Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: and who was Andy?  (Read 1682 times)

mattpallante

and who was Andy?
« on: January 31, 2010, 06:15:19 pm »

Was working the (Chagrin.) river, trying to stay out of the poison ivy. As I made my way up the  river bank to get back to my car, I stumbled upon this memorial to Andy. I don't know the back story, but that's OK. I've made up my own. From last October. Matt[attachment=19891:andy.3878_lzn.jpg]

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
and who was Andy?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:00:49 pm »

Nice work... I'm sure Andy appreciates your efforts, wherever he is now.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
and who was Andy?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:39:39 am »

Matt, I agree with Mike. Neat shot. I've thought about spending some time in New Mexico doing a series on the roadside shrines along the winding back roads. Some of them are fascinating. Like this one:

[attachment=19903:Shrine.jpg]
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
and who was Andy?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:15:36 pm »

Roadside monuments are an interesting phenomena. Some are maintained over a long period of time and others are created and then let to fade to the past. They occur across the country (at least) and while it’s a well established custom, there is very little formal work to be found on the topic. It would be a good candidate for a book.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
and who was Andy?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 02:15:59 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Matt, I agree with Mike. Neat shot. I've thought about spending some time in New Mexico doing a series on the roadside shrines along the winding back roads. Some of them are fascinating. Like this one:

[attachment=19903:Shrine.jpg]
You obviously have rather more artistic shrine-makers in the US than we do. Over here, a "shrine" usually consists of a few bunches of dead flowers still in their cellophane wrapping.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
and who was Andy?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 04:02:32 pm »

Jeremy, There are plenty of those over here too, but the people in New Mexico seem to be unusually creative shrine makers. Lots of shrines too -- in between the "Don't drink and drive" signs. When you drive the New Mexican back roads you soon see why being a bit tipsy after dark could be hazardous to your health.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up