Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hamburg: frozen Alster and people  (Read 1543 times)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Hamburg: frozen Alster and people
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:34:07 pm »

Driving home tonight from the exhibition of Paul Himmel and Lilian Bassman I saw this scene .. quickly parked the car
and tried what was possible at this darkness. I reality the scene looked much darker.
Though the photograph is far from technically perfect I like it.

Comments on a technically mistaken shot ?

[attachment=19709:IMG_1209...ownsized.jpg]

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 03:01:38 pm »

For a grab shot I think it turned out pretty well.  It would be nice to be a little farther to the right so that the bend in the river isn't cutting your image in half so to speak, but overall, I like it.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 11:03:09 am »

I don't very often disagree with Mike, but this time I do. I don't see a problem with the bend in the river. I'd call this a first class street shot, and yes, you can make a street shot across a river. To me, what makes it really work is the bright area on the left balanced by the bright lights of the city on the right. Also, the small diagonal made by the harbor lights just below the city lights offsets the slight diagonal of the reflection of the street light. The person under the street light tops everything off. Without the human figure it would be a lot less. My only beef is with the unidentified blob protruding into the left edge of the picture, about half way up. I think I'd clone that out. I wouldn't crop, because the run of the fence is important.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:09:53 am by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 03:10:32 pm »

/me blushes

Thanks !

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 04:39:09 pm »

Quote from: RSL
I don't very often disagree with Mike, but this time I do. I don't see a problem with the bend in the river. I'd call this a first class street shot, and yes, you can make a street shot across a river. To me, what makes it really work is the bright area on the left balanced by the bright lights of the city on the right. Also, the small diagonal made by the harbor lights just below the city lights offsets the slight diagonal of the reflection of the street light. The person under the street light tops everything off. Without the human figure it would be a lot less. My only beef is with the unidentified blob protruding into the left edge of the picture, about half way up. I think I'd clone that out. I wouldn't crop, because the run of the fence is important.
Hey, if two people agree on everything, one of them is unnecessary!  

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up