Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: web galleries  (Read 7846 times)

Jeremy Payne

web galleries
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 09:47:08 am »

Quote from: RSL
Jeremy, Same problem this morning. Like Chuck I'm using Firefox 3.5.7, but I tried it with IE 7 too. No difference. The stuff eventually gets there, but it's incredibly slow. Now, when I go to the people page I quickly get the thumbs, but that's because I left the thing up for an hour or so yesterday and the thumbs are now in the cache. I just timed loading one of the fullscale pictures after clicking a thumb: 29 seconds. I've never seen anything like this before, and I don't know what to try next. Like the pictures though, especially the two little girls hugging. But I do agree with Kikashi's comments.

Edit: A bit more info. I tried going directly to your web, www.jeremypayne.net. No problem. I'm there instantly. I also can run a successful tracert on that site. But when I click on JSP's Place everything hangs -- just like with the new site. ?????
Interesting ... there is some crazy DNS behind the scenes, but if that wasn't working you just wouldn't find the host ... I dunno ... it is weird ... people in London and even farther away get it blazingly fast, but I went to a friend's office here in town yesterday to try it out from there and it behaved exactly as you are describing ... incredibly slow downloading - often not completing.  Then I went to another office down the block and it loaded almost fast as it does when I run it locally.

www.jeremypayne.net points to a blog on blogger, but photography.jeremypayne.net url hops to a dynamic ip that has a dynamic name service.  I wonder if that is the issue - it could be somehow, I just don't see what it would be ... I'm gonna talk to a couple engineers and get some technical opinions.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
web galleries
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 10:24:25 am »

Jeremy, That's probably the best solution. I was a software guy for 30 years, but I was no wizard on hardware. Let me know if anyone comes up with an answer, or even a guess.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

fredjeang

web galleries
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 05:32:08 am »

Hi Jeremy,

I wanted to add this post from my experienced as I've been web designer for many years.
Your site is not slow in my computer, but not fast either at the beginning.

The use of Flash for galleries is sometimes problematic (and I'm a Flash Fan!):
The latest versions that actually use action-script 3 are made for a proper integration with Frame work engines.
I've noticed that when used with XML files, these are much slower under certain conditions. I came to the conclusion that using Flash for
a personal or small company website is better and cleaner in AS2. That might be a point.

There is also a redirection.

But your site is not slow, I actually found it faster in Google chrome and Moz that in I.E and at the end it was a pleasure
to use.
Also, the use of Flash is a very good option for displaying images, because of the algorithms and no browser compatbility hassles.

I liked it a lot.

Fred.

DarkPenguin

web galleries
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 10:43:32 am »

Still unusably slow.

Jeremy Payne

web galleries
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 11:20:45 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Still unusably slow.
Yes ... unfortunately, it seems that there are some folks - a minority, fortunately - who can't get a good route to my host no matter what.  Both you and Russ seem to fall into that category.

I spent a lot of time looking into this yesterday, and the bottom line is that I'm gonna have to change hosting solutions to fix the issue.

Jeremy Payne

web galleries
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 11:27:52 am »

Quote from: fredjeang
Hi Jeremy,

I wanted to add this post from my experienced as I've been web designer for many years.
Your site is not slow in my computer, but not fast either at the beginning.

The use of Flash for galleries is sometimes problematic (and I'm a Flash Fan!):
The latest versions that actually use action-script 3 are made for a proper integration with Frame work engines.
I've noticed that when used with XML files, these are much slower under certain conditions. I came to the conclusion that using Flash for
a personal or small company website is better and cleaner in AS2. That might be a point.
Yes - I think you are right.  The XML "style-sheets" do seem to load slower than a fully compiled .swf in IE ... Firefox and Chrome seem to do better with that.  It also seems to load fastest on Windows machines ... almost 50% of my visitors were on Mac OS so far and that seems significantly slower to load the galleries.

There is also a redirection.
Yes there is ... and as I speculated in a previous post, I think the messy DNS routing is the real problem.  There's two domains involved and some dynamic mapping ... that ultimately has to be the root of the problem.

But your site is not slow, I actually found it faster in Google chrome and Moz that in I.E and at the end it was a pleasure
to use.
Also, the use of Flash is a very good option for displaying images, because of the algorithms and no browser compatbility hassles.

I liked it a lot.

Fred.
Thank you!   I appreciate your feedback!

DarkPenguin

web galleries
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 11:34:00 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
Yes ... unfortunately, it seems that there are some folks - a minority, fortunately - who can't get a good route to my host no matter what.  Both you and Russ seem to fall into that category.

I spent a lot of time looking into this yesterday, and the bottom line is that I'm gonna have to change hosting solutions to fix the issue.
I'm waiting for a router somewhere to get rebooted.

Jeremy Payne

web galleries
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 12:09:31 pm »

I'm waiting for a router somewhere to get rebooted.
... that or two random ISP's to conclude a peering agreement at some colo in New Jersey ...

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
web galleries
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 02:07:46 pm »

Still unusably slow.
Hey Dark,

Your problem may be that all internet traffic to Minnesota gets routed through Norwegian Bachelor Farmers, who, as we all know, are notoriously taciturn and slow to pass along information.   

Here in Massachusetts I have no problem, even though I'm descended from Norwegian farmers ('though not, AFAIK, bachelor).

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris_T

web galleries
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 02:39:21 pm »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
I hope our resident Website Maven Chris_T will take a look at it.

Definitely not a maven. In fact, I'm not even Jewish  

From my WinXP, IE7 and 21" CRT full screen. After taking a quick look at the site, I found myself dropping down the same old comments I had made repeatedly, such as:

- I consider a splash page is a waste. (And this one has TWO!) The b/w image led me to expect a site about b/w.

- The gallery page's header looks drastically different from the other pages', creating an inconsistent look. The global navigation menu at the bottom disappears. The lone back button brings you back to the splash page, oh no! (I suspect all these are caused by using a gallery template.)

- The vertical thumbnail scroll is a reasonable solution for a large number of thumbnails. But when not all the thumbnails are loaded, sliding the scroll bar all the way down would create blanks without any indication that loading is still going on.

- The thumbnail scroll would work much better if the thumbnail of the current enlargement is in the middle of the group, allowing a viewer to see a few previous ones and a few to follow.

- The enlargement scales as the window size changes, while the thumbnail column size remains unchanged. This work quite well, until the window size gets somewhat small.

- What's the difference between View Slide Show and Play Slides?

- The images can use some captions and titles.

- There are too much white borders around the enlargement.

- The About page has minimal info.

Many such comments are covered in great detail in a wonderful book I recently read. The authors generously publish it in its entirety online here:
http://webstyleguide.com/wsg3/index.html

Also, I will start a new topic making a few suggestions to both the site review requesters and critics.

BTW, following my own suggestions have created many new but better_now_than_later challenges for my own site design.

Jeremy Payne

web galleries
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 04:04:50 pm »

Chris - thank you for the excellent feedback.  Much of it I could give myself as someone who has designed and managed the development of web applications for front office financial services professionals ... and I'm usually a pretty good designer ... but I've never 'built' anything like this before ... it was fun and I look forward to figuring out how to address nearly everything you brought up ASAP.  I spent so much time working on the images, and then rushed through the website build.  I had a simple design that would have worked better ... but a lot of the issues, as you suspected, cropped up due to the decision to use default Lightroom flash galleries.  They are so convenient, but they make navigation challenging as they only provide one hyperlink.  I think I figured out how to change the fonts around, but I haven't figured out how to decompile the flash so I can add some navigation links ... I thought Flash CS4 would be able to do that, but I guess it doesn't ... but I think I may build my own flash galleries instead.  I am enjoying playing with Flash.

I don't agree 100% about the splash page - but I'll make it work in the next version in a fashion that doesn't compromise navigation.  I completely agree that the two splash pages are a kluge and a half.  

The comment about expecting a site about B&W was the most unexpected, but insightful ... my original design called for a looped slideshow in that slot and I may go back to that ...

The about page will be written by my wife who has a background in PR and marketing.  She's working on it ... and she's so much better at that stuff than me.  That was the best I could do without sounding like Bob Dole talking in the 3rd person about himself. Lame, but true ... I'm just the artist ... she's the agent ...

Thanks again - I've gotten some great feedback ... I miss my old design and engineering teams, but you guys will do in a pinch.    

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up