Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anybody tried Moab's Entrada paper?  (Read 5692 times)

lluis

• http://
Has anybody tried Moab's Entrada paper?
« on: January 23, 2010, 04:39:12 pm »

Hi all,

I'm told is a very good paper, similar to Epson's Ultrasmooth Fine Art paper, which I like a lot, but is very expensive.

Thanks!

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 07:10:20 pm »

very popular paper, particularly with students because of price, obviously. I've seen many nice prints on it, using it at workshops etc.. The last little bit of possible gamut and dmax, if you want it, has to be attained by going up in price.
A lot of cost conscious but demanding artists use it. The double sided version is used frequently for custom art books.
Tyler

Paul Sumi

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 10:45:35 pm »

It's my favorite matte paper (on an Epson R2400) and I like both its surface texture and feel in hand.  As noted, not the paper to use on images demanding that extra bit of Dmax or really deep blacks.

One caveat - use a wide soft hair brush to brush away away any stray paper particles before printing.

Moab offers sample packs so you can test their papers using your images, printer and workflow.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:46:43 pm by Paul Sumi »

francois

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 04:39:55 am »

I've also used it and it is one of my prefered papers for matte printing. I tried it in both bright white and natural. Follow Paul's advice about the dust.
Francois

lluis

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:44:31 am »

Thank you all!!
I'll try it.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 11:42:10 am »

Whats a paper to get that extra dymax?  

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 08:23:12 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul Sumi

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 12:39:55 pm »

Quote from: Paul2660
What a paper to get that extra dymax?  

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

Generally, luster or glossy papers have higher Dmax than matte. A lot of people are using the various baryta papers.

Paul

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:56:20 pm »

I used moab entrada exclusively for a couple years. I liked it a lot.  It looks fantastic behind glass.  One problem with it though was that it occasionally had trouble feeding on my epson 2400 printer.  It also folds very poorly (if that matters to you).
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 01:05:01 pm »

Quote from: Paul2660
What a paper to get that extra dymax?  

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
For matte papers, Museo MAX gives a high D-Max, otherwise you need to go to a glossy or semi-glossy paper as noted.  From my perspective I print on both types of papers depending on the image.  I've also found that some textured papers are good for certain images (Museo Textured Rag or Hahnemuhle William Turner are both good in this regard).  You just need to experiment.

lluis

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 01:13:34 pm »

Quote from: Alan Goldhammer
For matte papers, Museo MAX gives a high D-Max, otherwise you need to go to a glossy or semi-glossy paper as noted.  From my perspective I print on both types of papers depending on the image.  I've also found that some textured papers are good for certain images (Museo Textured Rag or Hahnemuhle William Turner are both good in this regard).  You just need to experiment.

I also print on both kinds of papers. For what I call "more iconic" pictures, when normally there isn't so much detail, for portraits and for B&W, I love matte paper. Otherwise, I find that landscapes and general views, specially with a lot of detail, demand more glossy paper (well, not sctrict glossy, which I don't like, but a luster or semigloss). Lately I printed a quite basic picture of squared blocs of granite, a monument, and I tried first wit matte paper. But the result disappointed me. The paper textures made the squares and lines to not to be absolutely straight, and the strenght of te picture was partially lost. As you say, is all about experimenting...

Lluis

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 03:41:36 pm »

I'm currently getting best matte DMax , D range (DMax-DMin) and gamut on Canson Rag Photographique (CRP).
CRP also has thinner dual coated version for books.Arches Velin Museum Rag is very close. After that comes  Hahnemuhle Photo Rag, then Museo papers.
 Actually with Museo papers I have found Portfolio performs better than Max.
I have not tried Entrada.
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 10:34:59 pm »

Entrada Natural has been my matte paper of choice for several years.  There is really nothing I don't like about it.  Except remember to dust it off...I haven't found this to be a problem but due to various reports on the problem I clean it before use.

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 09:28:55 am »

It should be noted that *all* cotton based papers should be brushed off prior to use. The reason is that when rolls are converted to cut sheets the cuttings from the edges aren't entirely vacuumed up, and some can end up on the surface of the paper. After printing one of those loose fibers can fall off and then you see unprinted (white) where you would expect ink to be. Some people have incorrectly referred to this situation as flaking, however it is a simple explanation to something inherent to all cotton sheets of paper (not typically rolls).
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 09:43:42 am »

Quote from: abiggs
It should be noted that *all* cotton based papers should be brushed off prior to use. The reason is that when rolls are converted to cut sheets the cuttings from the edges aren't entirely vacuumed up, and some can end up on the surface of the paper. After printing one of those loose fibers can fall off and then you see unprinted (white) where you would expect ink to be. Some people have incorrectly referred to this situation as flaking, however it is a simple explanation to something inherent to all cotton sheets of paper (not typically rolls).
Not brushing leads to one of the most common failures of the paper to properly load in the rear feeder of the Epson 2880 or 3880 printers.  It's not just the printing surface that needs to be brushed but the reverse side as well.  Even if you brush the print side the chance of stuff getting on the rollers and leading to misfeeds is very high.

EduardV

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 12:14:18 pm »

I printed several scrapbooks of my pictures on Moab Entrada, dual-sided, with an HP Z3100, with great outcome. The only downside is
blacks, quite poor and disappointing. Apart from that the paper is wonderful, good color and texture.

If you want I can show you my work on it, and since I still have some left, I can also give you a few sheets of paper to give it a try.

abiggs

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 12:33:26 pm »

Eduard-

I suspect you are not using the most optimized paper type as your starting point on your Z3100. I am getting great results on my Z3200, however just like any paper on a Z series you have to experiment with finding the best paper type to use as the starting point.
Andy Biggs

EduardV

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 03:06:25 pm »

Eduard-

I suspect you are not using the most optimized paper type as your starting point on your Z3100. I am getting great results on my Z3200, however just like any paper on a Z series you have to experiment with finding the best paper type to use as the starting point.

Hi Andy.

Could you please elaborate more on that? Make any paper suggestions?

I'm very happy with the paper, and I'm planning to order some more. But
I won't be using it for dark images or photos with lots of black. Thanks very much
Eduard

abiggs

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 03:09:05 pm »

I played and played around for an entire day with my Z3200, and I finally found that using Fine Art Paper (more ink) was the best starting point. I am not sure if that option is available to you or not on the Z3100, but it worked over here. I get excellent blacks on Entrada, and I am not sure where your expectation is coming from that you cannot get good blacks with the paper. Cotton papers, as a broad category of papers, certainly cannot reproduce a deep black like a luster or fiber paper, but Entrada is every bit as good as other cotton papers on the market for deep blacks and rich colors.
Andy Biggs

EduardV

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 03:39:26 pm »

I played and played around for an entire day with my Z3200, and I finally found that using Fine Art Paper (more ink) was the best starting point. I am not sure if that option is available to you or not on the Z3100, but it worked over here. I get excellent blacks on Entrada, and I am not sure where your expectation is coming from that you cannot get good blacks with the paper. Cotton papers, as a broad category of papers, certainly cannot reproduce a deep black like a luster or fiber paper, but Entrada is every bit as good as other cotton papers on the market for deep blacks and rich colors.

I can't remember what settings I use for Entrada, but as soon as I can I'll check that, and tweak it.

Thank you very much.
Eduard

lluis

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 02:48:18 pm »

Quote from: EduardV
I printed several scrapbooks of my pictures on Moab Entrada, dual-sided, with an HP Z3100, with great outcome. The only downside is
blacks, quite poor and disappointing. Apart from that the paper is wonderful, good color and texture.

If you want I can show you my work on it, and since I still have some left, I can also give you a few sheets of paper to give it a try.

It would be great to see your work!
If you want you can give me your phone number and I will be glad to see it.

Fins aviat,

LluĂ­s
Pages: [1]   Go Up