Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Northern Oregon options for a day or two  (Read 3188 times)

NashvilleMike

Northern Oregon options for a day or two
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:38:46 pm »

I may be returning to the Oregon mid/south coast this summer for some extended shooting, but along the way (I'll be coming down from Seattle) I'll have a spare day or two and am curious - I can do a day at Cannon Beach or I can head inland a bit and head towards Multnomah falls for a day. Any advice? Other options in that area?

This is just a waypoint along the way to other destinations so I won't be able to spend multiple days exploring the area, but I thought I'd ask anyway...

-mike

jdemott

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:42:22 am »

If you will be spending time at the coast anyway, adding another day at Cannon Beach won't give you anything new or different.  Why not drive down I-5 and spend a day in the Columbia River Gorge?  There is a lot more than just Multnomah Falls.  There are a number of waterfall areas that are easily reached by car, but the best experience is hiking a few miles away from the highway.  If you visit in the early summer, you should be able to find lots of wildflowers.  Do a few searches and you should find lots of info about the Gorge.
John DeMott

NashvilleMike

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 12:45:10 am »

Quote from: jdemott
If you will be spending time at the coast anyway, adding another day at Cannon Beach won't give you anything new or different.  Why not drive down I-5 and spend a day in the Columbia River Gorge?  There is a lot more than just Multnomah Falls.  There are a number of waterfall areas that are easily reached by car, but the best experience is hiking a few miles away from the highway.  If you visit in the early summer, you should be able to find lots of wildflowers.  Do a few searches and you should find lots of info about the Gorge.

Thanks for the suggestion - you're right, it might make sense to do something different for the day or so "spare" I'll have getting down there.
Going to Oregon is frustrating (in a good way) for a photographer - too many options, all gorgeous, and simply not enough time to do it all.

-m

gvaughn

• http://www.GregVaughn.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:04:43 am »

If you haven't visited and photographed the Cannon Beach area before, you might want to make that your "spare day" plan - it's certainly one of the iconic Oregon locations.

Otherwise, The Gorge is certainly a great option. In addition to the waterfalls on the Oregon side, you can find some nice views of Mount Hood from the Washington side of the Columbia River. Or make it a loop trip from Portland and take in Hood River Valley and Mount Hood (at Timberline and Trillium Lake).

- Greg
 w

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 12:14:45 pm »

As a person who spends a lot of time in the Columbia Gorge, I'd recommend it, especially if you're already spending time at the coast. There are all the waterfalls along the scenic highway that everyone and his mother has snapped from the road (some people don't even stop the car, but shoot through the [sometimes closed] car window). To really see the gorge, you do need to do a bit of hiking, assuming you are able. If you want to email me, brodyeratgmaildotcom, I'd be happy to make some specific recommendations if I know something about your fitness, your level of photo expertise, your gear, (are you taking an 8x10 or a small digital), and what you like to photograph. Arguably the gorge is best in the fall and winter when the waterfalls are full but it's lovely any time of the year, and considerably warmer in the summer.

Having spent a lot of time at the coast as well, I also think the mid and south coasts are better for scenic-landscape photography, especially from Yachats down to Bandon.

Good luck.

Eric

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 12:18:36 pm »

I forgot to mention, especially if you are from the east. The distances out here are relatively large, don't expect a quick trip to the coast from the gorge, or traveling down the coast. It's 1.5-2 hours from Portland to Cannon Beach, but a lovely ride, and a good 45-60 minutes from Portland to the sites in the Gorge, also beautiful along the Columbia. You may already know this. Seattle traffic is biblical. The theoretical 3 hour trip to Portland can take 4-5 hours if you're unlucky, eg Friday afternoons.

Eric

NashvilleMike

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 09:09:02 pm »

Quote from: brodyer
I forgot to mention, especially if you are from the east. The distances out here are relatively large, don't expect a quick trip to the coast from the gorge, or traveling down the coast. It's 1.5-2 hours from Portland to Cannon Beach, but a lovely ride, and a good 45-60 minutes from Portland to the sites in the Gorge, also beautiful along the Columbia. You may already know this. Seattle traffic is biblical. The theoretical 3 hour trip to Portland can take 4-5 hours if you're unlucky, eg Friday afternoons.

Eric

Hey Eric,

Yea, I've been out to the Pacific Northwest several times, know "the deal" real well, and have sat in some pretty stout traffic jams both in Seattle and in/around Portland. Spent a good part of a week in Bandon a few years ago and loved it, so a return there is the focus of the trip. I'm still not decided on what I'll do - may not until the time gets closer and I look at the schedule and such....

Thanks (all) for the suggestions....

-m

edorm

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 11:17:59 pm »

Quote from: NashvilleMike
Hey Eric,

Yea, I've been out to the Pacific Northwest several times, know "the deal" real well, and have sat in some pretty stout traffic jams both in Seattle and in/around Portland. Spent a good part of a week in Bandon a few years ago and loved it, so a return there is the focus of the trip. I'm still not decided on what I'll do - may not until the time gets closer and I look at the schedule and such....

Thanks (all) for the suggestions....

-m
I love the central and southern Oregon coast but this past summer discovered Astoria. There are some great photo opportunities there in the area. And it's right on your way.

resumner

• http://www.reneesumner.com
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 12:35:11 am »

I second the Columbia River Gorge.  Also nice was Hug Point State Park in northern OR, Fort Stevens, and of course Ecola.  Cannon Beach was OK but I personally liked the others better.  If you fly in to Portland, have your camera handy.  I went right past Mt. Hood.  Awesome.

Renee
Pages: [1]   Go Up