Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad  (Read 26165 times)

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
iPad
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2010, 10:18:54 am »

Quote from: PierreVandevenne
When one thinks about it, there isn't anything about the thing that's innovative, except maybe for the fact that it is one of the first Apple products that isn't overpriced [...]
Well, it's still about 2 times the price of its main rivals (kindle/nook/reader), but the old carpet-seller trick of "MSRP : 2 times what we (only) charge" still seems efficient.  
From what I see, it's basically an eBook reader, with some plus (can do a few other things, cool iphone-like interface) and minus (screen might be a bit difficult to read outdoors, but I'll wait to actually see one).

For we photographers, it may drive the netbooks, UMPC, small laptops category (what we actually need in the field) towards a friendlier interface with multitouch screens, which helps with small devices.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

BJL

iPad
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2010, 10:26:42 am »

Quote from: pschefz
... anyone ever brought a laptop to show a presentation? does not matter if the presentation (or slide show) is up in a minute or 3....this is instant....my agent has wowed clients with presentations on the first iphone.....it is up an running as fast as they can say:show me...
For some of us (maybe not many) traveling with and handling presentations alone is a great attraction. I give a lot of presentations in many different venues, and like to have the complete control of using my own device, not relying an the venue's computer, fiddling with flash memory pens, hoping that all my file formats are supported (is Flash up to date on this computer?) and so on. I want to just walk in, attach my device to the VGA cable and be going in a few seconds, with slides, videos or even live execution of software ready to go. Laptops are usable, but a bit slow and clumsy.

One drawback for now is that the iPad software is a bit limiting for now: mostly iPhone Apps, with the only presentation creation tool being Keynote (iWorks), and no Flash support. I do hope for either rapid porting of OS X apps to iPad, or rapid development of iPad-specific Apps for content creation, or enhanced OS X app support added to a future "iPad OS", evolving beyond iPhone OS.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:28:28 am by BJL »

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
iPad
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2010, 11:14:03 am »

I see the ipad as a new publishing platform, one that has great potential for photographers. I have been looking at the Kindle and Nook as potential future platforms for my work (if e ink would ever allow decent image display), but now the ipad offers that possibility now. Watch out, this is huge.

NikosR

• http://
iPad
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2010, 11:42:00 am »

Quote from: BJL
I suspect that magazines and newspapers like the New York Times wish to transition from free web-sites to primarily offering electronic subscriptions via Kindle, iPad and such devices: the magazine and newspaper desperately needs a new revenue source!

Well, what about subscription or pay to view web sites then? Limiting the content available for free doesn't necessarily mean a shift away from the www.
Nikos

image66

iPad
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2010, 12:27:11 pm »

I'm all confused.  Haven't I been working hard at downsizing all the electronic items I've been carrying with me these days?  

I need bigger pants pockets to carry this thing.

Oops, there's that stupid "Pants on the Ground" song again.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
iPad
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2010, 12:31:36 pm »

Quote from: NikosR
Well, what about subscription or pay to view web sites then? Limiting the content available for free doesn't necessarily mean a shift away from the www.

All attempts at web subscriptions for newspapers and magazines have resulted in failure, often a miserable one. Not too many people are willing to pay for content which is available for free elsewhere, and the few sources which have tried subscriptions have failed to differentiate their content enough from those. Even if News Corp closes up entirely, there will be others who won't - and even if they do, there will be numerous free sources of news financed by taxes, such as BBC.

Paul Sumi

iPad
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2010, 12:35:47 pm »

Quote from: image66
I'm all confused.  Haven't I been working hard at downsizing all the electronic items I've been carrying with me these days?  

I need bigger pants pockets to carry this thing.

Gizmodo did an article on "how are we supposed to hold this thing?" right before the intro of the iPad:

http://gizmodo.com/5455844/tablet-sutra-ho...ne=true&s=i

I think it addresses your question  

Paul

Wally

iPad
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2010, 12:42:44 pm »

Quote from: BJL
But in case you missed it Wally (and anyone else who sees little advantage over an iTouch or a smart phone):

1) the iPad will be far better for a lot visual media viewing than an iTouch: web browsing; photo and video viewing and basic photo manipulation; reading books, magazines and newspapers in electronic versions, etc. I suspect that magazines and newspapers like the New York Times wish to transition from free web-sites to primarily offering electronic subscriptions via Kindle, iPad and such devices: the magazine and newspaper desperately needs a new revenue source!

There are several issues here that are all DOA for the iPad. When it comes to Web Browsing the lack of flash support is a non starter for many people. In order to be a hit with Johnny Q Public it needs to run Flash. If they can't go on Facebook and play Farmville they will hate it. Apple seems to be marketing this to people who play video games, well video games need flash to be online. If Johnny Q Public does not buy this in droves it will not take off. I have read a lot of people talk about how great it will be for newspapers and magazines to develop interactive content. However once again this is a non starter. If you were the New York Times would you rather spend big money developing an iPad platform or use flash and/or PDF to make interactive content that will work on just about any computer with a web connection.

2) compared to book readers like Kindle, one obvious advantage is color and a far fuller web browser experience.

That also means very limited battery life. My Kindle can work for days or weeks at a time without killing the battery. Apple claims the iPad will run for 10 hours. The Kindle also has an upperhand in the ereader market because unlike the iPad you do not have to spend any money for 3G service to download books, magazines, and newspapers. With the Kindle Amazon pays for that so you do not need to buy a data plan. Also as I said above without Flash how rich of a web browser experience can you have? Also go into any real bookstore and look at what the Best Sellers are in both fiction and non fiction and then look around the store in general. What you will find is that overwhelming majority of books sold are just black letters on a white page with no graphics. As such the iPad will have no advtantage over a Kindle.

Another is some limited content creation ability: email, iWork for word processing, spreadsheets and presentations, and whatever other iPad Apps come along. But Amazon has opened up software development opportunities for Kindle, so maybe this is where future Kindle models are headed too.

I really do not think this is a selling point at all, because it is so limited, and because the iPad lacks a real keyboard. Anyone who seriously needs to do office type work will want a regular lap top, and the casusal user will already carry a blackberry, Droid, or other smart phone that can do the same things.

3) compared to laptops and flip-screen tablets, it is far more hand-holdable for reading books, websites and such, and "away from a desk" usage.

True but then again the short battery life and lack of flash support is a major let down

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
iPad
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2010, 01:12:05 pm »

"iBookstore will be available in the US at launch." -Apple.com

Another point is that if I am going to carry something this big, why wouldn't I
just take my 13" MacbookPro?
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Dansk

iPad
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2010, 01:19:08 pm »

this is about it

douglasf13

iPad
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2010, 01:33:23 pm »

Quote from: Dolce Moda Photography
"iBookstore will be available in the US at launch." -Apple.com

Another point is that if I am going to carry something this big, why wouldn't I
just take my 13" MacbookPro?

That's how I feel.  As a MB Pro 13" and iphone user, I'm struggling to see the point for me.  Most of the reasons that I break out my macbook over my iphone aren't addressed with ipad, and vice-versa.  If the ipad ran osx, and was the full convergence of my iphone and macbook, I'd seriously consider it.   As it stands now, it's just adding a third thing to carry, rather than combining all of my gadgets into one.  

dwood

iPad
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2010, 02:20:35 pm »

One man's perspective on the iPad...
Stephen Fry piece

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
iPad
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2010, 02:30:00 pm »

iPad may be 'perfect' or 'imperfect' - but surely it's all about the content!

Bahi

• http://shootraw.co.uk
iPad
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2010, 04:50:47 pm »

Quote from: Wally
When it comes to Web Browsing the lack of flash support is a non starter for many people. In order to be a hit with Johnny Q Public it needs to run Flash.

Both YouTube (the biggest Flash content site for web browsers) and Vimeo now offer HTML 5 video in beta, which doesn't require (or even support) Flash and will eventually obviate the need for Flash. I expected Flash to be a problem for the iPhone till Google announced that it was recoding all YouTube content to play in h.264 for the iPhone. Vimeo has just announced the same thing.

http://pr-usa.net/index.php?option=com_con...4&Itemid=96

As a side note (for most readers), in the UK, the BBC iPlayer is a hugely popular source of online television content, carrying all recently broadcast programmes and also offers an h.264 stream for iPhones that will work fine for the iPad.

Clever use of CSS may reduce and eventually eliminate another category of Flash use: the simple animation of text and graphics (as opposed to full motion video).

http://www.gesteves.com/experiments/starwars.html

In the example above, you can even select the text and copy it as it scrolls. It should work fine on the iPad—it certainly works on the iPhone.

Apple seems to be marketing this to people who play video games, well video games need flash to be online. If Johnny Q Public does not buy this in droves it will not take off. I have read a lot of people talk about how great it will be for newspapers and magazines to develop interactive content. However once again this is a non starter. If you were the New York Times would you rather spend big money developing an iPad platform or use flash and/or PDF to make interactive content that will work on just about any computer with a web connection.
There's no lack of games that are good, cheap or both for the iPhone/iPod platform already. In fact, many or most of the most frequently downloaded items from the app store are games--some of the most popular are free or cost 99 cents and will run on the iPad unmodified. There'll be a period during which newcomers to the iPhone or iPod Touch are disappointed when they can't play online games but it will be short—there's better stuff out there and it's not expensive. Ask any young user of an iPod Touch or iPhone; where I live, I can see people every day on any bus or train people engrossed in their iPod and iPhone games—and it's both kids and adults.
My Kindle can work for days or weeks at a time without killing the battery. Apple claims the iPad will run for 10 hours.
True, and that's a strong advantage of e-book readers. Another is the quality of the screens, which I find easier on the eye for long periods of reading.

That said, the iPhone and other large-screen, 3g phones all have poorer battery lfie than their small-screen, 2G counterparts but haven't suffered unduly from poor sales. Likewise, early colour devices like the first colour Palms had much worse battery life than their monochrome predecessors (which also lasted weeks) but in general, people have opted for functionality at the expense of battery life. The early iPods that had hard drives inside (with platters and spindles, not static flash memory) had relatively poor battery life compared with the  simple MP3 players that existed already but buyers eventually opted for the iPod's interface, storage capacity and transfer speed. The Kindle is great at what it does but does only one thing well. It will be routine to connect the iPad to to a computer to keep bookmarks, contacts and music, game and video purchases in sync—it charges during that time so it will become a routine thing till battery life improves.

My guess is that a whole bunch of people who hate being stuck behind a computer and don't like small laptops' screen quality and cramped feel will feel comfortable with this device. That is a huge opportunity for photographers—there's a real potential for sales of photography volumes at low cost but high unit volume. Someone looking at a photographer's web site or the credits on a news article could easily—as an impulse purchase—go to the iBook app to buy and download one the artist's publications. The whole process would take no more than a few seconds. The iPad's IPS screen (something that most small laptops still don't have) is likely to deliver very strong results, if the photographer's and publisher's workflow and colour management are good. I can't help thinking that this is a whole new thing, both for writers and photographers.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:58:18 pm by Bahi »

Pytlowany

iPad
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2010, 07:16:01 pm »

The features of this Archos tablet look more useful and complete than a Mac tablet. Archos 9" Tablet  It also uses a normal OS.

Panorama

iPad
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2010, 07:17:22 pm »

This is basically a toy and there's no way this is a replacement for a netbook or something useful. A limit of 64GB (3g is $829), a horrendous form factor as a phone, zero ability to run real applications (and the 25,000 farting applications in the "app store" don't count) adds up to yet another so-what product from apple. Reality aside though, it's true that Apple/mac people will buy anything they're told to buy; as long as Jobs tells them it's "awesome" and the coolest thing ever these people will part company with their money for a grossly over priced product.

For $199, maybe, if you want an e-reader. Otherwise, a very sad joke... Completely unimpressive...

Apple's new motto will be "Remember the Newton, er, uh, iPad".      A popular Youtube video sums up this fiasco... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:37:28 pm by Panorama »

Moynihan

• jay moynihan:  glances stares & nods
iPad
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2010, 09:11:42 pm »

Interesting thread.

First, let me say, I do not own any Apple products. Not because i do not like Apple or whatever, i just do not own any, i guess because i never wanted to pay the "premium".

From what I have read, at the last CES in Vegas you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a tablet or slate computer. The Ipad is not in and of itself "revolutionary". What is important is that it is an Apple product. They seem to have a knack for ergonomics and design for the consumer market. What is sometimes referred to as "machine beauty" .

In the original Star Trek series communicator inspired the flip phone design. If you want to see the range of uses for the ultra thin Ipad/slate/tablet hooked to the "cloud", just watch a few episodes of Star Trek Next Generation or Deep Space Nine. You see then all over the place.

I think the most intriguing use of the Ipad by a working photographer (which I am not) is as a portifolio. It could contain both still images and motion. Look at the quality of image presentation in Lenswork Extended.
I imagine that later incarnations and non-apple tablets coming out now will be of more varied practical use for working photographers.

But by looking at the ipad in that way, we miss its true "importance". It is not made for photographers, computer jockeys, etc. It is made for consumers. And, consumers on the south side of about 45 years old. Those consumers are the customers of some photographers (wedding market). Those customers are who are supplied with media by your customers (publishing, editorial, periodicals, advertising, etc.). The ipad is just a new apple i-product that is a big deal because of the existing base, market share, mystique quality etc. of Apple consumer electronics.  This could be the beginning of of a shift in how consumers in rich countries consume various media from print to video. That will effect everyone involved in production of media.

Driftforge

iPad
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2010, 10:18:40 pm »

For those asking for a "full" OS, what is it you are looking for?  Ever considered that a "full" OS may not actually be the best fit for this sort of device?  You can safely assume Apple has run OSX on it themselves and picked the better option...

10 hours is operating battery time.  Seems a goodly chunk.  And you can spread that over a month if you want.  

Applications will come.  They will be different to what we have on the PC, and different to what we have on the iPhone.  You just have to have a look at the apps Apple has put together for themselves to see this.  The OS is not the same as on the iPhone, not at this scale and resolution.  Size changes the way the interface works.  Different things work.

Wait and see what developers do with this.  It's a new platform, with new capabilities and limitations.  Some of those limitations will fade as the platform itself beds down over a couple of generations.  Some of those will remain to limit growth in cancerous directions.  

Here's the thing.  People who buy Apple expect to pay for not only the device, but the content.  That is what Apple is bringing to the market.  Sure, online news has never been able to be charged for previously.  But this is exactly what Apple brings; the promise of being able to charge.   This is why the device will succeed.  Because it will have content - both applications and media.

Wally

iPad
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2010, 11:42:45 pm »

Quote from: Bahi
Both YouTube (the biggest Flash content site for web browsers) and Vimeo now offer HTML 5 video in beta, which doesn't require (or even support) Flash and will eventually obviate the need for Flash. I expected Flash to be a problem for the iPhone till Google announced that it was recoding all YouTube content to play in h.264 for the iPhone. Vimeo has just announced the same thing.

http://pr-usa.net/index.php?option=com_con...4&Itemid=96

Wow so you can drop mega bucks and run beta software. The HTML 5 standards are WAY off in the future and no where near prime time. Yep that is certainly a richer browser experience. Or you could just run Flash which is used on millions of websites and has been around for a long time.

As a side note (for most readers), in the UK, the BBC iPlayer is a hugely popular source of online television content, carrying all recently broadcast programmes and also offers an h.264 stream for iPhones that will work fine for the iPad.

Of course in the USA Hulu is a major player supported by most of the major television networks, and it is all flash.

Clever use of CSS may reduce and eventually eliminate another category of Flash use: the simple animation of text and graphics (as opposed to full motion video).

http://www.gesteves.com/experiments/starwars.html

In the example above, you can even select the text and copy it as it scrolls. It should work fine on the iPad—it certainly works on the iPhone.

or the iPad could just run flash, no need to beta software or code, or the hope that at some point in the future CSS or HTML 5 may make the need for flash not a big deal. Remember the article on this site and this site in general is all about photography. How many photography sites are flash based? Since Adobe owns flash you can bet that flash support will continue to be expanded in things like Photoshop and Lightroom which of course owns the Photography market.

There's no lack of games that are good, cheap or both for the iPhone/iPod platform already. In fact, many or most of the most frequently downloaded items from the app store are games--some of the most popular are free or cost 99 cents and will run on the iPad unmodified. There'll be a period during which newcomers to the iPhone or iPod Touch are disappointed when they can't play online games but it will be short—there's better stuff out there and it's not expensive. Ask any young user of an iPod Touch or iPhone; where I live, I can see people every day on any bus or train people engrossed in their iPod and iPhone games—and it's both kids and adults.

Yep I know I play them on my iPod touch, What you are saying basically proves my point. The iPad is just an iPod touch with a bigger screen. Will all of these people who already own an iPod Touch or an iPhone run out and buy an iPad just for a bigger screen?

That is a huge opportunity for photographers—there's a real potential for sales of photography volumes at low cost but high unit volume. Someone looking at a photographer's web site or the credits on a news article could easily—as an impulse purchase—go to the iBook app to buy and download one the artist's publications.
unless of course the photographers website is flashed based which the overwhelming majority are with that number increasing everyday due to a whole host of reasons not to mention the webmodules in Lightroom that are flashed based. From my perspective photographers seem to use flash more on their websites than any other category.

The whole process would take no more than a few seconds. The iPad's IPS screen (something that most small laptops still don't have) is likely to deliver very strong results, if the photographer's and publisher's workflow and colour management are good. I can't help thinking that this is a whole new thing, both for writers and photographers.

Or Apple could just make it work with flash and it would not have to be a whole new thing, nor an Apple proprietary thing.

pschefz

iPad
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2010, 02:21:34 am »

i remember my last phone before my iphone...a nokia that had a5mpix zeiss camera, browser, email,mp3....some kind of navigation...it did all that and nothing well....actually it made every single task a pain....when the iphone was announced, i was very disappointed....and wasn't going to get one....until i played with it for one minute....and saw for the first time how i could open an email with a pdf attached and check that out and click on a link and look at a webgallery...and it all was like having a little desktop in front of me....i was sold....not by the power or great camera.....but by how easy it was to actually do what i need to do....

the iphone OS is by far the most stable OS i have ever seen...i don't have to do anything, don't have to worry about anything....

my mom at 70 (yes she still runs her business and enjoys doing so...) now takes only her iphone on trips....not a cellphone, camera and laptop...because it does what she needs it to do....with any of her previous cellphones, she could not figure out how to use the camera...and i am not even getting into email or browsing.....

this OS is finally how an OS should be....so a monkey or child sits down and knows how and what and where....which is the point of all this....it is not how can i make it faster and better and how can i do this and that...a good OS should not be seen or feared..it should be invisible....not: how do i use this? how do i do this?

that HP slate thing runs windows 7 with multitouch...wonderful...just look at the screen infront of you right now and try to do ANYTHING on your computer (mac or windows) with your fingers on the screen....it's not made for that! it is made for a tiny pointing device not meaty fingers......it's not a problem to make a screen a touchscreen....it's a problem to make a touchscreen interface usable....

everybody here is asking for raw conversion.....this is about controlling your entire house via the ipad....climate control, heat, garage door, TV, stereo, any kind of remote control...it will be there...most are already (via the iphone)....

car manufacturers are building apps to remotely start your car, lock, unlock it, see where the guy who just stole it is going and turning the engine off....this is all available right now....even as an aftermarket app for pretty much any car.....heat it up while still sipping you morning coffee...and reading the "paper"....and checking the weather and your email...all on the ipad.....

and all this is just the beginning....has anyone actually checked out the onone app for nikon/canon remote shooting? it is the first application for tethering i have ever used that actually works perfectly, every time, an idiot can use it and it is dirt cheap.....

who cares if it does not have flash....if i want to watch a tv show, i will buy it for 1 or 2$...so i don't have to deal with ads....flash is a resource hog on my mbp....and i have never missed it on my iphone....i would not be surprised to see flash at some point...but then again....millions of people with their iphones don't seem to miss it and the iphone is responsible for a huge chuck of all wireless data consumed.....

iwork really is the best productivity suite out there for most people....office can do a lot more....but just like imovie....not everybody wants to make a feature....and without the bloat and options you can get things done faster and easier....just like i would recommend iphoto over photoshop any day...and i know them both well....but i know that for 99% of all people iphoto will be a uch better experience..and they will actually USE it....and make books...or whatever....

of course i would want the power of a macpro, raided SSDs and a 100% RGB screen all in the ipad package....but it is just not possible.....so i am not sure how people expect so much from such a small package at a very fair price (it is a fair price...)....its like asking the latest p&s to perform like a DMF back...just not possible.....

i really hate that there is no front facing camera/ichat....and that is ATT's fault....
schefz.com
artloch.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up