Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DS MKIII sensor cleaning  (Read 1942 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
1DS MKIII sensor cleaning
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:00:52 pm »

I red something a long time ago about the filter on the "new" cameras being sensitive to the cleaning solution a lot of us used in the past. I use Eclipse. I'm sorry I can't be more specific since it was so long ago.

My question is thus what do I need to know about wet cleaning the 1DSMKIII's sensor? I've never cleaned it, and so far it's still clean. the only thing I've done is open the mirror a d blow it off using a rocket blower, and of course letting the sensor cleaner do its thing regularly.

Thanks a lot.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 07:34:06 pm »

Quote from: dwdallam
I red something a long time ago about the filter on the "new" cameras being sensitive to the cleaning solution a lot of us used in the past. I use Eclipse. I'm sorry I can't be more specific since it was so long ago.

My question is thus what do I need to know about wet cleaning the 1DSMKIII's sensor?

I'm not sure if Eclipse is harmful, although a less hardened coating might be in use to reduce sticky dust. One thing is for sure, the IR filter is extremely thin compared to earlier full frame 24x36mm models (before the dust shaking was implemented) to reduce mass, and the relatively large surface will make it flex and break with only moderate pressure! I know of several people who broke theirs during wet cleaning. The whole sensor assembly will need to be replaced, and it will be expensive. So if you have to use anything else than a brush, don't apply pressure! This may be the first camera I will send in for cleaning when it gets dirty ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:14:27 pm »

Quote from: BartvanderWolf
I'm not sure if Eclipse is harmful, although a less hardened coating might be in use to reduce sticky dust. One thing is for sure, the IR filter is extremely thin compared to earlier full frame 24x36mm models (before the dust shaking was implemented) to reduce mass, and the relatively large surface will make it flex and break with only moderate pressure! I know of several people who broke theirs during wet cleaning. The whole sensor assembly will need to be replaced, and it will be expensive. So if you have to use anything else than a brush, don't apply pressure! This may be the first camera I will send in for cleaning when it gets dirty ...

Cheers,
Bart

I'm glad I asked. Thanks.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:40:40 pm »

Quote from: dwdallam
I'm glad I asked. Thanks.

I have been using an Arctic Butterfly with excellent results on the 1DS MK3.

Maybee use that before a wet clean as chances are unless the dust is really welded on there the butterfly will get it off.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

pcunite

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:00:09 pm »

Bart is correct. The repair bill will run $2k. Be careful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up