Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: are you right or left eyed?  (Read 20644 times)

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
are you right or left eyed?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 10:47:37 pm »

Right Handed

Left eyed - for short distances
Right eyed - for long distances

Mono vision... so depending on which side you sit beside me on you may look attractive or fuzzy.  Poor me another please!  LOL  

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 05:59:33 am »

I am right-handed and was left-eyed, but my magnificent nose made right-eyed.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 09:58:40 am »

Quote from: EduPerez
I am right-handed and was left-eyed, but my magnificent nose made right-eyed.

Right. Most camera makers seem to assume that their customers are either right-eyed or do not have noses!

I guess that makes a case for a view camera: Under the black cloth, either eye can be used.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:59:42 am by Eric Myrvaagnes »
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 11:54:59 am »

Does political correctness have any part to play with this issue?

I was a little disturbed about the black cloth, but I suppose that anything you do in private ... though I do believe, according to the Playboy Philosophy that I read some time last century, there are states where they will jail you for that! Beware!

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 12:22:28 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Does political correctness have any part to play with this issue?

I was a little disturbed about the black cloth, but I suppose that anything you do in private ... though I do believe, according to the Playboy Philosophy that I read some time last century, there are states where they will jail you for that! Beware!

Rob C
Actually, the "dark cloth" that I used to hide under was a politically correct one from Zone V: Black on one side and white on the other. In use, as in reality (in the U.S. anyway), the white side was usually on top.   

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 02:54:30 pm »

Heaven forfend that I should be "left" anything!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 08:11:27 pm »

So for those of you who prefer to focus with one eye over the other, what happens - or doesn’t -when you use the other eye?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:11:34 pm by Justan »

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 01:23:24 am »

Quote from: Justan
So for those of you who prefer to focus with one eye over the other, what happens - or doesn’t -when you use the other eye?

Not much... it was a bit uncomfortable at the beginning, but I got used to it; sometimes I forget about it, and end up pressing some random button with my nose.

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 04:44:55 am »

[quote name='EduPerez' date='Jan 21 2010, 07:23 AM' post='341323']

"Not much... it was a bit uncomfortable at the beginning, but I got used to it; sometimes I forget about it,

and end up pressing some random button with my nose"

Now that's creative!

Rob C

dseelig

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 02:19:49 pm »

Left Eyed , throw right handed , hit a baseball left handed, bowl left handed, write right handed draw left handed and when I was a kid my best punch was a left hook. I close my right eye when focusing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:20:42 pm by dseelig »

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 04:00:04 pm »

Quote from: Justan

Depends on whether you are using the higher or the lower eye: parallax...

Rob C

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 06:10:22 pm »

Quote from: sperera
so Ive heard people talk about being right or left eyed but havent come across any studies or conclusions or anything.......

Me.....I'm right-handed and I'm left-eyed....completely....its not like i do both eyes....I'm SOLELY left-eyed when composing and taking pics.....I wonder why???? any ideas??????

Me too.  Right handed, left eyed.

Jerry

GMohrs

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 08:19:37 pm »

I'm right handed, left eyed. I had never thought about it, but about 10 years ago my optometrist noticed it. It must have been the way I looked into one of his machines. He told me it was unusual for someone who is right handed to be left eyed.

Ray

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 10:01:13 pm »

This seemed a rather trivial topic, so I ignored it. But the weather is hot, the sun is out, and my immediate chore of building a retaining wall behind my new house is temporarily postponed till 4pm.

The concept of the right/left hemispheres of the brain having different functions is interesting. In so-called normal people, and who really wants to be normal (apologies to disabled people), the left side of the brain tends to control the right side of the body, including the right arm, the right leg and the right eye.

But the left hemisphere is also more active in all practical matters, including logical thinking and worrying about your insurance premiums.

The right side of the brain is blissfully unaware of such considerations, and the emphasis is on bliss. The right hemisphere of the brain is often described as the 'artistic' and 'religious' side.

When Buddhist monks achieve their goal of Nirvana, they've succeeded in totally pacifying that troublesome, worrying, practically-oriented left hemisphere.

In such a state, they are of course useless to the world. But it must feel good   .

There's an interesting account by a neuroscientist on TED, who related her experiences whilst undergoing a stroke centred in the left side of the brain. The stroke was not a sudden on/of situation, but a gradual breakdown of the left hemisphere. The neuroscientist experienced the process, as it was happening, of that left hemisphere switching on and off as it struggled to survive. When it was off, there was bliss. When it came back on, the bliss disappeared. It seemed as though the left hemisphere contained all the practical concerns and worries that afflict us all.

Okay. So after that preamble, what could we say about a right-handed, right-footed, right-eyed person, looking through the camera viewfinder with a left eye. Could it be that the shots taken will be more artistic?

If anyone attempts to do some serious study on this issue, I'd be interested in the results.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:03:51 pm by Ray »

Rob C

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 04:42:57 am »

Well, Ray, you could start by becoming a monk or a neuroscientist, preferably both at the same time, but you would have to try to balance that out with shooting transvestites and tripping with tigers. I think I see what you mean about not wanting to be 'normal' in the generally accepted way; isn't norm a dull chap?

;-)

Rob C

Ray

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 07:26:48 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Well, Ray, you could start by becoming a monk or a neuroscientist, preferably both at the same time, but you would have to try to balance that out with shooting transvestites and tripping with tigers. I think I see what you mean about not wanting to be 'normal' in the generally accepted way; isn't norm a dull chap?

;-)

Rob C

Rob.
Of course life should be interesting and an adventure, whatever your age. Who would disagree with that?

Richard Morwood

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2010, 02:55:16 pm »

Quote from: GMohrs
I'm right handed, left eyed. I had never thought about it, but about 10 years ago my optometrist noticed it. It must have been the way I looked into one of his machines. He told me it was unusual for someone who is right handed to be left eyed.
It is not so unusual for a right handed person to be left eye dominant nor for a left handed person to be right eye dominant but is certainly is the minority in each case. I examine people everyday (as an optometrist) who are contralaterally dominant. Most are not photographers nor athletes and blissfully unaware of which eye is dominant until something goes wrong. For example someone developing a cataract in their non-dominant eye only may be totally unaware of it until it is fairly advanced. However if it is their dominant eye with the cataract they tend to notice it much earlier.
I have found this thread very interesting especially since photographers, like people who shoot guns, tend to be very aware of the implications of eye dominance. However I would like to point out that what the right eye sees is not processed only by the LHS brain and vice versa. The right visual field (eg everything that exists to the RHS of fixation) is processed by the LHS of the visual cortex (located at the back of the brain) and vice versa. It is not the eye that is processed by the contralateral part of the brain but the R or L visual field. So what the LE sees to the RHS of fixation is processed along with what the RE sees to the RHS of fixation at LHS of brain. And vice versa.
I am R handed and R eye dominant and 99.9% of the time I photograph with my RE. Occasionally I use my LE especially if, because of the camera position or my position, I can't get my RE to the viewfinder. It is not too difficult to use your non-dominant eye to photograph with if you practice. I guess I have an advantage in that both of my eyes see equally well (if you have a significantly weaker eye you won't be at all comfortable using it) and every day I have to view other peoples' eyes using my LE and suppressing my RE. With practice this can be done without shutting the dominant eye just getting the brain to ignore the image from it.
I have found this useful on occasions taking photographs where I have wanted to be able to frame a moving object in a certain position in a scene without being able to track with the camera. I set up the scene with my RE through the viewfinder but track the object/animal/person/etc movement towards the frame with my LE. As long as the movement is L to R then I can follow it with both eyes open but just using my LE and then when it enters the frame switch to my RE , again with both eyes open and click as necessary. It is easiest when the magnification through the viewfinder is not too far removed from 'normal'. Much harder with a telephoto lens and not really necessary with a wide angle.
Richard

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2010, 03:46:35 am »

One of the most interesting jobs I have ever done was photograph a man who writes books on dyslexia

he see this not a problem but a difference - the brain is doing other stuff he reckons- sometimes useful sometimes not

--

I put the camera to my left eye to take his picture and he said..

You will are probably a  great photographer - LE is good spatial awareness

you probably dont know left from right

and you probably cant remember my name - the left brain has other business

The second and third where true - dont know about the first

--

MOST important it made me understand that my Right Eye Clients may be visually dumb - they just dont perceive the lamp post growing out of the head of the subject - they are too busy remembering peoples names, knowing left from right and being able to spell !

This could explain some 'debates' on set that I have had

S

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Ray

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2010, 04:27:57 am »

Quote from: Morgan_Moore
MOST important it made me understand that my Right Eye Clients may be visually dumb - they just dont perceive the lamp post growing out of the head of the subject - they are too busy remembering peoples names, knowing left from right and being able to spell !

I'm right-eyed, but I've always appreciated the absurdity of a lamp post growing out of the head of a subject, just as I've always appreciated the absurdity of the subject being out of focus whilst the tree behind is in focus.

But I've had the advantage of having a father who was an amateur photographer.

BenjaminKanarek

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2010, 01:32:49 pm »

Quote from: sperera
so Ive heard people talk about being right or left eyed but havent come across any studies or conclusions or anything.......

Me.....I'm right-handed and I'm left-eyed....completely....its not like i do both eyes....I'm SOLELY left-eyed when composing and taking pics.....I wonder why???? any ideas??????

I am right handed and right eye.  I have tried left eye on occasion and just couldn't come to grips with how I viewed reality form that perspective.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up