Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark Dubovoy's Leica M9 Rejoinder  (Read 8973 times)

Nemo

Mark Dubovoy's Leica M9 Rejoinder
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 06:02:32 am »

Quote from: dseelig
For me I have to have an optical viewfinder anything else is a waste for me.

That is OK.

But I am thinking on a clip-on EVF (on the hot shoe). So you can buy it or not, just like any optical accessory viewfinder.

Many people use extreme wide angles, or macro lenses (the macro-elmar 90mm), or teles (90mm, 135mm), or multi-focal lenses (Tri-Elmars) and they have to buy expensive accessories: viewfinders, googles...

Live view + accessory EVF would replace all these gadgets, and it would allow new possibilities: new macro lenses, new tele lenses, new multi-focal lenses, new manual focus methods (like those explained by Reichmann or Dubovoy), more framing precision (when needed), more exposure precision, etc, etc, etc. And last but not least, a "solution" for R lenses, using and adaptor.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 07:12:42 am »

An interesting view on the subject in a recent TheOnlinePhotographer post... My interpretation in form of an executive summary : dentists don't care about the things we're fussing about here.

Not so bad, after all : that leaves the playground free for more adventurous manufacturers with less adventurous prices.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Nemo

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 08:12:23 am »

I cannot fully agree with Mike Johnston here.

Leica M cameras became a Veblen good, that is true, like Macintosh computers during the 90s. The margins were high, but the total units sold were decreasing.

Veblen goods imply increasing demand when prices increase, but there is a limit.

A Leica M camera may be a great photographic tool, specially if it is updated for more versatility. But the price must be into reasonable limits.

rickk

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 10:21:12 am »

Quote from: NikoJorj
An interesting view on the subject in a recent TheOnlinePhotographer post... My interpretation in form of an executive summary : dentists don't care about the things we're fussing about here.

Not so bad, after all : that leaves the playground free for more adventurous manufacturers with less adventurous prices.

So, is there reasonable hope for Cosina to source digital innards for one of their Voigtlander Bessa M-mount bodies or for an Epson R-D[>1] or for a digital Zeiss Ikon or for another player to create a larger-sensor digital base for M-mount lenses?

For now, the Micro Four-Thirds cameras with adapter seem like an OK option, except for that pesky focal-length issue (although it does sort of address Thom Hogan's lack-of-telephoto issue).

Anyhow, may there be more niche cameras.

Rick

NikoJorj

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 11:18:42 am »

Quote from: Nemo
Leica M cameras became a Veblen good [...]
Quite ironic for something seen at first like a toy camera, if one thinks about it! O tempora, O mores...

But I'm not saying that a Leica M cannot be a fine photographic tool, of course.
The question is more in terms of "what market are M aimed at", which settles (or rockets in the dentist's case) their price.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

NikoJorj

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 11:36:18 am »

Quote from: rickk
So, is there reasonable hope for Cosina to source digital innards for one of their Voigtlander Bessa M-mount bodies or for an Epson R-D[>1] or for a digital Zeiss Ikon or for another player to create a larger-sensor digital base for M-mount lenses?
Cosina made the Epson R-D1 and the Zeiss Ikon RF, didn't they? The ball is in their court...
At least if one thinks some rangefinder experience is necessary.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Nemo

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 12:45:17 pm »

Quote from: NikoJorj
Cosina made the Epson R-D1 and the Zeiss Ikon RF, didn't they? The ball is in their court...

The first one was a project of Epson/Seiko. The second one is a project (and design) of Zeiss. Cosina was the manufacturer of the body, viewfinder, rangefinder.

Cosina would need a partner for electronics and software development.

Epson wasn't very interested on this line of cameras, and the R-D1 was the first and last of the series.

Nemo

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 04:41:58 pm »

Leica FILM cameras were Veblen goods. Digital cameras, like any other electronic product, aren't and cannot be Veblen goods.

An interesting article about focus accuracy...

The Online Photographer: Focusing Follies

(The Online Photographer, Ctein).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up