Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MX sensor (RED) first full res stills  (Read 3380 times)

Driftforge

MX sensor (RED) first full res stills
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:14:29 pm »

I noted the comment in Michael's post on the iPad that there hadn't been any output to look at from the new RED cameras.  

RED has just started updating its RED1 cameras with the sensor that will be going in the S35 versions of the EPIC and SCARLET cameras.  There have been a couple of short clips done with these as demos to existing users of what the upgrade will provide for them; stills taken from these clips can be found at the site linked below.  

The only warning I'll give is that the images have been intentionally left with black not quite pushed to zero, to demonstrate to those involved the level of noise inherent in the chip.

The 4K (~8MB) stills

http://www.lightirondigital.com/LightIRON_...X_4K_STLLS.html

For the clip itself...

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40354

fredjeang

MX sensor (RED) first full res stills
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 04:59:18 am »

Quote from: Driftforge
I noted the comment in Michael's post on the iPad that there hadn't been any output to look at from the new RED cameras.  

RED has just started updating its RED1 cameras with the sensor that will be going in the S35 versions of the EPIC and SCARLET cameras.  There have been a couple of short clips done with these as demos to existing users of what the upgrade will provide for them; stills taken from these clips can be found at the site linked below.  

The only warning I'll give is that the images have been intentionally left with black not quite pushed to zero, to demonstrate to those involved the level of noise inherent in the chip.

The 4K (~8MB) stills

http://www.lightirondigital.com/LightIRON_...X_4K_STLLS.html

For the clip itself...

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40354

Hi,
So far, I'm not impressed by the stills but it will surely improve. I think it is just the beginning of a revolution that might be equivalent to what printing has been in the rennaissance. There is a change in semantic communication. I think the photographer, likes it or not, is going to have the needs of combocams and it is time to start to get use of inevitably "convergence".
(by the way, I do not know if the concepts of "convergence" and "combocam" have been created here by Michael, and became reference words, or did those concepts existed before?)
I see 2 scenarios: 1) Red might challenge the traditional photo industry and this last one will answer, 2) or the last one will not answer quickly enough...
Michael post is sharp clear and I agree 100% : "But those days are numbered, because if companies don't start thinking and building new cameras creatively, and quickly, others will eat their lunch. I'm thinking of Panasonic, and RED in particular".

I've been using recently DSLR for film and it is a real pain in operation. (feeling of D.I.Y really). The reason is, according to me, that camera makers are still thinking with film age concepts and design. This is a very big mistake. Digital has opened doors to a treasure that only the most creatives and visionaries manufacturers will share.  
Look at car industry: you might not have the latest in design, but all companies show their concept cars, we can see their plans to what will be the future. In photographic industry, do you see such a transparency. Who is able to tell what Canon is planing for the next ten years? This "instable" feeling (sorry for my English) is not tolerable for a long time, people will turned towards companies that provide clear transparency and are fully involved into the "new" communication languages. It might soon be the end of condescendence and marketing power of the big ones, and I will not be surprised if we even see Home-made cameras that will be successful. New brands.

And maybe, the concept of image quality in the traditional way may change. Eye's education is not the same and perception is changing.
Red is on the way to provide stills needs but with usability and flexibility that simply don't exist today in traditional camera manufacturers.

Fred

Pages: [1]   Go Up