Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad Flexbody with a Digital Back for Landscape?  (Read 10563 times)

kuau

Hasselblad Flexbody with a Digital Back for Landscape?
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:44 pm »

How well would this work?
Anyone have this setup I was thinking about using a Phase One P25+
I am not sure which lenses would give me a big enough image circle  so If I want to do some shifts it won't clip

My thinking is the following.
I currently shoot with a D3x which I really like but... My setup time on the D3x, and getting everything perfect is quite slow and I figure why not just shoot MF
I'm always using a tripod anyways and doing manual focus using live view with a hoodman loupe

Thanks
Steven

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:39:11 pm »

If I remember correctly, the Flexbody will give you rise, but no fall, or side-ways shifts. The lack of fall could be a problem in some cases. Also, AFAIK it is not possible to attach a sliding back to the Flexbody, so that means that to shoot, you will have to setup initially with the ground glass, compose, and get the shot ready, then remove the ground glass, put it away safely, then attach the P25+, connect the sync cable, fire first time to wake up the back, then fire again to take the shot. Presumably the a Kapture Group one shot cable will solve this. Then for the next shot, remove the P25+, keep it safely in the bag, then mount the ground glass again for the next shot. Not very convenient and you are liable to drop the P25+ one day... Scary.

There was a forum member on LL who had done a custom modification on a Flexbody to add additional movements to the Flexbody including swings, and was willing to do the modification for whoever was willing to pay for it:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=31227
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:44:08 pm by shutay »

AndrewDyer

• http://www.andrewdyer.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:39:29 am »

Quote from: shutay
If I remember correctly, the Flexbody will give you rise, but no fall,

I think there is rise and fall, but no sideways shift at the same time... unless you put the Flexbody on its side and then the rise or fall turns into a side shift only.
There is some bellows extension, but you probably wont want that for landscape anyhow.
As far as the Phase digital back, Shutay is correct in saying you will need to buy a wake-up cable, but if you are using a Leaf back such as an Aptus 22 (sort of an equivalent to a Phase P25) you wont need this cable as the back is "always on".
But you will still need to compose your shot on the ground glass first - and then put the back on which will expose it more to dust, or shoot an image and check it on the backs display... (not always the best and fastest way to confirm sharpness)
I dont know how MF will be quicker for you than a D3x... Still... it is a nice little camera that I enjoyed having briefly.
Andrew
 ht

nad54

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 03:19:41 am »

Hi

I used a flexbody with a P25 for a little while. If you are a V system user it is a great way of obtaining increased DOF by tilt. THe advantage of using a Phase back is they mount in 2 directions. I just sold my Flexbody for £700 in the UK. They do come up second hand and are not expensive.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 04:09:21 am »

It baffles me that shooting with a D3x is slow?
Please do yourself a favour and find out how much slower the Flexbody will be.
And I doubt wether a P25 will be any better than a D3x file,maybe at base ISO.

I know what I would prefer(however I'm bias)
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 10:59:57 am »

Quote from: rethmeier

Those of us that appreciate MF, and movements, and like to take our time, know what we prefer
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 11:10:53 am »

The Flexbody is a great piece of kit...
It is most beneficial if you already have a set of Hassy V-system lenses and a viewfinder... if not then I would buy a proper view camera.
The wide angles do not have much spare image circle, but the Macro-Planar 120 goes very well with the Flexbody and with a small sensor (even 645) you could usefully use more movement.

Silvestri made ¿make? an adaptor to allow you to use the Hassy V-sys lenses on a proper view camera, but it is more than the value of a Flexbody, so you could put the front end (or both ends) of a Flexbody on a view camera.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

kuau

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 12:51:45 pm »

Quote from: rethmeier

LIke I mentioned in my post to get all the benefits of a D3x, yo have to shoot it as if you were shooting MF,
Everything needs to be perfect.

No I do not own any Hassy lenses right now, so I think I will keep looking.
I have been also looking at the Silvestri Flexicam / Bicam solution.

I wonder if it's even necessary to have tilt for increased DOF on a tech view camera when using large format lenses  I can shoot at F16-F22  without loss of quality?? not sure
On my D3x, using Nikons PC-E lenses which I shoot at 5.6 - f8 I need to dial in 1 degree of tilt and bang everything falls into focus.

Steven