Margaret Thatcher the lady who had a big fight with the coal miners in the U.K, then handed out lots of money to groups of climatologists to find evidence that our CO2 emissions are warming the planet, thus creating a big scare and making the building of Nuclear Power stations more acceptable to the public?

stamper

The female presence ??
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 09:48:31 am »

I was enjoying your postings to the forum until you mentioned Margaret Thatcher.

No problem: draw a discreet blue veil around the subject!

;-)

Rob C

Thank you. That would lift the red mist
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:50:18 am by stamper »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
The female presence ??
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 12:59:59 pm »

Lisa,

The Eric you may have in thought may spell his name with "k" like Erik ;-)

I hope you enjoyed your trip to the Dolomites.

Much interested in your experience on the GH1, by the way. :-)

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Lisa Nikodym
Awww, thanks Eric.
Are you the same Eric who likes my mountain photos?  If so, then I have to apologize - I have a great set of photos from my vacation to the Dolomites (northern Italy; fantastic mountains!) last July, but have been so busy this past year that I haven't quite gotten around to finishing them, so they aren't up on the web site yet.  I *hope* to finish them in the next few weeks.  In between trying to figure out how to properly use my new GH1...

Lisa
Erik Kaffehr

Lisa Nikodym

The female presence ??
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 05:00:08 pm »

Lisa,

The Eric you may have in thought may spell his name with "k" like Erik ;-)

I hope you enjoyed your trip to the Dolomites.

Much interested in your experience on the GH1, by the way. :-)

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik (with a "k")!
Actually, it was the Eric with a "c" that I was thinking of, but I remember admiring *your* photos of the Dolomites before my trip (and thank you for your recommendations).  They are really stunning mountains.  We are thinking about going back later this year to see some different parts of them.  I'll try to get some of my photos of them up on my web site this weekend.

I'm still trying to figure out all the features on the GH1, and how best to do things with it.  Initial tests of the image quality with the 14-140mm lens show that it's *almost* as good as my Nikon D300 with the Nikon 18-200 VR lens.  It's much smaller and lighter than my Nikon kit, and the ergonomics seem quite good; it doesn't take long to get the hang of most of the controls.  There are just so many options and features (for example: not just face recognition, but you can train it to recognize specific peoples' faces to focus on!) that it's taking quite awhile to sort through them all and make sure all the settings are optimal for my shooting style.  I'll try to remember to send you a PM when I've tried it out enough to decide which camera I like better (but if you haven't heard from me in about a month, you can send me a PM to remind me).

Lisa

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
The female presence ??
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 05:19:56 pm »

Hi Eric and yes, I'm still around!  do like medium format and landscapes and shoot other things too!  I recently returned from Bosque del Apache in New Mexico and posted some landscapes of that place on my site.  Geezzz, what an incredibly gorgeous place with a preponderance of reds and yellows (very "winter like")!  Eleanor

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

There are and used to be a few female posters, and also they tend to be on the positive side. I recall Jessica Luchesi, Eleanor Brown, Token Girl, Lisa Nikodym and a few a more. More female posters would be nice, of course.

Best regards
Erik
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Paul Sumi

The female presence ??
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 05:41:29 pm »

Quote from: eleanorbrown
I recently returned from Bosque del Apache in New Mexico and posted some landscapes of that place on my site.  Geezzz, what an incredibly gorgeous place with a preponderance of reds and yellows (very "winter like")!  Eleanor

Eleanor, your Bosque landscapes are quite a departure from the usual migrating waterfowl images we see this time of year.  It's great to see this other side of the Apache Woods.

Paul

Rob C

The female presence ??
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 06:38:21 pm »

Quote from: Ray
Tell me, Rob. Wasn't Margaret Thatcher the lady who had a big fight with the coal miners in the U.K, then handed out lots of money to groups of climatologists to find evidence that our CO2 emissions are warming the planet, thus creating a big scare and making the building of Nuclear Power stations more acceptable to the public?

She was the lady who did away with the dollar premium and made it possible for poor guys like me to move abroad and buy a place to live...

The greatest politicians I remember were Harold Wilson and Jim Callaghan. Why did they make such an indelible mark on me?  Because during their reign, at the time I was starting my calendar business, I found myself ending every quotation with the immortal and encouraging words: "final price dependent on rate of inflation at time of delivery." You can just imagine how welcome that was on a production that was starting off life at around forty to fifty grand and with delivery time around ten months away from placing of the order...

Yep, she did have a scrap with the coal boys and won. Just as she did with that lot down in the upside-down half of the world when they tried to free some islands that didn't want freedom... sounds spookily current, don't you think?

But let's not get bogged down in politicians: they all do more harm than good - check your local airport!

;-)

Rob C

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
The female presence ??
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 07:25:40 pm »

Paul it was interesting...my reaction to Bosque.  For the most part all I'd ever seen was images of thousands of geese taking off etc etc....wonderful images for sure but I was immediately taken by the landscape itself.  I was not prepared for the incredible beauty of the place..the color was incredible, at least with the light and weather I had to work with---sunset one evening and clouds and drizzle next morning.  I used one camera with one wide angle lens and everything, and I mean everything in this series was handheld. Eleanor

Quote from: Paul Sumi
Eleanor, your Bosque landscapes are quite a departure from the usual migrating waterfowl images we see this time of year.  It's great to see this other side of the Apache Woods.

Paul
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Eric Myrvaagnes

The female presence ??
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 12:28:39 am »

Quote from: eleanorbrown
Paul it was interesting...my reaction to Bosque.  For the most part all I'd ever seen was images of thousands of geese taking off etc etc....wonderful images for sure but I was immediately taken by the landscape itself.  I was not prepared for the incredible beauty of the place..the color was incredible, at least with the light and weather I had to work with---sunset one evening and clouds and drizzle next morning.  I used one camera with one wide angle lens and everything, and I mean everything in this series was handheld. Eleanor
Eleanor,

My own reaction to Bosque on my one visit about two years ago was very similar. We saw birds, but I was most impressed by the magical sense of light of the place. I'll check out your new images tomorrow.

Eric (one of the "c" Eric's, not the "k" one)

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

LoisWakeman

The female presence ??
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 04:39:49 am »

I may look like an old boot and be occasionally addressed as 'sir', but I am definitely female

However, I do tend to stay away from the "my lens is bigger than your lens" type threads, and keep out of the occasional mud-slinging that goes on here. I am far more interested in composition and the emotional and artistic aspects of photography than the technical side. (Not because I am a hopeless girly - I am reasonably technically literate, having a science degree - but because I think the results have to speak for themselves, rather than the kit that was used to get them.)

Oh, and I love landscapes best of all, and was surprised to read that women are generally less interested in that genre.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:46:30 am by LoisWakeman »

fredjeang

The female presence ??
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 05:26:52 am »

Quote from: LoisWakeman
I may look like an old boot and be occasionally addressed as 'sir', but I am definitely female

However, I do tend to stay away from the "my lens is bigger than your lens" type threads, and keep out of the occasional mud-slinging that goes on here. I am far more interested in composition and the emotional and artistic aspects of photography than the technical side. (Not because I am a hopeless girly - I am reasonably technically literate, having a science degree - but because I think the results have to speak for themselves, rather than the kit that was used to get them.)

Oh, and I love landscapes best of all, and was surprised to read that women are generally less interested in that genre.
Hi Lois,
I was looking at your website and was VERY happy to see how just right is the usability, navigation and searching. Apart from the pure design, (because it is something strictly personal), your website is an example for "how-to-do-things-just-right" (sorry for my bad english).
I enjoyed a lot, a pleasure.

Fred.

LoisWakeman

The female presence ??
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 06:19:59 am »

Thanks for your kind words Fred - and your English is fine.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
The female presence ??
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 09:04:15 am »

Of course, that's the major reason why women are feared in some - ermm - societies: they would make far better leaders if only because they are able to look at life without testosterone delusions and seem able to take unpopular decisions if they deem them to be the correct ones. One has to look no further than the UK's Margaret Thatcher: the best prime minister in decades, she was brought down by the egos and envy of her own male politicians.  Clever boys.
Thatcher was far more macho and aggressive than most men. "The Lady is not for turning" was a honest statement of her inflexibility and unwillingness to admitting to mistakes. Blair learnt a lot from her!
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

bjanes

The female presence ??
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 11:20:34 am »

Quote from: blansky
I think that pretty much everyone can attest to the fact that women are far too emotional for these types of forums. Added to that their total inability to handle mechanical type devices as well as computers and it just adds up to an unmitigated disaster.

They obviously are much better suited to the cooking, homemaking and perhaps sewing sections of the world wide web.
I'm joking.......... boy, some people are so sensitive.
Michael
As Larry Summers learned, politically incorrect statements concerning the innate abilities of females on math and science can get one in trouble. I suspect that many women are more interested in artistic results than theory and gear, but the two are not incompatible as posts by Marianne Oelund show.

Rob C

The female presence ??
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 05:25:30 pm »

Quote from: jjj
Thatcher was far more macho and aggressive than most men. "The Lady is not for turning" was a honest statement of her inflexibility and unwillingness to admitting to mistakes. Blair learnt a lot from her!

Nice to see you posting again; Blair's problem was that all the real battles had already been fought so he had to involve himself in others which were really outwith his field of genuine concern. Remember, he was the one obsessed by 'legacy' which, it seems, has escaped him, leaving not even a ripple in his wake. Regarding Maggie - I always did say she was the best man we ever had. Mistakes? In politics, mistakes are only mistakes when events turn them into mistakes. At the onset, they have a fifty-fifty chance at worst of being the right thing to do. Had Blair picked on an 'adventure' that really concerned the UK's interests in a basic and visceral manner, he might have still been in office today instead of just making more money and pissing around in the middle-east.

Slightly off-topic, I find it quite astonishing that the gutter press has been able to dethrone John Terry, put England's chances into even greater jeopardy, and otherwise turn private peccadillos into public concerns. A classical case of public interest being confused with public curiosity. By the way, I don't watch football, thinking all these people should have left that stuff behind them in school. There is something slightly bizarre about adults playing childhood games, the only thing even further out being that they can become extremely rich doing so. Strange world.

;-)

Rob C

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
The female presence ??
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2010, 01:27:24 am »

Hi,

I presume it's just statistics, but I got the impression that the few female posters on the forum are both well informed, technically competent and not least polite. A few male posters are ignorant and rude. Majority of posters are serious, knowledgeable and helpful.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: bjanes
As Larry Summers learned, politically incorrect statements concerning the innate abilities of females on math and science can get one in trouble. I suspect that many women are more interested in artistic results than theory and gear, but the two are not incompatible as posts by Marianne Oelund show.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
The female presence ??
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2010, 01:28:19 am »

Hi,

I presume it's just statistics, but I got the impression that the few female posters on the forum are both well informed, technically competent and not least polite. A few male posters are ignorant and rude. Majority of posters are serious, knowledgeable and helpful.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: bjanes
Erik Kaffehr

Lisa Nikodym

The female presence ??
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 11:00:23 pm »

Eric & Wolfman, I've just posted my Dolomites photos in a new thread under the "Landscape Photography Locations" forum.  I'm pretty sure this trip counts as "most keepers per day" of any trip I've made!

Lisa
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up