Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Aculaser printer calibration  (Read 1781 times)

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
Epson Aculaser printer calibration
« on: January 25, 2010, 08:29:46 am »

Hello all

I decided to give it a try today and use the Eye one print calibration device for my Epson Aculaser 3800.  We print out CD booklets here for all of our supplied images and thought I would try to get the best out of it.  Up to this point the prints were ok, punchy, but not colour accurate.  After creating a profile and printing from pdf we have noticed huge discrepancies in colour and gamma depending on what you select (Fine/superfine) (Toner save) I have tried to disable all colour conversions with the exception of the printer setting box where you can choose your icc profile.... it's really hard to get right ... would anyone have experience?  I'm thinking that the driver isn't really set up for colour critical work.

Ros

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
Epson Aculaser printer calibration
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:54:18 pm »

Quote from: Roskav
Hello all

I decided to give it a try today and use the Eye one print calibration device for my Epson Aculaser 3800.  We print out CD booklets here for all of our supplied images and thought I would try to get the best out of it.  Up to this point the prints were ok, punchy, but not colour accurate.  After creating a profile and printing from pdf we have noticed huge discrepancies in colour and gamma depending on what you select (Fine/superfine) (Toner save) I have tried to disable all colour conversions with the exception of the printer setting box where you can choose your icc profile.... it's really hard to get right ... would anyone have experience?  I'm thinking that the driver isn't really set up for colour critical work.

Ros

I've worked with a lot of color lasers in proofing environments and they are always somewhat problematic. What you mentioned about the drivers is correct, you need to build the profile using one of the "quality" settings and then always print with that same setting if you want consistent results. Disabling color management can also be tricky since there is not usually a global "no color management" setting like on many of the inkjets. Accuracy is also going to be complicated by that fact that toner based devices drift a lot more than inkjets, this can easily be 5∆e over the course of the day...not sure about this specific model. You should be able to profile it and keep it in the "ballpark" as far a color goes.
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow
Pages: [1]   Go Up