Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perfect results with Canon's 16-Bit Export Plugin, Green-Tinted results with regular drivers  (Read 3681 times)

Neuffy

I've been happily printing away with my Canon iPF8100 using Canon's brilliant 16-bit Export Plugin. I generate custom profiles using Bill Atkinson's 1728 patch target with i1Match/Measuretool and an i1Pro. Using my i1Pro/Spectraview calibrated NEC 2690Wuxi2, everything has been wonderful, color-management-wise.

As I'm hoping to switch to using Qimage, I noticed that the preview generated by Canon's print driver had a green tint. Thinking that this was simply due to the preview not being properly color managed, I printed a couple of test prints. They, unfortunately, match the preview.

At first I thought this might be due to a driver problem, so I carefully confirmed that all color matching in the driver was set to off. No problem there. Then, perhaps Qimage was to blame? To verify, I tested printing from Photoshop without the export plugin.

Results:
Photoshop using the 16-bit export plugin: Perfect.
Qimage using the same profile: Green tint onscreen in Canon Driver Preview, same green tint in print.
Photoshop using the Canon Driver: Same as Qimage.

(Same results in Relative Colorimetric and Perceptual rendering intents.)

I just can't figure it out. Until I do (or somebody truly wonderful here explains what I'm doing wrong), I'll just stick to using the 16-bit Export Plugin.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/

Since the 16-bit export plugin is not using the exact same code as the regular 8-bit driver, it is unrealistic to expect that the same printer profile will work for both. A profile is only valid for one printer, paper, and (driver + settings) combination. Changing anything can invalidate the profile.

Are you using Snow Leopard by any chance?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:36:32 pm by Jonathan Wienke »

Neuffy

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
Since the 16-bit export plugin is not using the exact same code as the regular 8-bit driver, it is unrealistic to expect that the same printer profile will work for both. A profile is only valid for one printer, paper, and (driver + settings) combination. Changing anything can invalidate the profile.

Are you using Snow Leopard by any chance?

I wouldn't expect the exact same results, no. They should be pretty close though - this is a rather strong green tint.

WinXP 32-bit, actually. Qimage is Windows-only.

Scott Martin

• Onsight

Since the 16-bit export plugin is not using the exact same code as the regular 8-bit driver, it is unrealistic to expect that the same printer profile will work for both.
Profiles are totally interchangeable by design between the driver and plug-in. And if you check the oddly named "Fast Graphic Process" in the driver you're using the exact same code (Canon's impressively fast rendering engine) as the plug-in.

The big thing that one must do in the driver (that's different form the plug-in) is select "No Color Correction" under color mode with the latest drivers. If you're using an older driver set ColorMode>Set>Matching to none. Does that make sense? Not doing so is probably what's causing the green prints. That or your magenta head is clogged (not likely)!
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Neuffy

Quote from: Onsight
Profiles are totally interchangeable by design between the driver and plug-in. And if you check the oddly named "Fast Graphic Process" in the driver you're using the exact same code (Canon's impressively fast rendering engine) as the plug-in.

The big thing that one must do in the driver (that's different form the plug-in) is select "No Color Correction" under color mode with the latest drivers. If you're using an older driver set ColorMode>Set>Matching to none. Does that make sense? Not doing so is probably what's causing the green prints. That or your magenta head is clogged (not likely)!

Unfortunately, I've already confirmed the setting of the driver under Color Settings->Matching. It is correctly set to "Off". (Unless I am somehow totally confused on this point.)

My magenta head cannot be clogged - prints match screen, one way or another. I've printed several test prints, and every one that is through the plugin is matches the file perfectly as displayed in Qimage or Photoshop. Every print through the driver (Qimage or Photoshop) matches the screen - but in the preview which is already tinted green.

I'm just really, really grateful that I still have some method of generating properly color managed prints.

Scott Martin

• Onsight

Quote from: Neuffy
I'm just really, really grateful that I still have some method of generating properly color managed prints.
Yes, the Canon printing plug-in has been a nice, safe printing environment especially on the Mac over the last year while we've all been struggling with the ColorSync printing issues. But you're on Windows and printing with the driver should be easy.  Are you able to check "Fast Graphic Process" for your media type? And you're using Photoshop's print dialog, not Canon's, to select the printer's profile? Perhaps posting a screen grab of Photoshop and the Main driver dialog boxes are in order. There is a simple solution to be found.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Neuffy

Yes, the Canon printing plug-in has been a nice, safe printing environment especially on the Mac over the last year while we've all been struggling with the ColorSync printing issues. But you're on Windows and printing with the driver should be easy.  Are you able to check "Fast Graphic Process" for your media type? And you're using Photoshop's print dialog, not Canon's, to select the printer's profile? Perhaps posting a screen grab of Photoshop and the Main driver dialog boxes are in order. There is a simple solution to be found.

Finally found "Fast Graphic Process" buried under Layout->Special Settings. It's already enabled.

Here's what I believe is a complete settings shot:

Doyle Yoder

In the printer properties in Printer and Faxes there is a Color Management tab. Could anything be set in there that is affecting your output?

Doyle

Neuffy

Quote from: DYP
In the printer properties in Printer and Faxes there is a Color Management tab. Could anything be set in there that is affecting your output?

Doyle

Just tried overriding the windows defaults in those settings, putting in my profile. Result: Whoa. That's horrific. Massive magenta tint. Trying to avoid double profiling by disabling all other color management doesn't work, either.

I'm not sure changing this setting from CNN819BA (default) is the correct method. Seems way too out of the way, and you'd have to change it every time you changed papers wouldn't you?

Doyle Yoder

Just tried overriding the windows defaults in those settings, putting in my profile. Result: Whoa. That's horrific. Massive magenta tint. Trying to avoid double profiling by disabling all other color management doesn't work, either.

I'm not sure changing this setting from CNN819BA (default) is the correct method. Seems way too out of the way, and you'd have to change it every time you changed papers wouldn't you?

There should not be anything there.

Doyle

Neuffy

Quote from: DYP
There should not be anything there.

Doyle

Ah, yeah. Oops. Wrong printer setting. It's empty for the 8100.

I have now isolated the issue to some extent: With all color management compeltely disabled, I get no color cast from a B&W. As soon as I change photoshop's "Color Handling" from "No Color Management" to "Photoshop Manages Colors" I get the color shift with many profiles. Not all, but many. "Printer Manages Colors" does not display the cast.

Oddly, as a general observation, matte paper profiles for the 8100 (both those that I have generated as well as though provided by Canon) tend to be the ones that show a color shift. Glossy profiles do not seem to.

Scott Martin

• Onsight

Oddly, as a general observation, matte paper profiles for the 8100 (both those that I have generated as well as though provided by Canon) tend to be the ones that show a color shift. Glossy profiles do not seem to.
Could this be a media selection issue then? Special 1-5 use photo black and Special 6-10 use matte black ink. Have you tried using "Heavyweight SemiGloss Photo Paper 2" for photo black papers and "Premium Matte Paper" for matte papers for example? Tell us more about your media selection usage.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Neuffy

Could this be a media selection issue then? Special 1-5 use photo black and Special 6-10 use matte black ink. Have you tried using "Heavyweight SemiGloss Photo Paper 2" for photo black papers and "Premium Matte Paper" for matte papers for example? Tell us more about your media selection usage.

All this was with Special 8 selected. I'm certain that I do not have any Photo/Matte black mixup.

Trying with Special 5 selected, Premium Matte (eg. with Premium Matte profile from Canon or with my custom Photo Rag profile), etc: Same green tinted result. I don't think there is any change at all in the preview, although I expect that the end result would be rather problematic. I still get color shifts with a number of Photo Black ink profiles as well, just not as universally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up