Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which is the best month to go to British Columbia?  (Read 5949 times)

lluis

• http://
Which is the best month to go to British Columbia?
« on: January 24, 2010, 03:32:24 pm »

I'm planning a trip to Canada, focusing specially on Rockies, and I'd like to go in October, less people, cheaper prices. But I'm afraid of raining.
What's best, fall or should I go in summer? What I really hate is rains, they will ruin the travel. But maybe it can rain anytime.
Is there any canadian hearing?
Could you recommend no-missing places?

Thanks a lot!

Lluis

Craddosk

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 04:58:44 pm »

What part of the rockies? BC is a big place. I'm assuming your going near Vancouver/Fernie area and avoiding the Jasper (AB), Smithers, Valemount/McBride, North part of the province area.

Most times are great to go for shooting the landscapes. June, July, August are going to be for maximizing sun and minimizing bad weather (but maximizing tourists). If your near the coast, October is when the rainy season starts, and some mountains will get snow. Mid to late October, your looking at most mountains having at least a dusting on their higher sections, while lower down it'll be chilly, but shouldn't have that much snow that sticks.

How long are you looking to spend? Canada is a really big place, I could happily (and I have) spent months in the National/Provincial parks around Fernie, Blairmore/Coleman, Canmore, Banff, Lake Louis, Jasper, Prince George area. If your looking to maximize views of mountains, look around Banff and Jasper. If your going for animals, look into Jasper National Parking during the early/mid fall, and you should see a fair number of animals.

If you want more info, just shoot me a PM.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:42:08 am »

You really need to be a little more specific.  BC is 944,735 sq km (364,764 sq mi), and our neighbour to the east, Alberta is 661,848 sq km (255,541 sq mi) (thanks to Wikipedia).  We share the rockies between us.  Actually you could subdivide the rockies as well, but we won't get into that.  If you go to say, Prince Rupert in October, you'll get rain probably every day.  That's why it's called a 'rainforest'.  If you go to Oliver or Osoyoos, you'll run into a desert, so not nearly as much rain.  Fort St. John in October, you might well run into snow.  Here in Victoria we haven't had a flake of snow all winter.  You might want to start with hellobc.com and go from there!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

lluis

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:45:17 pm »

Ooops! Sorry for being so little specific!
Well, Canada is a country I always wanted to visit. And of course, doing photography is a great plus in such country. We still haven't a clear idea of the places we want to go. Whats sure is that we don't want to miss the Rockies and visit Banff NP and Jasper, driving for a few days in that area, and we think it's worth visiting Vancouver. We want to spend maybe 18-19 days overall We are now reading Canada guides in order to discover other places. So, staying almost 3 weeks, and having the Rockies as a starting point what else is a must see?
I know BC and Alberta are huge regions but maybe you can advice me if you were me, if you had two options, summer and fall, regarding just the weather, which season would you choose? I know is dependant on the place but if you tell me p.e. that there is a bad weather in Banff in october, I'll definitely choose summer.
I would like to see the top of the mountains dusted, and cilly doesn't annoy me, but if it's raining is a problem.

Maybe you could give me some must see places and, according to that advice me about the best time to go.

Thank you!!

stevenf

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:32:19 pm »

I would pick the last two weeks of September and the first week of October. If you are in the Rockies - this would give you a chance to photograph the Larch Trees and other autumn colours. If you are going to Vancouver you might want to make the trip to the West coast of Vancouver Island.

Steven

Visit My Website

lluis

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 02:20:29 pm »

Quote from: stevenf
I would pick the last two weeks of September and the first week of October. If you are in the Rockies - this would give you a chance to photograph the Larch Trees and other autumn colours. If you are going to Vancouver you might want to make the trip to the West coast of Vancouver Island.

Steven

Visit My Website

Thank you very much.
By te way, you make great pictures!

Lluis

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 03:36:52 pm »

Lluis: Since weather is one criterion you've mentioned, you might be interested in the Environment Canada's Historical Weather page.  You can search any part of the country for weather patterns for a specific day or time period.

Mike.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:58:16 am »

Quote from: lluis
... we think it's worth visiting Vancouver. ...

Ha! This is the understatement of the decade!
I don't live there, but as far as the greatest town I ever visited, outside of my own beloved US and where I'd jump at the opportunity to visit again, Vancouver.
Like San Francisco before they ruined it.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 09:37:43 am »

Fall for the eastern part - Rockies, Spring (late April) for the Coast.

lluis

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 04:55:14 pm »

Quote from: Rocco Penny
Ha! This is the understatement of the decade!
I don't live there, but as far as the greatest town I ever visited, outside of my own beloved US and where I'd jump at the opportunity to visit again, Vancouver.
Like San Francisco before they ruined it.

I'm not underestimating the city. It's just I still haven't been there.

lluis

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 05:01:26 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Lluis: Since weather is one criterion you've mentioned, you might be interested in the Environment Canada's Historical Weather page.  You can search any part of the country for weather patterns for a specific day or time period.

Mike.

Thank you Mike!
I've just taken a quick look and I think this site will be very helpful.

Best Regards!

Lluis

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 08:57:17 pm »

Lluis:  Here's another site that provides text and video information on BC's different regions.  Might give you some ideas on where to go...

Picture BC

Mike.

lluis

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 04:40:20 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Lluis:  Here's another site that provides text and video information on BC's different regions.  Might give you some ideas on where to go...

Picture BC

Mike.

Thank you Mike,
This is a great site with useful info.
You're very kind.

Best Regards

Lluís

Professional

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 04:56:33 pm »

Maybe i should plan for Canada for next year then [2011] because my travel time is between August and November, and i was lucky that everywhere i traveled so far [unfortunately, i travel only once per year] i can see the sun and was nice days and also rains, so i can have some days for photography.

I am really worry as well if i travel to Canada within August up to November [i travel only for 3-4 weeks in one full month, not making part from one month and part from another month] it will be so cold and rainy all the time, next year i think September will be the best option for me as no occasions or special holidays that i can't travel to celebrate with family and friends, or October at most possibilities, also i want to be to the Western part of Canada [and see the Rockies as well], i don't care which place as long i can see the landscape as i want [mountains, waterfalls, greens, lakes, flowers,...].

stevenf

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 06:06:16 pm »

I would recommend trying and get backcountry passes for Lake O'Hara - the hiking and photography is superb. You could also try Mt. Assiniboine park.

Steven

Visit My Website

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 06:08:25 pm »

Definitely Banff/Jasper area in the fall... late September early October.  I live in Alberta and visit the parks on a regular basis (season pass).  

If timing permits we might even bump into each other.  

Kelly

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »

Quote from: stevenf
I would recommend trying and get backcountry passes for Lake O'Hara - the hiking and photography is superb. You could also try Mt. Assiniboine park.

Steven

Visit My Website
Shucks, Steven! Don't you know you're supposed to keep Lake O'Hara a secret? I've only been there three times (last time actually stayed at the Lodge -- Yum!), but  IMHO, Lake O'Hara, with its collection of neighboring hanging valleys (Oesa, Opabin, McArthur, etc.) has to be the most exquisite place I've ever photographed or hiked.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stevenf

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 01:19:47 pm »

Here are some postcard type images from Lake O'Hara. These were taken many years ago -  they will give you an idea for the scenery.

I hope this helps.

Steven

Visit My Website
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:12:24 pm by stevenf »

stevenf

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 02:03:28 pm »

Here are a few images from the Vancouver Island - I hope this helps. We spend almost 3 to 4 weeks a year photographing on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Steven

Visit My Website
Pages: [1]   Go Up