Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Morning at The Summit, Daviess Co. KY  (Read 4501 times)

wthomphoto

• http://
Winter Morning at The Summit, Daviess Co. KY
« on: February 01, 2010, 10:30:30 am »

Here's a shot early morning on a golf course near my home. Shot with Canon 5DMK11 with 24-105 Lens.

Second image reflects a crop using perspective to correct the left leaning tree.

The original photograph was taken with camera level per  a bubble level, and the trees are actually leaning, which I like.  However after psheley's comment, I went back and looked at it again.

After 40 years photographing, I have learned to listen to other peoples comments.  We don't always see things the way others do.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments.

Wendell
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:27:17 pm by wthomphoto »

francois

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:53:28 am »

Quote from: wthomphoto
Here's a shot early morning on a golf course near my home. Shot with Canon 5DMK11 with 24-105 Lens.
I like it! The dark trees silouhette against the clouds produces a very pleasing image. The two trees are also well framed/composed and give depth to your composition.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:22:35 am by francois »
Francois

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:58:25 am »

I like the contrast between the soft pastell colors and the more graphical elements in this image.
Well done!

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 01:33:57 am »

I studied this a while again with a cup of tea trying to sort why such a beautiful shot felt unsettled /just a bit unsettled somehow. Took out a view catcher and played with zooming in on those trees in such a way that they were able to grow up instead of leaning left...in wide open space like that it would seem they grew more upright...after zooming in and shifting entire image counter clockwise to straighten the trees, placed left tree near left edge which places the sun and similar sized strip of snow under it in lower right corner...it becomes a quite powerful composition that way and really does justice to your very nice capture...

Hope I explained it well enough that you can try it and maybe even grab a similar shot that way framed up in your viewfinder (oops...you said 5D11...so pop up the mirror and use live view and check it out) so that you don't have to lose the resolution to cropping to get it...would love to see one done that way...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:35:23 am by psheleyimages »
A common woman~

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:40:26 am »

My first thought echoed the first two comments, and then I read Psheley's reply, so I went back and had a look from that perspective.  It could maybe be rotated a little, given that the maple tree (back left) is leaning somewhat.  That could also be a prevailing wind coming from the right side.  The other three, the aspen in the foreground, looks like it's suffered from a shock to the main stem at some point and one of the lateral buds took over from there and began growing straighter.

Not having been there it's hard to say, but I still like the image as presented!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 04:01:56 am »

Very nice.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:44:56 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Not having been there it's hard to say, but I still like the image as presented!

Mike.
Mike...definitely the tree to the left of view has had it's trouble early on...but as a pair growing in the open as they are, the canopy tells the story of path of light in their lifetime, and the weight and structure developed around/beneath that path..if you were asked to determine the three cuts, two to the front and one lateral to the backs to fell the larger especially, a sense of where that weight developed is necessary for safe felling

All I am saying is the apparent rotation at point of capture is just subtle enough as opposed to intentional rotation that I couldn't quite let it "land on it's natural feet" No denying it is a very nice shot , was just illiciting the input from the photographer not having been there myself or able to go to that location. Small pliable trees show prevailing wind, old Divi trees ligament strengthened over their lifetime clearly show the canopy still developed to their light source in spite of the canopy being 45 degrees moved downwind of their base and root system.

There I go again being too darn analytical... Pat    (ps I did attempt to get rid of psheley images...it was a poor choice left over from my early years painting and as a neophyte to online communities I mistakenly believed the use of my own name was undesirable...I am Pat Sheley and hope to be able to share and discuss carefully questioned thoughts with other like minded individuals...none is meant negatively...just out of wonder and curiousity...Thanks, Pat Sheley
A common woman~

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 05:44:06 pm »

Hi Pat:  I appreciated your comments, and since Wendell added a second image to his original post, I believe he did too!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 03:32:42 am »

I've added a mea culpa at the bottom this morning,  as I hear ringing in my ears "Step away from the light table!" The original shot is the one that carries the life and vitality ...I'm shaking my head at how long it took me to get this...

Thanks Mike..

Wendell...you seem to have an interesting location there...hope you'll get a chance to work with it more while you still have snow and colliding fronts skies...think I saw another of yours somewhere in a similar or near location that would give you overlapping slopelines and trees with their skies... for sure what others see in ones own work can be informing, but I certainly admire the ability to allow and give room for a unique vision to grow in complexity and depth over time...for myself the questioning as to whether the wine in the bottle is worth aging sometimes leads to pleasant new perspectives, while at other times, not so much.

In the case of your pastoral and the questions it left in my mind, I know it will influence in some quietly subtle way my next times behind the viewfinder. And I must have liked yours or would just have "walked on by" instead of asking you about it. Glad you posted it. Pat

You know...after getting a few hours sleep, it hit me...the caption location is "The Summit". Don't know how I missed that...so I think Mike is closer to what is going on here...especially since you did bubble level the shot...I was dismayed to see the vitality drain out of your edited shot...taking 70 plus years of growing on the "Summit" and removing it with a perspective adj drained it's history. I stand corrected, mea culpa. I've stepped away from the light table, I promise...Pat S
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:02:14 am by psheleyimages »
A common woman~

wthomphoto

• http://
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 09:03:15 am »

Quote from: psheleyimages
I've added a mea culpa at the bottom this morning,  as I hear ringing in my ears "Step away from the light table!"

Thanks Mike..

Wendell...you seem to have an interesting location there...hope you'll get a chance to work with it more while you still have snow and colliding fronts skies...think I saw another of yours somewhere in a similar or near location that would give you overlapping slopelines and trees with their skies... for sure what others see in ones own work can be informing, but I certainly admire the ability to allow and give room for a unique vision to grow in complexity and depth over time...for myself the questioning as to whether the wine in the bottle is worth aging sometimes leads to pleasant new perspectives, while at other times, not so much.

In the case of your pastoral and the questions it left in my mind, I know it will influence in some quietly subtle way my next times behind the viewfinder. And I must have liked yours or would just have "walked on by" instead of asking you about it. Glad you posted it. Pat

You know...after getting a few hours sleep, it hit me...the caption location is "The Summit". Don't know how I missed that...so I think Mike is closer to what is going on here...especially since you did bubble level the shot...I was dismayed to see the vitality drain out of your edited shot...taking 70 plus years of growing on the "Summit" and removing it with a perspective adj drained it's history. I stand corrected, mea culpa. I've stepped away from the light table, I promise...Pat S
Looking at them both, I have to say I like the first uncropped one best. I just wanted to see what it would look like with the tree straightened up.
Thanks for the comments,
Wendell

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 10:36:07 am »

Looking at them both, I have to say I like the first uncropped one best. I just wanted to see what it would look like with the tree straightened up.
Thanks for the comments,
Wendell

wholeheartedly agree...P
A common woman~
Pages: [1]   Go Up