Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beating Lens Fungus  (Read 3014 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Beating Lens Fungus
« on: January 29, 2010, 04:16:05 pm »

If your mind is attuned t

DarkPenguin

Beating Lens Fungus
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 12:49:37 pm »

That is a pretty cool idea.  How often does the suitcase burn?

wildstork

• Lawrence Beck Photography
Beating Lens Fungus
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 01:05:35 pm »

Seems like a potentially dangerous "accident waiting to happen" in more than one way.  
Mathias states: "Don’t use fluorescent lights. They don’t give off the heat required to stop the fungus."  Fluorescent lights rich in UVC (not A or  are precisely the short wavelengths that kill fungus, not incandescent.  The incandescent light provides enough heat to cause a potential fire hazard and certainly enough heat to cause lubricants in the lens/camera to migrate to places where they are no longer doing their job.  Fluorescent light won't generate the heat that causes this problem.  Silica gel should be used in conjunction with UVC fluorescent lights as the gel will absorb moisture that might result due to the lower heat output of the fluorescent light.  The gel can be used over and over by placing in an oven at low temp for an hour.  The combination of silica gel and UVC light won't compromise the lubricants in your lenses and cameras.

Quote from: wolfnowl
http://dpexperience.com/2010/01/29/beating-lens-fungus/

in case anyone's interested...

Mike.

NoahJackson

Beating Lens Fungus
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 04:30:45 am »

I use Pelican 5150 cases and large amounts of rechargeable silica gel. I have not had any issues for four years on long term living assignments in the tropics in very wet environments. With that said, my 100-400 f4/5.6L lens is about to go in for it's very first cleaning. It's probably more an issue with a design of the lens and extreme environments rather than my fungus-beating strategy.

Noah
Pages: [1]   Go Up