Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The female presence ??  (Read 11889 times)

fredjeang

The female presence ??
« on: February 01, 2010, 02:43:00 pm »

Hi,

I joined the LU-LA about ten days ago, and noticed so far that there
are no women in the forum  

Curious no?

Women are now
plane pilots,
submarine officers,
truck drivers,
ship captains,
space-shuttle astonauts,
etc...

photography????  

Fred.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
The female presence ??
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:48:44 pm »

They're a minority, but not because there are any "no women allowed" rules here. But they are around and do post if you look.

DarkPenguin

The female presence ??
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 03:11:13 pm »

I dunno.  I think we drove off the last female forumite ....
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:19:06 pm by DarkPenguin »

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
The female presence ??
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 05:20:48 pm »

It seems the more gear-driven and tech-focused a forum is, the fewer female participants it will have.  I also think the "Landscape" focus of this site makes it less popular with women. I know LuLua isn't just about landscape but it is the dominant genre (the MFDB forum being the main exception to that).

Other forums I've frequented that had a broader focus on photography of all types (and not so much on camera equipment) seem to have more female participation.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:21:15 pm by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
The female presence ??
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 05:50:40 pm »

I dunno. I think we drove off the last female forumite ....

Hey, I'm still here...  I'm not quite as vocal as I once was, as things have been gradually drifting away towards things I'm less interested in (medium format, color management, "everybody look at my picture" posts, verbal pissing contests, etc. etc.), but I still show up now & then (mostly to give travel advice, it seems  ).

I only participate in one other photography forum, and it seems to have a slightly higher density of females, but only slightly, and they seem to concentrate in the "smaller camera" (4/3, digicam, small Leica) categories, while the cameras of most interest at the LL forum seem to be getting bigger, heavier and more expensive as time goes on.  I'm going in the other direction, trying out downsizing from a full-size DSLR to a micro 4/3 just because it's easier to carry for long periods of time for those of us with smaller hands and weaker shoulders.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
The female presence ??
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 09:55:38 pm »

I'm glad you're still with us, Lisa. Your contributions are always valuable.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stamper

The female presence ??
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 04:14:57 am »

Quote from: fredjeang
Hi,

Curious no?

Women are now
plane pilots,
submarine officers,
truck drivers,
ship captains,
space-shuttle astonauts,
etc...

photography????  

Fred.

What about transvestites and gays?

Rob C

The female presence ??
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 05:15:01 am »

Quote from: stamper
What about transvestites and gays?

Ah Stamper, therein lies the conundrum: do females accept these categories more readily than do males? And if so why so, and if not, why not?

I think it would be much more interesting were women given to posting more often; I have usually found the real-life situation of speaking with the ladies to be generally more rewarding than much of the conversation with male persons. With the latter, it tends to be always the same: they are doing fantastically well, even as their shoes disintegrate; everything sems to have to be presented in the most positive manner, spin being king regardless of what the reality might be. I have learned through experience that women are generally far more realistic. Of course, that's the major reason why they are feared in some - ermm - societies: they would make far better leaders if only because they are able to look at life without testosterone delusions and seem able to take unpopular decisions if they deem them to be the correct ones. One has to look no further than the UK's Margaret Thatcher: the best prime minister in decades, she was brought down by the egos and envy of her own male politicians.  Clever boys.

I can't think of a single incident on LuLa where a woman has caused a thread to be shut down.

Rob C

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
The female presence ??
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 06:58:45 am »

Hi,

There are and used to be a few female posters, and also they tend to be on the positive side. I recall Jessica Luchesi, Eleanor Brown, Token Girl, Lisa Nikodym and a few a more. More female posters would be nice, of course.

Best regards
Erik

Hi,

Curious no?

Women are now
plane pilots,
submarine officers,
truck drivers,
ship captains,
space-shuttle astonauts,
etc...

photography????  

Fred.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
The female presence ??
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 07:05:59 am »

Hi,

I second that. On the other hand most posters on the forum are good regardless of sex.

Regarding female leaders I'd suggest they need to be good, because they cannot compete with males on mediocrity. Angela Merkel seem also be a pretty good leader.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Rob C
Ah Stamper, therein lies the conundrum: do females accept these categories more readily than do males? And if so why so, and if not, why not?

I think it would be much more interesting were women given to posting more often; I have usually found the real-life situation of speaking with the ladies to be generally more rewarding than much of the conversation with male persons. With the latter, it tends to be always the same: they are doing fantastically well, even as their shoes disintegrate; everything sems to have to be presented in the most positive manner, spin being king regardless of what the reality might be. I have learned through experience that women are generally far more realistic. Of course, that's the major reason why they are feared in some - ermm - societies: they would make far better leaders if only because they are able to look at life without testosterone delusions and seem able to take unpopular decisions if they deem them to be the correct ones. One has to look no further than the UK's Margaret Thatcher: the best prime minister in decades, she was brought down by the egos and envy of her own male politicians.  Clever boys.

I can't think of a single incident on LuLa where a woman has caused a thread to be shut down.

Rob C
Erik Kaffehr

tokengirl

The female presence ??
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 07:12:27 am »

Hi,

You're hurting my feelings.  

stamper

The female presence ??
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 08:14:52 am »

Quote from: Rob C

Rob C

I was enjoying your postings to the forum until you mentioned Margaret Thatcher.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
The female presence ??
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 12:29:00 pm »

I'm glad you're still with us, Lisa. Your contributions are always valuable.

Eric

Awww, thanks Eric.
Are you the same Eric who likes my mountain photos?  If so, then I have to apologize - I have a great set of photos from my vacation to the Dolomites (northern Italy; fantastic mountains!) last July, but have been so busy this past year that I haven't quite gotten around to finishing them, so they aren't up on the web site yet.  I *hope* to finish them in the next few weeks.  In between trying to figure out how to properly use my new GH1...

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
The female presence ??
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 01:57:56 pm »

Quote from: Lisa Nikodym
Awww, thanks Eric.
Are you the same Eric who likes my mountain photos?  If so, then I have to apologize - I have a great set of photos from my vacation to the Dolomites (northern Italy; fantastic mountains!) last July, but have been so busy this past year that I haven't quite gotten around to finishing them, so they aren't up on the web site yet.  I *hope* to finish them in the next few weeks.  In between trying to figure out how to properly use my new GH1...

Lisa

Lisa.... that would be great to see your Dolomite images when they are ready....... I shot that area about 4 years ago..... it's fantastic.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
The female presence ??
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 02:02:12 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
It seems the more gear-driven and tech-focused a forum is, the fewer female participants it will have.  I also think the "Landscape" focus of this site makes it less popular with women. I know LuLua isn't just about landscape but it is the dominant genre (the MFDB forum being the main exception to that).

Other forums I've frequented that had a broader focus on photography of all types (and not so much on camera equipment) seem to have more female participation.

Could you recommend a couple of forums that focus on other areas of photography? Thanks.

Paul Sumi

The female presence ??
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 03:04:11 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
Could you recommend a couple of forums that focus on other areas of photography? Thanks.

Sportsshooter.com for sports and photojournalism (but need to be recommended by current member and fill out application to join to be able to post on forum).

FredMiranda.com has a number of specific interest photo forums (landscape, sports, wedding, general professional, B&W, etc).  Also a number of forums dedicated to photo equipment.

nwpphotoforum.com for nature, wildlife and pet photography

Paul
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:06:11 pm by Paul Sumi »

Rob C

The female presence ??
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 03:40:45 pm »

Quote from: stamper
I was enjoying your postings to the forum until you mentioned Margaret Thatcher.

No problem: draw a discreet blue veil around the subject!

;-)

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
The female presence ??
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 05:10:53 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
... More female posters would be nice, of course...
With the goal of a "fair and balanced" membership, may I suggest to the moderators to freeze any new male membership applications until a 50/50 split is reached?

Eric Myrvaagnes

The female presence ??
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 05:47:38 pm »

Quote from: Lisa Nikodym
Awww, thanks Eric.

Lisa
Yes, Lisa, I love your mountain pix. Do let us all know when you have the Dolomites up on the web site.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

blansky

The female presence ??
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 07:11:48 pm »

I think that pretty much everyone can attest to the fact that women are far too emotional for these types of forums. Added to that their total inability to handle mechanical type devices as well as computers and it just adds up to an unmitigated disaster.

They obviously are much better suited to the cooking, homemaking and perhaps sewing sections of the world wide web.

I'm joking.......... boy, some people are so sensitive.

Michael
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:12:45 pm by blansky »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up