Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad  (Read 26157 times)

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
iPad
« on: January 27, 2010, 04:25:27 pm »

Michael had some very interesting observations on what the iPad means to photographers.  I think one thing that wasn't mentioned, but may prove to be invaluable, is the ability to bring your portfolio with you.  Granted, the screen may prove to be a bit on the small side to fully appreciate image quality (AKA pixel peeping), but how about pulling out your iPad while meeting with a potential client for a quick impromptu slideshow?  Sure, you can pull out your Macbook or netbook, but if the iPad is as functional as the iPhone, instead of booting up a computer, you hit the home button and you're there.  

Or how about in-person portfolio reviews?  Sure, the iPad will never replace prints IMHO, but you can bring along a heck of a lot more photos for showing on an interface that is very intuitive.  

Will it be a game changer?  Like Michael said, it's too early to tell, but the potential is definitely there.

Wally

iPad
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 04:26:48 pm »

I read your article Michael, and I just don't see it.

In order for your prediction to come true the iPad would need to become a huge seller. I just don't see that. If you scrape off all the hype the iPad is really just an iPod touch with a larger screen that costs 2X as much as a net book. I own an iPod touch why would I want to spend another $500+ just to get a bigger screen?

A net book will give you much more power for much less cost and at about the same size and weight. If I am going to carry something that large into the field or want to shoot tethered to something I would much rather have a full fleged laptop or even a net book and be able to run real software on it.

I also do not really see it as a game changer in the book world either. With MP3 players or the iPod/iTunes system you can carry thousands of songs around with you in a very small device. This is cool because you often want to listen to a bunch of different things a song at a time. For example on a plane trip or a long commute home I might listen to 20 random songs by 20 different artists from 20 different albums.

I would however never read 20 random chapters from 20 different books by 20 different authors so why do I need to carry around hundreds of books? I also do not need an e-reader to look at magazine or newspaper content as I can allready get all of that that I want for free online that is easily available on my netbook or regular laptop. Or I can spend 50 cents or a few bucks and buy a newspaper or magazine to read on the plane or on the train and not worry about breaking anything or dead batteries. Yes your prediction about video content for news magazines online will come true but we are allready moving in that direction and have been for years and still will be when the iPad crashes and burns.

michael

iPad
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 04:37:15 pm »

I have added a mention of the portfolio presentation opportunity. It was an oversight to leave it out.

As for "reading 20 random chapters from 20 different books by 20 different authors", I'm afraid that you've missed the point and its a straw-man argument at best. I have been using a Sony Reader for the past six months when I travel and love it (sort of – I hate the device, but I love the convenience).

I usually have at least two and sometimes more books on the go at the same time; one fiction and one non-fiction. I often buy hardcovers when something new comes out that interests me. With a reader I can carry them all with me and switch back and forth any time. Traveling with two or three books, especially hard covers, just doesn't fly – literally.

In any event, Apple disagrees with you since they are manufacturing and intend on selling 10 million iPads in the first year. That's the beginning of a game changing technology.

Michael
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:37:49 pm by michael »

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
iPad
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 04:49:46 pm »

As a photographer, i was hoping for something else, i was looking for a netbook-style machine with great screen that will replace a netbook/notebook on location for Db shooting with a view camera on location. I hasn't Firewire, it won't run C1 or Lightroom, and I'm not sure i would handle 60 MP files (not processing, only opening and zooming). Well I'm continuing with my 12" low budget laptop.

but, i really really see the importance of the ipad for Apple and the industry.
It is all about content: when the iPhone was released, I would never have imagined to whole rush for Apps. People ares still ready to pay for something. Not only will they run little apps, they will buy and play music, read books, and last but not least, this can bring back young people to the 21st century newspaper. I'm not saying it's a great thing, I don't know if the free content actually available on newspaper www sites will survive. but I'm sure things will change...somehow.

Tom

Del

iPad
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:28:58 pm »

I think it is quite exciting, even after all the drama attending to its introduction.  I've been waiting for an e-reader and am looking forward to purchasing one.  If the on screen experience is what I expect it to be, I'll use it a great deal. The real test for me however will be for subscription based online content-I'm willing to pay for a good experience in that area-photography sites included.  

I'm also excited about the potential to use it as a storage device for photographs in the field, without the need to take along the notebook.  Using it for the portfolio also sounds great-assuming the quality is there.

Finally, I like to watch TV and surf the net at the same time-this seems like just the right device for that as well.  I'll be one of the first-voting with the credit card is what will really determine its success.  I do wish that AT&T was not the single source, but I'm guessing that too will pass.
Del

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
iPad
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 05:35:44 pm »

I'm *very* dissapointed - I was honestly hoping for a device that runs OS X.....

I'm not sure the extension of yet another platform (iPod/iPhone) is really a great idea - it certainly isn't a good fit for me.

pschefz

iPad
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 05:39:57 pm »

i would love to see an ipad sized thing to support tethered shooting, 60mpix raw files,.....but it is obviously not possible....YET....a full blown mbp can hardly manage all this....

maybe expectations were just too high?

afaik the kindle sells for 500 and does one thing....only....

i love my iphone....and i always thought that it is a mediocre phone with unbelievable daily computing power....and the ipad is a lot more computing power with a large beautiful screen....so i can do my email, browsing, simple office stuff (expenses, letters, presentations,.....) plus it does does video and all this for 10 hours....

netbooks are a joke...small screen, and the worst: terrible OS....anyone ever brought a laptop to show a presentation? does not matter if the presentation (or slide show) is up in a minute or 3....this is instant....my agent has wowed clients with presentations on the first iphone.....it is up an running as fast as they can say:show me....

the hardware will only get better....the software (OS) is just starting to warm up....this is not a full fledged laptop or computer, but can handle everything 90% of all people do on computers all day long...and it will change the way people handle books, mags any printed material (education!!!!!)....

for photographers it will change the way our work is viewed....even more screen viewing....

not sure how this will work in a professional workflow....canon refuses to put wifi N in their grips, so raw wifi tethering is still out....but i can see a set up where i shoot and 1 (or 2 or 3) ipads are around the room browsing the instant web gallery (from jpgs) the canon broadcasts.....not sure how i could attach any looks to those jpgs though....

anyone who has ever worked with the onone dslr iphone app knows what is possible.....

i have a 16gb iphone with 3000 images (snaps of the last 5 years, several portfolios and pics from the iphone cam), 50 or 60 albums, some video+ one full lenght feature, about 50 apps (incl navigation 1+gb) and still have room....so i am not sure why i would need more then the 16gb ipad...other then wanting more....and i could not care less about 3g on it.....so for me the 500 is a good perfect....this will not replace my computer....in any way....but i will spend a lot less time on the main computer....

i am very disappointed that there is no ichat....i am sure this is a telecom political decision....and sucks....

i am looking forward to ipad/iphone os 4.0......and aperture 3.0 and the fun things that might happen with an ipad integration in that workflow....(remote screens, camera control,....)

this is only the beginning....do yourself a favor and watch mr microsoft's (ballmer) reaction to the original iphone announcement....this is all about the OS.....ease of use....

schefz.com
artloch.com

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
iPad
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 06:00:48 pm »

Engadget has a good iPad hands-on video - and about 300 other iPad stories on their main page.

The photo gallery app demo starts at 5:30.

I have to say the UI looks amazing, and it's blazingly fast and responsive.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:09:01 pm by feppe »

Wally

iPad
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 06:07:23 pm »

Quote from: michael
I have added a mention of the portfolio presentation opportunity. It was an oversight to leave it out.

As for "reading 20 random chapters from 20 different books by 20 different authors", I'm afraid that you've missed the point and its a straw-man argument at best. I have been using a Sony Reader for the past six months when I travel and love it (sort of – I hate the device, but I love the convenience).

I usually have at least two and sometimes more books on the go at the same time; one fiction and one non-fiction. I often buy hardcovers when something new comes out that interests me. With a reader I can carry them all with me and switch back and forth any time. Traveling with two or three books, especially hard covers, just doesn't fly – literally.

Michael

No Micheal I get the point and you just made it even clearer. You already have an e-reader a Sony one, I have a Kindle I got from Amazon. Those are great devices for reading books which historically have black text on a white page. With my Kindle I get the same thing, and I can download content for free on a great 3G network without paying for service coverage.

In your essay you said

This being the case, with screen-based magazines, in many cases rather than photographs in an article being stills, they will be stills that at the touch of a finger may become a motion sequence. A shot of the winning touchdown in a Sports Illustrated story on the Superbowl becomes a video clip of the action. A photograph of a child being rescued from the rubble in Haiti becomes a short vignette on efforts to save the rescued child's life, and comments by the medical staff on their travails.

We already have that, and it is called the web. Right now for free on billions of devices world wide you can go to www.si.com and do just that. The iPad does not change this at all. If publishers think they can get people to drop $500+ dollars on an e-reader and then pay for content they can get for free online they are sadly mistaken. Why would I pay for the e-reader version of Sports Illustrated to read about the Superbowl when I can do it on their website or a thousand others for free. Not to mention the average person has several TVs and gets several hundred TV Channels.

also from your essay
But when glossy magazines like Sports Illustrated and National Geographic move to the iPad environment, they will want high quality video along with their high quality stills.
funny they have been on the web for years, why would the iPad environment have anything to do with it?

In any event, Apple disagrees with you since they are manufacturing and intend on selling 10 million iPads in the first year. That's the beginning of a game changing technology.

I am sure that Apple will sell a bunch in the first year, that does not make it game changing technology. There are roughly 500 million people just in the USA, the UK, Canada, and Japan. Not to mention the billions in the rest of the developed world. True game changing technology would mean selling way more than 10 million. For example more Blu Ray players were sold than that last year in the USA alone yet Blu Ray has hardly been a game changer.

If you were National Geographic would you rather develop high quality content that billions of people could see or develop high quality content than only 10 million can see?

dkosiur

iPad
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 06:09:04 pm »

Who really cares about what OS the iPad is running, as long as it gets the job done? Lacking C1 or even Lightroom, the iPad may not be the answer for professional photographers working in the field, but it could meet the needs of other levels of photographers. I, for one, am considering one, as it would replace my iPod Touch, a Kindle (if I had one), and an Epson P-xxxx viewer.

BTW, Apple did announce the Camera Connection Kit on their web site, so you can transfer images directly from either your camera (via USB) or SDHC  card. Not sure how you'd get the images from the iPad to your main computer once you're back home (USB? Wi-Fi?).

I believe Michael may have written some time ago about some of the photo-editing programs available for the iPhone and it appears that some of them are rather capable. Imagine what they may look like when the app developers take those same apps and utilize the new SDK to use all of the iPad's real estate and processing capabilities. Photo-stitching and HDR are already possibilities. (Tethering and 60 Gb images don't interest me, sorry.)

So, there's already significant capabilities, and a great deal of potential in the iPad, as Michael said.

And don't talk to me about the "power" of netbooks until someone actually compares similar tasks on them and the iPad...

Dave

Bill VN

iPad
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 06:10:47 pm »

I don't know if it's possible, but if Phase One came up with a cable interface and ported Capture One to the iPad, it would result in an excellent device for tethered shooting.

feppe

iPad
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 06:13:35 pm »

Quote from: Wally
If you were National Geographic would you rather develop high quality content that billions of people could see or develop high quality content than only 10 million can see?

That's not the point. The point is that iPad and other tablets are a game changer in the long term. Sure it would be foolish for NG to stop publishing the magazine - but at the same time it would be foolish for them to put their head in the sand, and waking up to the cold hard reality music and movie industry are tackling because it became easier to pirate than to pay for the content.

There will be no magazines or newspapers in dead tree form in 5-20 years, and this is one of the first baby steps in that direction.

feppe

iPad
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 06:16:01 pm »

Quote from: dkosiur
BTW, Apple did announce the Camera Connection Kit on their web site, so you can transfer images directly from either your camera (via USB) or SDHC  card. Not sure how you'd get the images from the iPad to your main computer once you're back home (USB? Wi-Fi?).

Combined with an Eyefi card you (should) get your digital ground glass.

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
iPad
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 06:26:55 pm »

AFAIC, utterly disappointed. Doesn't fit the bill as a music player (should fit in my jeans pocket), as a book reader (e-ink is really good on my eyes for those 400 pages marathons, should fit in my coat pocket), as a computer substitute (OS has too many issues for that purpose), as a backup device (lacks capacity, add yet another card reader, to read cards that will soon have more capacity than the device itself), as a GPS (too big), as a writing instrument (well a cautious maybe on that one), as a game console (either to big compared to small consoles, underpowered vs real ones). But could still be the first generation of game changing devices in terms of magazines/daily news/video journals/multi-media textbooks/data entry devices/wikipedia interface...). When one thinks about it, there isn't anything about the thing that's innovative, except maybe for the fact that it is one of the first Apple products that isn't overpriced (my guess is that Apple has big expectations for its margins on content delivery). It was a bit unreal to hear how cool the "technology" of "pixel doubling" worked. Multi-touch, the Apple way, on a larger device is really nice though. Could be that all it needs are a few killer apps... As far as using it to show a portfolio, virtually every screen as a card reader build in nowadays...

FWIW, wait and see, I am not a buyer at this point.

pschefz

iPad
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 06:31:04 pm »

Quote from: Wally
No Micheal I get the point and you just made it even clearer. You already have an e-reader a Sony one, I have a Kindle I got from Amazon. Those are great devices for reading books which historically have black text on a white page. With my Kindle I get the same thing, and I can download content for free on a great 3G network without paying for service coverage.

funny they have been on the web for years, why would the iPad environment have anything to do with it?

I am sure that Apple will sell a bunch in the first year, that does not make it game changing technology. There are roughly 500 million people just in the USA, the UK, Canada, and Japan. Not to mention the billions in the rest of the developed world. True game changing technology would mean selling way more than 10 million. For example more Blu Ray players were sold than that last year in the USA alone yet Blu Ray has hardly been a game changer.

so you bought a book reader for 500$...without any chance of that thing doing anything else...ever...but the ipad won't sell? there is nothing i saw that apple won't get the same agreement with publishers (a share of the ebook price covers the 3g charges worldwide) especially since the ipad uses a non propriatory ebook file system.....AND you can actually read all your kindle downloads on it as well....already....

if you haven't realized that smartphones (and the iphone especially) HAVE changed the web already maybe it's time to educate yourself....

you forget that all content produced for the ipad already has a 75 million user base....TODAY...

really read up on talks between apple and pretty much everybody in publishing....from mags (conde nast and all other major players) to books to the educational market (mc graw hill leaked the ipad last night....).....this will be in every school...everywhere....

and btw: this will also be in: stores, hospitals,....anywhere you see a clipboard now....

but of course some people prefer to carry a kindle, a mp3 player, a video player and their smartphone.....

schefz.com
artloch.com

Paul Sumi

iPad
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 06:42:24 pm »

Too much of an "in-between" device for me in terms of size and power.  It doesn't replace a notebook computer, to me it's basically a super-sized iPod Touch.

I'm interested to see if anyone offers an app which can display/edit RAW files.  If not, it's just another thing to have to unpack to go through the x-ray at the airport.   Photoshop for iPad, anyone?

Paul

ps: a lot of humor about the iPad on the Internet:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:51:35 pm by Paul Sumi »

thewanderer

iPad
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 06:42:46 pm »

Question>>

1, does it allow for a att or verizon mobile card plug in?   Given I have a black berry that i hate for phone, mobile internet, mobile email, and a att mobile usb card for moblie connections for real internet usage on my macbook, how many more devices do we need for mobile connections that range for 35 -75 a month.  Heck its getting to cheaper to get health insurance than to stay online

wtlloyd

iPad
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 06:55:42 pm »

First, before commenting on the i-Pad itself, let me say, Michael, that I was really knocked out by the writing in this article...the opening paragraphs are just so.....right!

I also am persuaded, as a 5D2 owner who has never bothered to even try the video functions, that you may well be correct about a new reason for convergence - it has always seemed to me that DSLR video was an answer looking for a question. Eh, well, that's probably just ME.

The i-Pad looks fantastic - a game changer. I own no Apple products currently, and have never used i-tunes. But I have had a Kindle2 for almost a year now. I dismiss it for its faults as much as I embrace the i-Pad for it's virtues. What I love about it's capacity is that I have books I love and read many times on it, as well as some I want to or should want to read...most of these were free, classics past their copyright time. AND, I have PDF's of every equipment manual I need, as well as a number of books on photography and birding published in PDF format. All in one device.

The E-ink technology in the Kindle falls short. The lack of backlighting is the worst and largest part of its failure, to me. No touch screen, and the inability to organize contents in any sort of folder structure are interface FAILS.  And lack of color...? Well, I knew what it was when I bought it. Many things about the Kindle ARE right, but I soon stopped carrying it as I could only read in bright light environments.

The i-Pad is brilliant in that the interface is hugely functional AND familiar. The use of IP-S LED screen is a blessing, and what will make it a huge success in the Photographic community. I don't want to load RAW files on it at all, much less process them. But, as mentioned, this looks to be a killer portfolio display device.

Convergence: I stopped carrying a pager and a watch once my cellphone could fit comfortably in my pocket. Then I upgraded to a Blackberry a year or two ago, and would never, ever go back to a standard cell....In the i-Pad, having a netbook capability with the size, weight and format of an e-reader, all in a device with touch-screen functionallity...well, give me a built-in phone with a bluetooth earpiece in the i-Pad, and I will say the future has arrived and found not wanting.

I can't wait to get one, although I expect the 64GB model to be closer to $900 than $500...it's Apple, doncha know?

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
iPad
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 07:00:03 pm »

Put me squarely in the camp of 'I just dont get it' as a tool for photographers. As a photographic tool I personally can see little to no use for this product.

For me the disappointment is it wont run lightroom or Photoshop - makes it pretty useless for anything except showing a portfolio of images - which I can do perfectly well on my macbook pro without any issues (as well as running my image editing software).

In terms of view of using for preview of captured images.... I can 'sort' of see this in the field.. but in the studio.. forget it. A nice big 26"+ monitor is what the client wants to see images on - not a 10" screen.

The new ipad for me is going to be a great tool for browsing the web and email - unfortunately, I don't need yet another tool for this purpose. I dont even know if it will be as good as a kindle for reading books as I prefer the 'kindle' style of paper like screen.

Time may well prove me wrong.. but initially.. I dont think this is a product for me.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:10:12 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Dansk

iPad
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 07:33:39 pm »

I think this ipad has one chance at success. Apps.

Apps apps apps!

If this thing is going to fly it has to offer something new that we dont already have which as of now it doesnt at all IMO. The lack of ichat comment above is brilliantly observant and the fact that APPLE of all companies is deliberately shying away from digital aids for its end user in favor of pay systems??? Well they really have come full circle havent they... *cough cough microsoft cough cough*

Anyways back on my apps theory. I bought an iphone when they launched the 3G as i seldom if ever buy a first run anything. I was a longtime BlackBerry user which i absolutely loved for its excellent mobile email capabilities which is pretty much where the BB started, and stopped. They have been playing desperate catch up to Apple since the iphone launched after being the dominant leader for years and why?

Apps.

How do I know this? Because the iphone SUCKED completely SUCKED as a reliable phone and especially unreliable email service until we hit OS 3.x or thereabouts. I wrote e-complaint after e-complaint to Apple about all the problems i was having. I filled out 20 minute long surveys. I had so much grief i tried to return the damn thing but to no avail.

But in the meantime... All these really cool apps literally came out of nowhere and I have to admit i really started to dig the iphone as a toy and working aid utilizing GPS apps and other neato tools and much less as a strictly digital uplink tool which was all I thought I was initially buying ( and one that SUCKED again i might add ). So now after a mere year and a half of iphone life it seems to be working as well as my BB in terms of email but it still drops more calls than just about any phone I've ever had did ( last ten yrs that is ) and I dont have to mention to any of you how handy and cool some of the apps are so and its come soooo far in such a short time so this brings us to the ipad...

Coming full circle now when i look at this ipad and see that it really doesnt seem to be offering anything that will make me buy it I as of now see no need for it at all. But considering how the apps in my iphone have quickly made me forget about my BB and likely keep me the on iphone upgrade course for the future as it appears right now at least. Makes me have to think in order for the ipad to make a big shake up the apps are going to have to make it or break it for this device. The OS is iphone based likely for this sole reason and all the "new and wonderful" tablet apps that are likely to come out shortly will be interesting to see as I know I will be watching closely.

As for a photographers tool? Meh I see no reason at all that this in anyway will replace my laptop for shooting in the field nor for viewing images either proofing or display ( calibration anyone? ) just too much grief with little to no advantage unless booting up in two seconds is CRUCIAL to your sales tactics ( it sure wont make any difference to me ) then i just dont see it. Maybe others will have some insight that escapes us so far hence my post I'm curious to hear what everyone else is going to say about it too

Also regarding the comments of replacing all print media? Blah i8've been hearing this for years and ONE DAY this will happen but we still need to get everyone out there to pony up and BUY ONE which ten million units isnt going to mean squat for now. When sales hit 500 million I'll take those comments seriously. Look at HDTV for instance? Its still a poor implementation of dominance over conventional broadcasting. Its happening but much slower than everyone initially thought as the one reason again. Cost. Not everyone can run out and buy a brand new HDTV and advertisers still need to get their message out to all and so it is.

Interesting aside however that really has me thinking. Apparently the numbers of internet saturation are 40% of the worlds population are linked in and have their own access. 65% of the worlds pop has been online at some point on a cafe machine or a friends. With the launch of all these 3G type devices the forecasts are that 80% of the worlds population will have their own link within five years. Thats double, DOUBLE the volume of web users now that will be online within five years.

Half of the market is a very very serious impact and what are they going to want? I seriously doubt they will be searching out Napster... More than likely they'll play with whatever candy is already online such as youtube etc. When a new audience of that sizes enters an already existing forum it can and likely will change things substantially. This has me wondering whats next a lot more than this ipad does.

Long enough rant for ya?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:35:01 pm by Dansk »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up