Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Take a look please...  (Read 2459 times)

RobReuthal

Take a look please...
« on: January 22, 2010, 04:02:08 am »

...if you have some time please spend they for al look to my new designed homepage, I refesh it this week and hope it works properly for Firefox & IE or Opera and clones. If any have to much time he may help me with the translation of "Über mich/About me" that were really nice because my english is SO especially , so I think noboby understand my translation !       --> reuthal.de

btw. dont forget the guestbook  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:01:33 am by RobReuthal »

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Take a look please...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 02:47:03 am »

My first impressions:
  • The header is way to tall: unless the viewer has a really large screen, one has to scroll down to see any content at all.
  • The texts on the header look "clickable", but they aren't.
  • The header style is completely different to your photography stile.
  • The moving effect on the menu is unneeded and distracting.
  • There is a "Designed by" text, but the name of the company is almost invisible (font color y same as background color).
  • What is the point about the country identification gadget? I already know where I am...
PS: Sorry if my comments sound too harsh, it was not my intention.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:47:30 am by EduPerez »

RobReuthal

Take a look please...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 03:27:42 am »

Quote from: EduPerez
My first impressions:
  • The header is way to tall: unless the viewer has a really large screen, one has to scroll down to see any content at all.
  • The texts on the header look "clickable", but they aren't.
  • The header style is completely different to your photography stile.
  • The moving effect on the menu is unneeded and distracting.
  • There is a "Designed by" text, but the name of the company is almost invisible (font color y same as background color).
  • What is the point about the country identification gadget? I already know where I am...
PS: Sorry if my comments sound too harsh, it was not my intention.

Critique must be harsh sometimes    

The text I change, youre not the first with the opinion that´s it´s clickable
The header ist fixed in this Script and not changeable
The "Style" hmmm I´m finally not so happy with this but I´m not sure what a style I must take that fits with my photography art ? Maybe only other text style ? Or the backround ? Suggest me !
I look on the Gadget because the country identification , maybe it´s adjustable

Thanks for your Suggestions Robert

fredjeang

Take a look please...
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 01:01:40 pm »

Hi Rob,

I've been a web designer until recent for a long time so I can give you a few clews from my experience.

1) Coherence
This has something to do with "a-choice-for-all". There is no bad design, just that when you make a choise you have to "push" it
to the limits.
If you choose to have a text in german and a translation in english, you also have to do it in the menu items.
Example: Über mich / About (me).
As Edu said, Header is different from your picture style.

2) Priorities
What's the most important? The pictures I guess. With such a big banner, or you make it so that it shows
a selections of your pictures, o you have no choise than reducing the heigh.
a) If you want the banner to be the reference point of atraction, you have to do it totaly.
 If you want the banner to be just a decoration, you have to "soften" its presence reducing it so the material will
be on the reference point.

3) Usability
In the buttons, the text that move on the right when on rollOver is very distractive and a little brutal.
You really don't need it and a simple color change will do the job.

Inside the galleries, the red color on typo does not match with the gray because it has about the same % and needs to be darken or lighten.

The good point, (and it is smething I'd like to see more) is that I can use  keyboard arrows to change the frame: very good.

A mistake in CSS makes the menu layer invade the banner when enter the gallery. Look for it in your css file.

The green arrow that opens the info file is not that clear. ( I found its function after a while ).

3) Design
The footer banner is really, I mean really! distractive. Too much graphic information so your pictures are "eaten" by it.
In fact, because of it, your pictures are in the second plan while the overall design is too present.
Try to be more simple, take out all the unnecesary visual distractions.

The title "Reuthal De" is not emphasized enough, needs clear reading. this is very important. It is lost with the other elements.

The "design by" is useless, unless you are Karin Rashid, nobody cares about it.

If you clean the design and change some details, you will see how much it will gain.  

Regards,

Fred.

RobReuthal

Take a look please...
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 03:03:40 pm »

O.K. I´ve made some changes now , for me  looks better now but I´m don´t 100% happy with the changes , I don´t know what but somewhat works not for me ?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 03:05:21 pm by RobReuthal »

fredjeang

Take a look please...
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 04:45:23 pm »

Quote from: RobReuthal
O.K. I´ve made some changes now , for me  looks better now but I´m don´t 100% happy with the changes , I don´t know what but somewhat works not for me ?
It is better, you are on the right way.

cheers,

Fred.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Take a look please...
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:52:59 pm »

I like it much better now!

About the stile: when I wrote the stiles did not match, I was trying to say that the header inspired me something "aggressive" or "grunge", but your photographs are "calm" or "clean" (I hope you understand what I try to say). I find the one you have now fits more your style; I still find it a bit to high, it occupies too much screen (are you sure you cannot change it? why cannot just reduce the size and change the css).

We are getting into the fine details now...
  • There are several grey rectangles on top and bottom of the menu; I would try to get rid of them.
  • There is a gap between the header and the content (and not between the content and the footer).
  • The background colours from the form fields at the "Guestbook" could improve.

I'm beginning to enjoy this!

RobReuthal

Take a look please...
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 05:40:28 pm »

I think I know what you mean, last two days I doved a little deeper into the Script (I´m a rookie    ) and found some parameters to change the sizes from header etc. , even the gallery I´ve changed . Next days I´ll look for the fine details but the most of the css-sheet are hieroglyphs for me and I´m not sure how to use this    Thanks for your suggestions !
Pages: [1]   Go Up