Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: spraying canvas  (Read 4205 times)

Trustcobass

spraying canvas
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:45:07 pm »

hey guys... quick question... when I spray my canvas (breathing colour LYVE canvas) with Glamour 2 it gets small pinholes that look terrible when it dries...  any idea why this is?

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
spraying canvas
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:18:14 pm »

Generally pinholes, usually called fisheyes in spray terminology, are from some form of surface contamination that creates surface tension to repel the sprayed material.  In the world of spray finishing, it is usually from oils or residue on the substrate, but it can also be caused by oil in the line from your compressor.  If your compressor has a water trap, make sure that you bleed it.  Most portable compressors don't come with them, however, but you can add one inline if you diagnose that there is no other issue at hand.  Before you go to any great lengths, though, try to spray it first with a very light dust coat or two before applying a heavier coat.  I don't really have fisheye problems (although I"m still mostly using Chromata White instead of Lyve) but still find that I get a smoother surface from this technique.  What you are doing is laying down preliminary material that conditions the surface, but not applying enough to allow the Glamour material to move around or get repelled by anything.  I typically apply a couple of light dust coats, then one very heavy coat that flows out.  If I want a slightly less glossy finish, I follow with another couple of light dust coats after the main coat has dried to stipple the surface.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
spraying canvas
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 12:28:30 am »

What type of spray gun are you using?  What dilution of Glamour II?  Are you diluting with distilled water?  Pinholes are a common problem when rolling, but I have never had them when applying either thick or thin coats with an HVLP system.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
spraying canvas
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 08:52:30 am »

Pin holes on canvas and fisheye are 2 totally seperate things. As the finisher in my cabinetry business I run into fisheye when refinishing an antique piece that someone has put wax on or a silicone based product.(We don't allow any silicone based products even close to the shop.) Even with the best sanding sometimes you just cannot get it all out. When that is the case we add some of Sherwin Williams fish eye additive. Its just a form of silicone and when added to our catalized top coats in mist coats the fish eyes dissapear.
Back to your canvas pin hole issue. Canvas is very porous and takes alot of product to soak in and fill all the voids. Sometimes you will see it more with higher temperatures when you try to put on too heavy of a coat. You may want  to put lighter mist coats when spraying.  When I get pin holes when rolling Glamor II a pass or two with the roller over the affected areas with more material usually does the trick. The second coat always fills in any remaining pores. If 2 or 3 fine coats still does not do the trick I would get a clean roller and after your first coat when all the pin holes are evident just work the material in both directions to fill the pores. Then spray your final coat and you should be good to go.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:01:46 am by Dan Berg »

Rocco Penny

spraying canvas
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:20:18 am »

I have some experience spraying, although not too much on canvas.
Were you spraying in high humidity?
Was there moisture in the gun?
Sounds like you sprayed contaminants onto the surface through the air line.
Also, what was the temperature you sprayed at?
Also, don't try to go too thick, I'm having my best results with roughly 150 ml per 2.5 square feet in two or three coats.
That's diluted to 50/50 with water and I add 2 tablespoons glamourII matte per half cup.
Not 1 cup full in two coats, and I also give it a fog before the first coat.
Temperature or contamination is my guess of what went wrong with your pinholes.
Will another coat even them out?
One other thing, did you homogenize the mix?
Gotta fully incorporate the dilution or all bets are off
which reminds me, did you add air somehow to the material?
Is your spray tip good?
Like is it at all spitty?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:28:01 am by Rocco Penny »

Trustcobass

spraying canvas
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 09:36:04 am »

Hey guys... well it sounds like what is going on is that I used to use Lexjet gloss canvas (which ive used and sprayed for 2 years with no issue at all) already has a coating on the canvas and then i would spray a heavy coat of glamour 2 and all is well... so lexjet quit selling the gloss canvas ... my rep said the company that made the canvas was going out on their own to sell with out them.. if anyone knows who made this canvas or where I can get it, let me know... it was amazing... anyway, so now that I use the BC LYve canvas which has no coating at all on it,, and I just went and sprayed 1 heavy coat like I was used to with the gloss canvas.. well that is probably what is going on... too heavy of a coat at first... maybe i should spray really light coats before I go heavy,, I really like the super gloss heavy glamour 2 look...  well thank all of you for your time and help.!!

Neuffy

spraying canvas
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 11:49:42 am »

Quote from: Trustcobass
Hey guys... well it sounds like what is going on is that I used to use Lexjet gloss canvas (which ive used and sprayed for 2 years with no issue at all) already has a coating on the canvas and then i would spray a heavy coat of glamour 2 and all is well... so lexjet quit selling the gloss canvas ... my rep said the company that made the canvas was going out on their own to sell with out them.. if anyone knows who made this canvas or where I can get it, let me know... it was amazing... anyway, so now that I use the BC LYve canvas which has no coating at all on it,, and I just went and sprayed 1 heavy coat like I was used to with the gloss canvas.. well that is probably what is going on... too heavy of a coat at first... maybe i should spray really light coats before I go heavy,, I really like the super gloss heavy glamour 2 look...  well thank all of you for your time and help.!!

I found the exact same thing when I started spraying matte canvas with glamour. A very heavy coat to begin quickly deteriorated into pinholes and fisheyes, truly ruining the canvas. Starting much lighter works well, though. I've found with my HVLP systems I can't have the volume turned up too far or it invariably happens.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
spraying canvas
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 08:33:39 am »

I think that multiple coatings will help, especially on the matte canvas, but what is your dilution?  I use all of the 3 main types of Breathing color canvas, and spray with GII. My dilution is 50/50.  GII is self leveling and over time should even out.  My current method of spraying is 3 coats, but on each coat I go over the canvas twice.  This puts down more GII obviously and at first I thought too much but as it dries it evens out.  I also have found that with matte, the first coating seems to get absorbed by the canvas and just seems to put down a light base.  I still use the Wagner HAVC sprayer, but it works for me for now.  

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

RogerEle

spraying canvas
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 01:35:37 am »

Quote from: Trustcobass
.. so lexjet quit selling the gloss canvas ... my rep said the company that made the canvas was going out on their own to sell with out them.. if anyone knows who made this canvas or where I can get it, let me know... it was amazing... anyway

Don't know where it comes from - I had just recently switched too it with relief that I had found a canvas I likeed!  So, I am bummed.

I did a web search for Gloss Canvas and ran into this web page
http://www.atlex.com/premier/premier-canvas.htm
On it is their
[!--coloro:--][span style=\"color:\"][!--/coloro--]PremierArt Water Resistant Canvas - Gloss - 19mil[/color][/font]   that coincidentally has their gloss canvas also discontinued - so I assume it is the same canvas - maybe a clue to help track it down

I emailed IJ Technologies and asked them if the Lexjet Canvas was their canvas, and if so how it might be available in the future - I also asked for info on purchasing their IJ Canvases ... If I hear something back from them I will pass it on.

Thanks for the heads up on the canvas - I would have found out when I was getting close to running out, which would not have been fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up