Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographic Workshops - worth it or not?  (Read 1230 times)

rkissinger

Photographic Workshops - worth it or not?
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:28:05 am »

Hi all!

As I had posted in another section, I am planning a trip to the US this summer (I am from Germany). We are a couple of people planning a
trip to California. And I am the only "photo-nerd" to put it like that.  

Now, since it´s my 30th birthday this summer I am thinking about giving myself a special gift. I thought about adding a week long trip on my own just before meeting the
others for our trip round California.

So what to do I thought. A week shooting along Big-Sur could be fun or someting the like. OR participating in some kind of photo-workshop could be fun as well.

I started looking around the net for different workshops (I am mainly interested in landscape photography) and stumbled across Jay Maysel's workshops.
I did watch the LL interview with him and was quite taken with his comments and attitude.

Now, his workshops do come with a steep price tag and I am not really sure what to do. Spending a week by myself shooting in California going exactly where I want to and as long as I want to sounds really fun :-> (Anyone ever traveling with non-photography interested friends will understand that, I guess). Participating in a Jay Maysel workshop does, too.

What would you do?

Thanks for you comments in advance,
René

PS:
Some of my images can be found here: www.kissinger-fine-arts.de
The title maybe misleading, but I do not have any plans for making money with photography ;-> Just doing it for fun!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:23:55 am by rkissinger »

Roger Calixto

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 09:10:16 am »

I would go for the workshop personally. It would be a great opportunity to get some killer shots while learning too. A kind of win win situation, as I see it, since you're not a professional and would probably get a lot from a workshop.

either way, let us know your choice!

{}
Roger
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:07:58 am »

Absolutely do NOT miss an opportunity to take a workshop with Jay. It really is a life changing experience both photographically, artistically but just having the opportunity to spend time with a living legend.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up