Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Save for Web and Devices  (Read 2353 times)

Peter S

Save for Web and Devices
« on: January 23, 2010, 12:02:09 pm »

As I understand, from reading and my own experiments in making audio visuals, it makes absolutely no difference to a video screen what the ppi is set at.  A crop 1024 x 768 at 10 ppi looks identical with one at 100 ppi.  Why is therefore that Save for web and devices in Photoshop always produces an image that has its document size reolution shown as 72 ppi which is the figure that used to be erroneously quoted as being best for images to be displayed on monitors?  Does this help to perpetuate the wrong message?

Many thanks
Peter

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Save for Web and Devices
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 12:09:38 pm »

The message isn't necessarily "wrong". It's right for all those displays which have a resolution of 72 PPI. It's just that these days most displays resolve in the range of the mid to high 90s. But it's not a train smash in terms of this algorithm. Simply means the image dimensions on the display will not be the same as envisioned in <Save for Web and Devices>. What matters more is the total pixel dimensions of the image. A maximum linear dimension in the range of 800 to 1000 pixels for web display should be good.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Peter S

Save for Web and Devices
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 12:12:58 pm »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
The message isn't necessarily "wrong". It's right for all those displays which have a resolution of 72 PPI. It's just that these days most displays resolve in the range of the mid to high 90s. But it's not a train smash in terms of this algorithm. Simply means the image dimensions on the display will not be the same as envisioned in <Save for Web and Devices>. What matters more is the total pixel dimensions of the image. A maximum linear dimension in the range of 800 to 1000 pixels for web display should be good.

But displays do NOT have a resolution in ppi do they?  They are simply x pixels wide and y pixels high.

Peter

DarkPenguin

Save for Web and Devices
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:33:48 pm »

Quote from: Peter S
But displays do NOT have a resolution in ppi do they?  They are simply x pixels wide and y pixels high.

Peter

Yes they do.  Divide it out.  How many pixels per inch?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Save for Web and Devices
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 12:53:59 pm »

Peter

By derivation. So for example if your display were 17 inches wide and it displayed 1700 pixels along that width, by derivation its resolution would be 100 PPPI. But essentially, you are correct, it's pixels high by pixels wide.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Peter S

Save for Web and Devices
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 12:56:26 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Yes they do.  Divide it out.  How many pixels per inch?
Well my iMac 24" works out at 93.6 but that is rather meaningless.  If I save an image at 1 ppi it will still show full screen.  The 72 is only relevant for a printed document.  This link http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html  is mainly about scanning and is the thing that got me thinking about the rationale for the 72 in save for web and devices.  I am still no further forward in understanding why the people at Adobe chose this number rather than say 100 or any other number.  Maybe it just doesn't matter.

Peter

Mike Boden

• http://www.mikeboden.com
Save for Web and Devices
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 01:08:20 pm »

Maybe it just doesn't matter.

Peter,

You're right...it doesn't matter. So it's time to move on, because there's no need to spend any more energy on this. But if you're still curious, check out the following link for a little history: 72dpi
Mike Boden - www.mikeboden.com
Instagram
Pages: [1]   Go Up