Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need you advice before make an investment  (Read 1320 times)

galupi20

Need you advice before make an investment
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:30:32 pm »

Need your advice please. This image was taken with Sinar x/180 Sinaron DB/Sinar 54M DB. Nik Silver Efex Pro was used to convert to B&W. Just three questions :

1) Do I expect to have the same range of tones printing it with an Epson Pro inkjet printer or sending it to Digital Silver Imaging ? Just to have an idea, I dont think I will print this image in particular.

2) Will I have better results taking the pic in B&W, scan it with a good scanner ( i.e. Imacon ) and then print whith either of the above mention alternatives ?

3) Do I need to buy "Digital " large format lenses to obtain better quality with this gear ? I have Sinaron 240mm DB, Super Symmar 210 and Sinaron 90 6.8

Why am I asking this ? Because is too expensive for me to buy a Tech camera to use with my 54M. I have Ebony 45SU and Sinar x and if the quality of the prints are good I can use wide angle lenses without the crop factor of the sensor  and dont need to invest in more expensive lenses.

I am not a pro , only an entusiast amateur and I will not have to sell my prints.

Thanks a lot

Luis

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 12:04:16 pm »

I think only you can decide whether you are happy with the results?

How large are you looking to print?  Make a sample image at that size, then send out for an ink jet print from a lab to test.  If you can't afford a large print, like 16x20, crop and have an 8x10 made of a portion of the image.  

You can always adjust the dynamic range of the scence in the studio and on the computer to match the capability of your output device, ink jet or digital silver.

If money is an issue, and the work is personal, my basic approach is to find thngs that please **me** using the tools at hand - 4x5 Polaroid, or Holga snaps, they each lead in a different - but equally pleasing - direction.

Have Fun! Test and find what you like.

Michael

Bill Lawrence

• http://
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:36:57 pm »

Hi Luis,

Another vote for trying some prints and see what you like.  A number of printing services are using the Epson printers - find one that is using the series printer you are interested in and try a print there.  Do you already own the digital back?  If so, try it with the lenses you have and see how you like the results printed.  In just playing around a bit when I was first looking at the MFDBs, I could easily tell the difference between a Rodenstock 65mm non-digital view camera lens and an 80mm Hasselblad at 100%, but for smaller prints I doubt it would make a huge difference.  Given the investment in the back and the lenses, a few test prints are cheap!

Cheers!
Bill
Bill Lawrence
Photography: www.lawrences
Pages: [1]   Go Up