Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a tripod & head?  (Read 5339 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Suggestions for a tripod & head?
« on: January 30, 2010, 04:54:10 pm »

Use with my D80 + 300 mm lens.

I have an old 'pod that’s great for everything except evidently long exposures when the tripod is fully extended and using a long lens.

I looked and there are too many tripods on the market for me to make an informed decision.

Looking for something durable, transportable, with a bubble level or similar and able to extend 6’ + and stable in a mild breeze with the camera gear above.

TIA

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 10:42:01 pm »

How much $$$?  And if it isn't a lot read this ...

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

I have a feisol ct3401 w/fixed plate (I have the center column, too, but I tend to not use it.), acratech leveling base and kirk bh-3 head.  If I had to do it again I would try this head ...

http://www.birdsasart.com/giottos.htm

... cause the bh-3 is heavy.

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:00:43 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
http://www.birdsasart.com/giottos.htm

... cause the bh-3 is heavy.
I have a very similar model Giotto (1301) ... I love it ... but I did replace the clamp with a Really Right Stuff quick release.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 10:12:25 am »

Thanks for the feedback & the links. The first article was illuminating and I was looking at the Gitzo line yesterday.

The 2nd article was a door opener to the realm of possibilities for head units.

From the first article, the following paragraph seems to the be the core guideline:

“The old rule of thumb was that your tripod/head needed to be 1.5x (or more) the weight of what was on top of it. These days, new materials and designs let you get down to about 1x--assuming that have a disciplined technique--but beyond that you're just asking for problems, especially with long lenses or slow shutter speeds.”

I currently have one of the ~$100 pods. In contrast to the thrust of the article, it works fine for all but long exposures with a long lens. In contrast to the comments in the article about legs getting bent, mine has spent almost 8 years dangling under my packs, tossed into car trunks or floors, or strapped to my bike, exposed to rain, snow, road rash and occasional gravel, and, and dropped more times than I can recall (the pod that is; not the bike). It still works fine. It’s even fine for long exposures at night with my longest lens – as long as the tripod is not fully extended.

My thought is to get another ‘pod dedicated for night time panos.

From the article I've learned to stay away from a single screw adjustment. For panos this kind of head is a disaster in the making.

Russ recently made a very good suggestion of adding weight to the pod, to help stabilize it. I always have a pack with me and it would be a trivial effort to tie the pack to the pod (and not leave the pack swinging in the breeze).

While I realize you get what you pay for, I have 0 interest in equipment as bling, so suitability to a particular task (night time panos) is all i'm interested in. Carbon fiber, titanium and so on are irrelevant, unless a compelling case can be made for their use.

Given all of this, and in addition to the suggestions above, what are some good candidates?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:14:16 am by Justan »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:30:22 am »

I don't know.  I'm only interested in bling.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 02:06:52 pm »

I meant no offense to your (or anyone’s) equipment suggestions, but can see how the comment could have been taken that way.

Were I to write that again I would say that in my research yesterday, I found that some of these pods are manufactured deeply into the realm of exotic materials in the name of weight savings. And some go over the top (a.k.a. “bling”) in that regard. The items referenced above are not amongst that group.

Also, I read an article recently by the site’s administrator and benefactor that made a compelling case for the use of a SOTA pod and head combination. If I did that kind of work professionally, I’d get the best tool for the job. Tools are all about suitability to a particular task because they can make or break the results.

In my case, and for the reason of suitability to a particular task, light weight isn’t a paramount concern nor it appears a good idea for the intended purpose. This will be a dedicated purpose pod, so I'm resigning myself to something heaver. The author of the article cited more than hints at weight as one of the key issues in favor of stability. As such I've sadly sent notice to my aging back that I’ll be using a bigger pack to facilitate carrying a heavier pod, whatever it shall turn out to be.

I do like the head unit. It’s different than what I'm used to and my thoughts are about how to secure it & the pod to my various packs.

Thanks for the feedback!

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 03:26:28 pm »

Go to bhphoto.com.  Find the tripods and select tripod legs.  On the left side of the page is a tool that lets you narrow the results.  I would select Manfrotto, Giottos, and Gitzo.  (Just to reduce how many you look at.  There are other decent brands.)  Set the height high and the load high.  That should give you a nice set of tripods. They should all be quality products.

If you can find one without a center column that helps.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 05:59:15 pm »

Thanks for the reference.

What are the features offered by the pano heads? How do they differ from other offerings?

Here’s the first reference to one I came across

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 06:34:37 pm »

Quote from: Justan
What are the features offered by the pano heads? How do they differ from other offerings?
http://reallyrightstuff.com/pano/index.html

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 01:49:05 pm »

^^ Thanks for the reference. Of the too few bits of information on panos I've been able to find, the topics at the web site adds ever so slightly.

But, but! When is this kind of head beneficial? One of the sentences hints that it’s most useful for close up work?

I've done about a dozen panos now and haven’t seen a notable issue beyond the slight movement my current tripod imparts.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 01:59:07 pm »

Quote from: Justan
^^ Thanks for the reference. Of the too few bits of information on panos I've been able to find, the topics at the web site adds ever so slightly.

But, but! When is this kind of head beneficial? One of the sentences hints that it's most useful for close up work?

I've done about a dozen panos now and haven't seen a notable issue beyond the slight movement my current tripod imparts.

The closer something is the more it will shift as you rotate the camera.  So if you have something in the foreground you want to rotate the camera around the nodal point to keep this from happening.  If you do not compose your panos with foreground elements you can get away hand holding.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 02:01:02 pm »

You might want to start a new topic with "pano head" as the subject.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:02:40 pm by DarkPenguin »

DaveL

• http://
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 10:35:48 am »

Great links here. Thanks.  I chose my last tripod poorly and seldom use it.  My thought now, a good tripod and head is an investment. I wore out the tripod before that. It was cheap; a Star D/tiltall clone.
Regards,
DaveL
Pages: [1]   Go Up