Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eizo ColorEdge 243 vs 241 & NEC PA  (Read 7277 times)

AdrianRogers

Eizo ColorEdge 243 vs 241 & NEC PA
« on: January 20, 2010, 12:11:47 pm »

Hi all, apologies to make my first post an Eizo vs NEC topic but it's something I must have some additional input in. I think I've already read most of the current topics on here on the subject!

I'm looking to purchase my first proper reference monitor. Now I know NEC are popular on here being a primarily US based site, but in Europe it seems things are a little different. For one, there isn't the large price difference between NEC and Eizo there seems to be in the US, and two, support for Eizo products in the UK seems much better, and they have a longer waranty (By 2 years).

For this reason I narrowed my choices down to the CG241W and the newer CG243W, omitting the popular 2690 SpectraView (I'm not massively keen on the idea of the same resolution at 26", I always try to go for the finest pixel pitch, not the other way - It's also more expensive than both Eizo options).

The difference is roughly £180, give or take. I know the CG243W sports the newer H-IPS panel and can supposedly output 10bit colour over Displayport (Though I've still not been able to find anything concrete on this as it sounds like it still uses an 8bit panel with dithering) and the 3D LUT.

There are however the new NEC PA series due for release soon, apparently coming with a true 10bit panel, 3D LUT, etc. Depending on the price the shortfalls in warranty could be overcome.

Ignoring the PA series for now, is the 243W worth the extra £180 over the 241W? I would be looking to keep the monitor for a good 3 years, possibly even the full 5 depending on other technology advancements / how consistent it remains, etc.

My workflow is pretty much exclusively AdobeRGB 16bit, and I'm always softproofing for various printers (Mostly inkjet now, 3800 series mainly).

Thankyou for the help! I look forward to becoming a part of the community

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 01:19:15 pm »

Quote from: AdrianRogers
Hi all, apologies to make my first post an Eizo vs NEC topic but it's something I must have some additional input in. I think I've already read most of the current topics on here on the subject!

I'm looking to purchase my first proper reference monitor. Now I know NEC are popular on here being a primarily US based site, but in Europe it seems things are a little different. For one, there isn't the large price difference between NEC and Eizo there seems to be in the US, and two, support for Eizo products in the UK seems much better, and they have a longer waranty (By 2 years).

For this reason I narrowed my choices down to the CG241W and the newer CG243W, omitting the popular 2690 SpectraView (I'm not massively keen on the idea of the same resolution at 26", I always try to go for the finest pixel pitch, not the other way - It's also more expensive than both Eizo options).

The difference is roughly £180, give or take. I know the CG243W sports the newer H-IPS panel and can supposedly output 10bit colour over Displayport (Though I've still not been able to find anything concrete on this as it sounds like it still uses an 8bit panel with dithering) and the 3D LUT.

There are however the new NEC PA series due for release soon, apparently coming with a true 10bit panel, 3D LUT, etc. Depending on the price the shortfalls in warranty could be overcome.

Ignoring the PA series for now, is the 243W worth the extra £180 over the 241W? I would be looking to keep the monitor for a good 3 years, possibly even the full 5 depending on other technology advancements / how consistent it remains, etc.

My workflow is pretty much exclusively AdobeRGB 16bit, and I'm always softproofing for various printers (Mostly inkjet now, 3800 series mainly).

Thankyou for the help! I look forward to becoming a part of the community

The CG243W has H-IPS panel with wider gamut CCFL backlight - so it has better viewing angles and it will softproof 3800 output a little bit better, so personally yes, I'd definetly add extra £180.

But at that price tag you can also consider the magnificent 3090WQXi (or PA301 in february-march), that has higher resolution, and workspace size of 3800 print:
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

AdrianRogers

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 01:57:38 pm »

Thankyou for the suggestion, but can I consider it at that price tag? Looks to be another £200 or so on top, though I can't really find many places that are selling it. I currently have a Dell 3007WFP (+ 2407 for panels) and love the size, but it's just not as important to me as the colour accuracy so I wouldn't mind downsizing. That extra £200 would probably be better spent replacing my poor ageing (about to die a death) Wacom.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:11:47 pm »

Quote from: AdrianRogers
Thankyou for the suggestion, but can I consider it at that price tag? Looks to be another £200 or so on top, though I can't really find many places that are selling it. I currently have a Dell 3007WFP (+ 2407 for panels) and love the size, but it's just not as important to me as the colour accuracy so I wouldn't mind downsizing. That extra £200 would probably be better spent replacing my poor ageing (about to die a death) Wacom.

Excuse me - Eizo panels are expansive where I live, so there's no difference.

A new Wacom is also a good idea (new Intuos4 is fantastic), although I hardly belive your Wacom is dying. To me they seem to be immortal - I still have my first Wacom Art Pad II and it's working...
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

AdrianRogers

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 02:53:21 pm »

New Intuos4 is what I have my eye on  Unfortunately this one has seen it's fair share of travelling with myself and a couple of friends. It's started with some funny movements in Photoshop and poor pressure response. Just time to upgrade and move on!

If anyone replying could be familiar with the UK pricing. As I've said I know the pricing bias is different in the US, and I'm not sure about the rest of Europe, but i'm in the UK and will only be buying my monitor from here. Just to save me some more confusion!
Pages: [1]   Go Up