Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Personal style?  (Read 5632 times)

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
Personal style?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 08:59:16 am »

if you want a personal style and are really looking for one, you will more then like likely not find it.
just do what you normally do best and like and let style find you!

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
Personal style?
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 11:04:33 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
I have a feeling that any photographer who gets more than ten really good years out of the business is doing something pretty remarkable. The suspicion is that after that we all become old hat, regardless of whether we still manage to find work or not. Maybe the solution is migration into another area that's related.

Rob C

Well, I've been at it for twenty years now. At a recent portfolio showing, a creative director called my work "fresh." Felt good to be doing something as long as I and not only be relevant, but doing work that's considered new and interesting. I love it that I'm doing some of the best work of my career.

The "solution" is to continually seek out work that you love. Doing nothing but client work leads to burnout and stagnation.

I've completely reinvented my work several times throughout my career. The work that I'm doing now looks nothing like what I was doing five years ago which looks nothing like what I was doing five years before. Yes, there's common threads, but I get bored after doing the same thing so I'm always looking for new ways to express myself through my photography.

Developing a personal style takes time. For most folks, it takes years. Even then most photographers' personal styles are weak and boring.

John

Dansk

Personal style?
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 01:49:42 pm »

Searching for a style is about as sensible as searching for your mind... You have a mind and at least in my experience i did not have to search for it so I'll assume the same was true for you. I'd say its rather the point of CREATING a style as apposed to finding one or searching for it.

Shoot what your passionate about and what you imagine being something great. Of course to expect greatness on your first efforts is in all practicality, impossible. After your attempts, study your work. See what you did that you like and make changes on the elements your not pleased with and try again. This process will eventually lead you on the road of enough repeat work trying to nail the "perfect shot" that you will fall into one of two categories... The OCD type photographer who simply OBSESSES with every last detail in his/her work and is never satisfied with where they are at and continually tries to prove to oneself that you can attain such imaginary place and tend to keep trying to improve on the same work.

Or...

You'll get bored shooting the same "brown paper bag" over and over and start with another concept that you find new and inspiring and so on which will lead to variety and likely more failures but new and exciting victories.

If you fall into the first category AND you actually grow into some very high grade talent you will "find your style" so to speak that others will use to describe you. If you lean towards the second catergory you probably wont care much about style as much as searching for the next great way to shoot ??? ( insert subject ) and although you may have an excellent body of work you will remain "style less" so to speak

tomholland

• http://www.tomhollandphoto.com
Personal style?
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 04:25:15 am »

From an old interview:

2. How would you describe your photographic style?

That is sort of a loaded question; I am not really sure what my style is. I do know the frameworks that I like to work within. When I say framework I mean the different elements that make a photograph; like: subject matter, lighting, graphic elements around the subject matter, clothing, hair and make-up, and lastly the mood of the subjects and how it relates to their surroundings.

I like to think that I have a consistency in the frameworks that I use, and I guess these frameworks might be regarded as a style, but I don't know the name for it.

archivue

Personal style?
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 05:12:27 am »

no style at all is a successful style sometimes !
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up