Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: choosing a ball head  (Read 6867 times)

mokenny

choosing a ball head
« on: January 22, 2010, 04:08:44 pm »

I am trying to decide on which ballhead to buy. I have an Induro C313 tripod. My camera gear is Canon 5D MKII and the biggest lens i use is 70-200/2.8 IS.
I shoot mostly landscape and still life.
Which ball head will be expedient for my type of photography.
My budget is $150-250
I searched the archives but did not see previous posts with specific answers for my situation
Thanks

Mo Kenny

Paul Sumi

choosing a ball head
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 05:12:13 pm »

Kirk Enterprises (BH-3), Acratech (Ultimate Ballhead) and Markins (Q Ball Q3) all make ballheads using the Arca-Swiss quick release system that are slightly out of your budget ($265, $290, $269).  However, you would still have the added cost of buying a camera plate for your 5D2 and a lens plate for your 70-200 to make this work.

I have used the Acratech with a Canon 1Ds2 (and L plate)  and 70-200 2.8 L IS (with lens plate) and it works fine.  No experience with the other 2 brands, though.

You could also buy a quick release ballhead from a tripod maker like Gitzo or Manfrotto.  A quick look shows these are a better fits with your budget.  I haven't any experience with any of these, though.

IMO, though,  it would be to your advantage if you could stretch your budget a bit higher to use the Arca Swiss ballhead and camera plate system used by these companies and others.  Buying used might be a way to go.  You've got a high quality imaging system and it would be a shame to compromise image quality with a ballhead that doesn't securely support your camera and lenses.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:20:34 pm by Paul Sumi »

DarkPenguin

choosing a ball head
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:21:52 pm »

This one seems like it would fit your price range ....

http://www.birdsasart.com/giottos.htm

vandevanterSH

choosing a ball head
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 09:15:26 pm »

. You've got a high quality imaging system and it would be a shame to compromise image quality with a ballhead that doesn't securely support your camera and lenses.
From my experience, it's pay now or pay more later.  With the quality of your camera system, at a minimum I would start with an "top  quality" "L" bracket,  RRS, Kirk, etc, then a compatible quick release clamp (I like lever) and then the ball-head (which you may decide to upgrade later as budget permits.)  The error, that I made (I not paying that much for tripos stuff, ignorance) is that I now have a box full of "second line" incompatible clamps, plates, etc)  If I had picked a first line plate and clamp system at the start and then planned on upgrading head and legs later, I would have saved money.

Steve

DarkPenguin

choosing a ball head
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 09:26:21 pm »

marcmccalmont

choosing a ball head
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 11:34:25 am »

Beer budget and campaign tastes! If you are patient you can find a new Linhof Profi II for under $200 on ebay I have several times
Almost as good as a RRS BH-55 just add the RRS quick release clamp and you have a winner!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Linhof-Profi-II-Ball-H...=item439cc293ba
http://cgi.ebay.com/LINHOF-PROFI-BALLHEAD-...=item588595627f

Marc
Marc McCalmont

vandevanterSH

choosing a ball head
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 11:43:15 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

I just read the "bythom" from your link.  As a hobbyist, there was no way that I was going to spend $1000+ on a TRIPOD.  Well,  I went through the "process"  that is outlined in the article and ended up spending a lot more than if I had done it right the first time.  He is correct when he says in  Serious Support  "I can save you at least US$700: just buy the right stuff the first time. "

steve

jake21

choosing a ball head
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 12:10:21 pm »

Markin ball heads are quite nice at a reasonable price.

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
choosing a ball head
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 01:48:57 am »

I have been using Really Right Stuff ball head for a couple of years. I do not baby my equipment, and it looks like hell and works great. I particularly like the low center of gravity, which helps keep the tripod balanced and also helps in controlling the camera while shooting. It beats the daylights out of my Arca ballhead.

David Saffir
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
choosing a ball head
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 05:05:11 pm »

The first ballhead I bought years ago (couldn't afford much else then) was a Manfrotto 498 Midi...on which I later put a Manfrotto 625 Hex. quick release adaptor set. Btw...I love this QR adaptor....very stable, and I can click it open with one hand.  I sometimes use a comparable zoom lens on it and it works fine.  Is it the best? No.  Does it work extremely well?  Yes. I used this same beat up head for a shot to be published this spring in a book on old homes of New England by Rizzoli -  view looking down from the top of a two story winding stair - camera was hanging out in space (used a 055 Manfrotto tripod with the horiz. arm).   The total cost now would be around $150 or so....you could also do the 490 Maxi head which is not much more.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

DarkPenguin

choosing a ball head
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 12:54:35 pm »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
I just read the "bythom" from your link.  As a hobbyist, there was no way that I was going to spend $1000+ on a TRIPOD.  Well,  I went through the "process"  that is outlined in the article and ended up spending a lot more than if I had done it right the first time.  He is correct when he says in  Serious Support  "I can save you at least US$700: just buy the right stuff the first time. "

steve

I was in the early stages.  I had bought a couple of tripods and a couple of heads.  That tripod nearly visited the bottom of Lake Superior more than once.  I was looking at the next step up of products when I read that article.  Jumped to much better equipment.  (Thankfully feisol arrived with a cheap quality CF tripod to make it easier.)

Jonathan Cross

choosing a ball head
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 04:20:02 am »

Quote from: mokenny
I am trying to decide on which ballhead to buy. I have an Induro C313 tripod. My camera gear is Canon 5D MKII and the biggest lens i use is 70-200/2.8 IS.
I shoot mostly landscape and still life.
Which ball head will be expedient for my type of photography.
My budget is $150-250
I searched the archives but did not see previous posts with specific answers for my situation
Thanks

Mo Kenny

If you do landscape and still life, why are you after a ballhead?  I gave up ballheads a while ago in favour of a geared head.  I use a Manfrotto 410 junior geared head, and have never regretted buying it.  The same applies to anyone I know who has one.  OK it may be heavier than a ballhead but the accuracy and ease of control are so much better.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
choosing a ball head
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 11:27:52 am »

I agree with the response of vandevanterSH and others who have said basically the same thing.  I think you would be best served saving $ for a month or 2 until you can afford a quality unit.  I use Really Right Stuff ball heads, and find them exceptional.  They give recommendations as to the suggested loads for each head on their web site.  There are several other brands that are excellent, so check others out.  Bottom line is that you will depend on the head and tripod for basically every image you take for a long time.  Get good stuff now and it will outlast many cameras.  You have a decent tripod so don't foul it up with a poor head.  If you do you will soon find yourself very unhappy.

vandevanterSH

choosing a ball head
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 12:11:09 pm »

I think you would be best served saving $ for a month or 2 until you can afford a quality unit. I use Really Right Stuff ball heads, and find them exceptional.
As a person who went with the "expensive" incremental approach, the biggest improvement to stability and ease of use was the dedicated camera "L" plate followed by the lever clamp.  "Spend $140 on a camera plate?? Are you crazy??"  Those would have been my thoughts 5-6 years ago.  Turned out, the "L" bracket was the best use of the $$ spent on up-grades.

Steve

DarkPenguin

choosing a ball head
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 01:13:18 pm »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
I think you would be best served saving $ for a month or 2 until you can afford a quality unit. I use Really Right Stuff ball heads, and find them exceptional.
As a person who went with the "expensive" incremental approach, the biggest improvement to stability and ease of use was the dedicated camera "L" plate followed by the lever clamp.  "Spend $140 on a camera plate?? Are you crazy??"  Those would have been my thoughts 5-6 years ago.  Turned out, the "L" bracket was the best use of the $ spent on up-grades.

Steve

L brackets are tremendous.  My brother in law owns several CNC machines.  I keep thinking I should have him whittle me some l brackets.

vandevanterSH

choosing a ball head
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 09:49:06 pm »

My brother in law owns several CNC machines. I keep thinking I should have him whittle me some l brackets.
I don't know much about machining but after watching the "movie" showing RRS manufacturing, I am surprised that the "L" brackets don't cost more $$.  The plates and other RRS metal "bits" are machined out of rather large metal billets.  Watching how they do it reminded me of the saying about sculpture, "you just remove the stone that isn't the statue."

Steve

mokenny

choosing a ball head
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 10:38:52 pm »

I just wanted to thank everybody for chiming in with their suggestions and advise.
I decided to buy the Markins M10 ballhead. It should be arriving anyday now.
Once again, thanks

Mo Kenny
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:39:19 pm by mokenny »
Pages: [1]   Go Up