Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H4D-40 to be launched on Feb 10th  (Read 85980 times)

gwhitf

Hasselblad H4D-40 to be launched on Feb 10th
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 08:19:34 pm »

Quote from: pschefz
wow...that is THE worst insult to the ipad i have heard yet....and i have heard quite a few....that was WAY below the belt....

I guess this new Hasselblad H4 doesn't make phone calls either? What were they thinking...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxkuNZap_v4
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:22:45 pm by gwhitf »

vandevanterSH

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 10:44:47 pm »

Definitely underwhelming. Hasselblad did an "iPad"!
More like Geraldo Rivera and Al Capone's safe...

Steve

hsmeets

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 03:35:06 am »

Quote from: shutay
It was even the more disappointing because I was told that it was an exciting new product that will interest the high-end D-SLR users. To me that means people who'd be using a 1Ds Mk III or a D3X

In the Netherlands
a 1Ds + 24-70/2.8 is approx. EUR 5600,--
a D3x + 24-70/2.8 is approx. EUR 6200,--
a H4D-40 + HC 35-90mm is approx. 19000,--
(all excl. 19%VAT)

I'm not a pro who's earning his living with photography but can imagine that a H4D-40/50/60 would only come to mind to buy if I was in a market that demanded very very large prints with loads of detail and even more important: customers willing to pay accordingly.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:49:02 am by hsmeets »
Cheers,

Huib

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 03:42:25 am »

interesting for 8000 euro maximum ...

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 03:42:39 am »

Definitely underwhelming. Hasselblad did an "iPad"!

It was even the more disappointing because I was told that it was an exciting new product that will interest the high-end D-SLR users. To me that means people who'd be using a 1Ds Mk III or a D3X - but the price differential and ergonomics are sooooooo far apart, I can't see how it would be more exciting than the existing H3DII-31 already was to that crowd. Just a few more megapixels and the same high price isn't going to do it for them, as far as I can tell...

Hi Shutay,

The 40MP CCD is based on the Kodak TRUESENSE design which is shared by the 50MP model.  The TRUESENSE design is quite different to the existing sensors.  Users who have upgraded always report very favourable improvements on the 50... Color, tonality, noise.. the usual crowd!

The the 40MP gives you those benefits from the 50MP, plus the addition of microlenses for extra sensitivity (100 - 160).  It is a really nice combination.

Therefore it is quite different to the 31.

Best,

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

tho_mas

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 04:47:09 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
extra sensitivity (100 - 160)
so less than one stop.
That's indeed something special  

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 04:55:05 am »

Hi Shutay,

The 40MP CCD is based on the Kodak TRUESENSE design which is shared by the 50MP model.  The TRUESENSE design is quite different to the existing sensors.  Users who have upgraded always report very favourable improvements on the 50... Color, tonality, noise.. the usual crowd!

The the 40MP gives you those benefits from the 50MP, plus the addition of microlenses for extra sensitivity (100 - 160).  It is a really nice combination.

Best,

David
Thanks, David

...now what about he H4D-60... what technology does that use, and what does (and does it not) have in common with the Phase P65+?

Do micro lenses only work with "ordinary" lenses, or do they also work with lenses whose rear element is more than a foot (m/3) from the camera?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:47:03 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 06:48:08 am »

Hi Shutay,

Best,

David

I see. Looking forward to seeing what it can do then.

BTW, did you mean ISO 100 - 1600?

I will be waiting for Philip from Shriro to let me know when and where the local H4D-40 event will be taking place. And then right after probably look for good H3DII-31 deals...

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 08:42:00 am »

I see. Looking forward to seeing what it can do then.

BTW, did you mean ISO 100 - 1600?

I will be waiting for Philip from Shriro to let me know when and where the local H4D-40 event will be taking place. And then right after probably look for good H3DII-31 deals...

Yes, sorry - 100 - 1600
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

erick.boileau

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 09:04:07 am »

it will be a FF ?

SeanBK

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 09:05:09 am »

Yes, sorry - 100 - 1600

ISO 100-1600. That IS indeed very good as far as I am concerned. Thnx

hsmeets

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 09:17:43 am »

Quote from: erick.boileau
it will be a FF ?

David Grover of HB said it was based on a Kodak chip, good'ol'google dishes up the KAF-40000 on Kodak website.

Quickly looking at the spec's : 45.76mm x 35.34 mm so it is not near to 55mm wich would be more or less fullframe for 645/6x6

Cheers,

Huib

aaron

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 09:25:43 am »

Quote from: hsmeets
David Grover of HB said it was based on a Kodak chip, good'ol'google dishes up the KAF-40000 on Kodak website.

Quickly looking at the spec's : 45.76mm x 35.34 mm so it is not near to 55mm wich would be more or less fullframe for 645/6x6

Nope, Sensor dimensions: 33.1×44.2 mm

BobDavid

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 09:39:19 am »

In all fairness, the new H4D-40 sounds like a great camera. It's easy to knock something down if it doesn't match up to a dream, fantasy, or expectation -- ISO 1600, better focus capabilities, and  four minute exposure time -- it's an evoutionary camera.

BJL

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 09:41:28 am »

Quote from: hsmeets

Those specs are garbled; they seem to have mixed effective region with total sensor size. The stated pixel counts and pixel pitch of 6.0 microns give very close to 44x33mm, and that would given about 55mm diagonal, very close to the stated 54.78mm.

So it is close enough to 44x33mm, diagonal of 55mm, as for the previous generation 31MP Kodak sensor. (So not "FF", but larger, since as we have been told many times in forums, "FF" can only mean 36x24mm!)

And with micro-lenses like that 31MP sensor, giving QE of 38% (blue) to 44% (green), so about one stop faster than all the larger MF CCD sensors.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:44:21 am by BJL »

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2010, 10:09:16 am »

Quote from: BobDavid
In all fairness, the new H4D-40 sounds like a great camera. It's easy to knock something down if it doesn't match up to a dream, fantasy, or expectation -- ISO 1600, better focus capabilities, and  four minute exposure time -- it's an evoutionary camera.

I agree. I don't doubt it'll make fantastic pictures, I personally am still shooting with an Ixpress back afterall and I love the image quality. I've also rented the H3D when I needed something more than my Ixpress and liked the camera. Specs wise, it makes my Ixpress even more obsolete than it already is. I guess people's imagination was escalating in proportion to the suspense and anticipation, what with the countdown clock and all.

aaron

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, 10:11:22 am »

Quote from: BobDavid

It is evolutionary but they kind of promised something revolutionary, counting clocks...newborn baby...

gwhitf

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, 10:18:49 am »

Quote from: aaron
It is evolutionary but they kind of promised something revolutionary, counting clocks...newborn baby...

I agree. I would have loved to have seen a truly portable camera -- 22MP with fast-processing files; a vertical grip; a 3.5" LCD; and a great magnifying viewfinder.

If they blew their wad by using the whole Countdown thing with that camera, can we now all agree that the H body design is now in full maturity, and it's now peaked out? (And for me, it never quite hit the mark in terms of actual usability).

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2010, 12:06:42 pm »

FWIW, just found the specs published on the German Calumet site- my post here:
http://www.h2hreviews.com/blog/Hasselblad-...-published.html

Ted Dillard

aaanorton

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2010, 01:15:06 pm »

And now, from the people who brought you the world's first full frame MF DSLR (a feat of viewfinder-shrinkage engineering where no crop mask would do), another first: A countdown time to another countdown! Only this new countdown is shorter. And it doesn't have a timer. And they're going to tell you, basically, what the product is. Only not everything! They're keeping secret all of the details that any potential buyer would actually find useful. What fun!

This has to be the best bit of hucksterism since "This one goes to eleven". Which opens new doors for Hasselblad, really. Can't boost ISO levels to satisfy users? Why not just introduce a new and improved MFDSLR ISO scale? Slide all the values over by 3 stops and now the new 3200 has the same noise signature of the old 400 without adding unwanted DOF! Shoot at ISO 800 and get files just as pristine as you formerly had at 100!

Some users want live view, do they? No problem!
"Hasselblad today announces another first in the world, sure to revolutionize the way every human being thinks about photography (our 3rd this fiscal quarter!). Pro photographers want to see what their cameras see, as if looking through the eyes of their camera's eyes, through their own eyes. But really pro photographers don't have time to waste looking at all the bad frames of traditional "live view" systems. For this level of professional pro, we offer a solution: the all new Hasselblad PhineView ™. With PhineView ™, pro-pros can professionally select the precise frame or frames they wish to preview by simply pressing the PhineView ™ trigger on our all new PhineView ™-enabled H4D grip. This single action launches into action the entire PhineView ™ preview acquisition system, which displays on the LCD or tethered display a full resolution live view preview, a mere 2-5 seconds later! Want more PhinePhrames to compare? The PhineView ™ trigger allows one Phrame every 1.6 seconds to satisfy even the most demanding pro. Hasselblad PhineView: Stop wasting precious time watching frames that aren't any good and put the selection of the good frames back in the hands of a pro."

Of course if Hasselblad did actually try to rebadge single frame previewing as a true live view solution, they would put the PhineView trigger right next to the standard trigger and make it a slightly different shade of gray. This would confuse users as to which was which. And six months after release a firmware patch would be pushed out that reverses the function of each trigger for technical reasons, making it impossible for anyone anywhere to ever remember which trigger did what. The crucial firmware fix for switching them back would come out three months later with a build number "x." followed by an 11 digit alpha-numeric string where the 3rd digit replaces an "m" for an "n", the 4th an "8" for the previous "h" and the 7th "O" to a "0". Unless you have an odd serial-numbered body, in which case the "O" stays an "O". And you'll have to remember to check the software serial number, which is now different from the machine stamped one on the body for security concerns. Further, Hasselblad would see fit to make the PhineView previews their own proprietary file format which can not be exported as JPEG or TIFF and requires a Phocus update to even view on a computer. This update is currently languishing in Hasselblad internal testing with no official release date. But to appease disgruntled users, they would make public their intent to implement a new feature with the update. Upon launch of the new Phocus, a new window would open with a Hasselblad-built web browser (relying heavily on lots of Flash content), connecting the user to the Hasselblad Users' Club log-in (which can not be remembered for technical security reasons). This will be a modal window with no close or cancel buttons. But the new-new feature will be a keyboard shortcut for sending it to the background where it will continue to load and display random images for inspiration. This shortcut will be the obvious shift+command+control+• (which updates the previous, more confusing command+option+shift+|).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up