Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mars Banned  (Read 20458 times)

michael

Mars Banned
« on: January 29, 2010, 06:48:35 pm »

Mr. Warren Mars has been banned from this site.

Earlier today he posted an insulting message, targeting me and other members of this forum, because a topic which he had started had been closed. His obnoxious post has been deleted.

There's no room on forum site for rudeness.

Michael
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 06:50:44 pm by michael »

Roger Calixto

Mars Banned
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 07:13:48 pm »

Thank you. I enjoy this forum a lot, even if I can't contribute with much worthwhile information. Banning obnoxious users keep things pleasant.

{}
Roger
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

framah

Mars Banned
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:46:04 am »

Whew!! For a minute there, I thought they voted to ban the planet Mars
I mean, there it was last night all up in the moons face so I naturally thought there had been a fight.  

That was Mars next to the full moon, wasn't it??
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Peter McLennan

Mars Banned
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:39:36 am »

Quote from: framah
That was Mars next to the full moon, wasn't it??

It was indeed. You can clearly see the red tint that identifies it as Mars.  

The Moonrise last night was stunning. Last night's full Moon was the biggest (+14%) and brightest (+30%) full Moon of 2010

I didn't shoot it since my longest lens is a 200, but the view through my binoculars was incredible.

I use www.spaceweather.com to check up on what's up, up there.  : )

framah

Mars Banned
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 11:50:15 am »

Yeah, that moon was amazing last night even tho it was only about 5 degrees out. At least the winds had died down by then and it was  the typical crisp, clean cold night with a full moon to light up the landscape. Gotta love it!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

bjanes

Mars Banned
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 12:12:46 pm »

Quote from: michael
Mr. Warren Mars has been banned from this site.

Earlier today he posted an insulting message, targeting me and other members of this forum, because a topic which he had started had been closed. His obnoxious post has been deleted.

There's no room on forum site for rudeness.

Michael

Ad hominem attacks are certainly inappropriate on the forum and are used by those who can not put forth a logical argument. Unfortunately, Mr. Mars is not the only one on these forums resorting to such methods.      

Bill

DarkPenguin

Mars Banned
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 12:42:53 pm »

Quote from: bjanes
Ad hominem attacks are certainly inappropriate on the forum and are used by those who can not put forth a logical argument. Unfortunately, Mr. Mars is not the only one on these forums resorting to such methods.        

Bill

Did you see Mr. Mars' last post?  (And, yeah, you're right.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:43:11 pm by DarkPenguin »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Mars Banned
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 02:01:18 pm »

In all fairness, Venus should also be banned (Oops! There's no member named Venus.) 
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

DarkPenguin

Mars Banned
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 02:27:13 pm »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
In all fairness, Venus should also be banned (Oops! There's no member named Venus.)  

And just like that I have a Bananarama song going through my head.  Thanks.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Mars Banned
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 02:31:10 pm »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
There's no member named Venus.
The potential for double entendres is almost infinite!

Jeremy

Rob C

Mars Banned
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 04:55:25 am »

Quote from: kikashi
The potential for double entendres is almost infinite!

Jeremy

There you go, undermining your own argument by slipping in a conditional; courage of conviction!

I wonder if tennis players read this site? Oh, of course not, they have been flung asunder...

Awake! for morning in the Bowl of Night
Has flung the Stone that puts the Stars to Flight:
And Lo! the Hunter of the East has caught
The Sultan's Turret in a Noose of Light.

Omar Khayyám

Ain't a heap that's new...

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

Mars Banned
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 08:51:55 am »

I think we all owe Mr. Mars (and Ms. Venus? and Mr. Khayyám?) a vote of thanks for the intemperate remarks that made possible this rather silly but somewhat amusing thread.   

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Brad Proctor

Mars Banned
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 11:39:14 am »

For those that might not be aware, He original posted a link to KR's website with the text "Ken Rockwell is Right".  This helps KR in the search engines and since Google reads the text and associates it with the link, Google might actually start thinking that he IS right!  

So in this situation, please don't quote the original post since this adds yet another link for Google to crawl with the offending text.
Brad Proctor

michael

Mars Banned
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 12:09:45 pm »

Remember – a clock is right twice a day.

Michael

Peter McLennan

Mars Banned
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 12:16:48 pm »

a "stopped" clock    

michael

Mars Banned
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 01:08:51 pm »

I hadn't had my second coffee yet. Indeed – a stopped clock.

Michael

framah

Mars Banned
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 01:35:32 pm »

Michael... thanks for not banning me for frankenthreading your post. I just couldn't help myself!!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Mars Banned
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 04:05:18 am »

Quote from: Rob C
There you go, undermining your own argument by slipping in a conditional; courage of conviction!
I'm simply too busy to verify that there is an infinite number of double entendres.

Jeremy

Rob C

Mars Banned
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 04:33:09 am »

Quote from: kikashi
I'm simply too busy to verify that there is an infinite number of double entendres.

Jeremy

Damn, Jeremy; now, on top of everything else, I feel envious!

Rob C

cgf

• http://
Mars Banned
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 07:48:56 am »

I will step in here and point out this is a pathetic response from "michael".

Don't caste me aside as a non-poster immediately, I may not write often but I have been reading daily for years, and over that time have bought several DVD's as well as downloads. Let's keep things objective therefore.

This site has changed, period. Anyone arguing otherwise is blind.

MR's photography has always been rather average but the travel stories and various reviews have been interesting enough that I've spent my money on the various products offered (a few at least). Let's be honest, in the past year or so the quality and quantity of updates have been disappointing.

Quality? MR forgets what he's already written. Eg arca cube. Or plain memory loss. MR promises many articles "will be here online next week" or "soon" and nothing eventuates. I cannot be the only one to notice?

Let's call it how it is. Since the opening of the economic money-pit (oops I mean the LL gallery) the entire site has changed. As MR admitted in the gallery/economics/finance article (video?) there is no way for that to pay, short of 'other usage' and that means shooting space for training videos, or space for workshop-type events. Hence the recent push towards constant training dvd's and the recent trip to shoot even more. Where are the travel workshops? The trips? All gone, thanks, and now a much MUCH more boring site.

And let's not talk about the response to MR workshops. Days/weeks of reminders about how there's still space available, whereas those run by other noteworthy types (workshops being promoted/sold through LL) are sold out quickly. Geeze man,. take a hint. Ahem!

I really think the whole gallery thing is a major strategic blunder as you took your most unique selling proposition, that put you in the place where people like me were forking out $$ for your dvd's (or downloads) and you replaced this with 'training dvd' offers for software. Hmm real unique and original. You may have replaced us LL Journal devotees with training dvd downloaders but in the long term we would have kept buying each and every new edition whereas you will soon run dry on those needing a lightroom instruction tape. LR 3 is here? How long to 4? Silly silly silly. Food for though, ignore me now, remember me when sales drop. Seriously. This could be the best business-model wake-up you get.

And why? Rich, retired, no need to work, and you take on a huge cost to satisfy your ego. Good for you. And the site suffered (and suffers) because of it. A stupid decision.

Sure some will say "I miss the old LL journal" but here it is hard, clear, and in the flesh. You ruined a good idea. I am brave enough to say so. The rest are pathetic for not saying so.

Yes go for it, defenders of MR jump to the rescue but I am gone, and my $$$, and more than a few are nodding in agreement with me even as you are rushing to throw praise upon the god-li-ness of MR. Now that this is a commercial-sales-dependant-site (don't kid yourselves that it's not) this is important.

As for the recent Leica letter re the M9 you really think you have any business acumen? How on earth did you ever get patents etc (presumably the source of your wealth)? To have such patents, and experience with a listed company and an IPO, suggests some real corporate experience. Based on your recent proposals however I conclude that you were a technical type riding on the coat-tails of others. Good for you, you still made the money, but it doesn't make you a business guru. To suggest Leica should walk away from the sole thing that differentiates it's products, and therefore protects the high MSRP of its products, and suggest "hey take on Panasonic/Other Japanese Giants making a 'me-too' EVF camera"...  you must have rocks in your head.

Actually, I think you pulled a Ken Rockwell and deliberately wrote a bunch of BS just to get your site ratings up.

You should be applauded for your original website idea/plan regarding photographic instruction. I learnt a lot, and it's a great resource. You have gained many thousands of readers as a result of that good model. No doubt, however, those who have not read this far are already tearing strips off me for my horrible criticism, no problem for me they can go for it. Like I care what forum threads say about me. But you have thrown it (the concept) away and I can't understand why. Surely you realise whilst you have earnt your living from photography you're not all that good at it? Your photos v others from the Amazon trip were embarrassing for you, to say the least. But there are enough MR sychophants to make you feel good about every front page image you post I guess(some of us nearly dry-retch at those posts). \

And let's not talk about the embarassing "uber-camera" which you spent enough to buy a car or something on, then used once and announced (quietly) how you had realised the hasselblad MF digital thing was "more suited" (or close to that)... ahem... what a way to demonstrate the rich-wanker syndrome. I have done the same, not on so quite a public level however!!!

To summarise you have killed off a great idea (your original website premise) and changed it into self-promoting nonsense.

Now the flames can begin, I don't really care I will not visit here again. You can dispatch me as a fool, or a nut, or whatever, but in the back of your mind you will remember (and your records can verify) that your original idea had me opening my wallet to buy your products, and yet here we are, after some development of your site/vision I will never return nor buy your products again. I am up-front enough to tell you what I think, and you surely realise if there's me there's more than one and we speak with our spending habits.

Despite everything I've expressed here I wish you well in your various endeavours, my personal and business opinion is that you've made some serious mistakes, and should I be proven wrong then so be it.

Cheers...
Chris.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:52:28 am by cgf »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up